SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalcon_gw

Great Crasula Ovata score today...*pic*

7 years ago

Found this very randomly in a greenhouse. This greenhouse mostly sells flowering annuals and some perennials for unbelievably cheap, but every once in awhile you find randoms. Scored this......for $12 bucks, lol. It's about 2' tall. Made my day..

Can anyone tell me which variety it is? I only have a few regular Jades. Thanks..

Comments (11)

• 7 years ago

Nice! I'd be excited, too!

• 7 years ago

Great score!

• 7 years ago

Just a few days ago, I would have called this a 'Gollum.'

However, there is apparently this particular form with narrower leaves at the base and middle, and more open leaf-tips, called 'Ogre Ears,' a nod to the character from Shrek. You will sometimes see the name 'Shrek's Ears,' but that name is off limits due to copyright.

A very fine score, indeed, especially at that price.

Josh

• 7 years ago

Interesting. Ueqh i figured gollum...but thensaw finger jade, hobbit jade...so manu, amy differemces? Wouldn't this plant be most likely older than any shrek movie? Unless it was called something else before that..

• 7 years ago

Fantastic! I have a small one of these and it is interesting to see how it could grow.

• 7 years ago

Anyone else care to guess which variety it is? Is spoon jade a Cradsula Ovata or Porticulla? Bc it's literally 50/50 depending on what site I look at lol.

• 7 years ago

Did you mean portulacaria? (you wrote...'Porticulla'...?) If so, it definitely is not. I think greenman (Josh) gave best suggestions...

• 7 years ago

Lol yes that's what I mean. I didn't think so but honestly many sites day it is portulacaria...idk

https://dengarden.com/gardening/crassula-portulacea

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Misunderstanding here, sorry. I thought you meant portulacaria - that is a totally different plant (Portulacaria afra). But you were referring to portulacea...so my mistake. Did not want to confuse you.

• 7 years ago

Ahhh. Yeah. As you can see....i am a complete newb when it comes to succulents lol

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County