SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eosinophil

Los Angeles - how to grow tomatoes????

eosinophil
6 years ago

I moved to the Los Angeles area last year. I've lived in the northeast and midwest before, and fresh tomato season has always been a great time of year. I was (foolishly) excited thinking of how well tomatoes would grow here. I had a sad education. They were miserable. No/little fruit, slow, sad looking growth. They were in raised beds and watered (by hand) daily. They were in full sun so I added some shade cloth during the summer, but they were still miserable.

My guess is that I planted too late - so when they were ready to set fruit it was too hot (90+) and that my shade cover wasn't enough.

What kind of shade cover should I use? I've seen numbers like 50% or whatever - if I cover the whole bed will the plants be cooler but not have enough light to grow?

Would it be better to put them in a container like those from gardener's supply with a water reservoir in the bottom?

I haven't planted yet - is it too late (again)? if not, are there any varieties that might do better? I have another bed i could use - it's out of direct sunlight with some filtered light from a eucalyptus tree. Should I try there instead?

Thanks in advance - nothing like a garden -fresh tomato!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting