SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joegrantjr

Thoughts on this landscaping layout? Any recommendations or changes?

Joe Grant
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I am working with a landscaper / nursery on a design for my house in upstate NY. I think we're in zone 5b.

I am including some pics of my front elevation and the drawing ideas created by the nursery/landscaper.

The front of the house is south facing and get's direct sun most of the day.

On the left of the house he is proposing a short versalock retaining wall (50' x 2') because of the sloped elevation to bring up and even out the foundation showing since there is a slope down to the left.

The bed will be mostly black mulch with some cobblestone, washed stone, and med / large boulders.

I have a few questions and wanted to get some thoughts from the group.

1. Does this look like it makes sense for a good design? Is it too much or too little? My wife and I like clean look, easy maintenance, and that looks good year round. Any recommendations to change or improve?

2. Not sure I'm liking the Goldmound Spireas around the 10' Bloodgood Asian Maple...i feel like the yellow will be distracting (color and height) to the beautiful asian maple. Am I wrong? Are there better options / recommendations?

3. My wife isn't a fan of Hydrangeas -- what would you recommend for substitution?

4. Other thoughts?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help!

PS: The center tree in the island near the driveway is a weeping cherry tree.

Comments (18)