SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacob_dohogne

Grass/weed identification and how to eradicate it

J D
6 years ago

Hello, I am a homeowner in NW San Antonio, Tx. Home and lawn is roughly 3 years old, Tif419 Bermuda was laid by the builder, all homes in my area should have Bermuda, however my immediate neighbors do not take care of their yards at all. Last year I noticed a patch of this grass/weed and did not think much of it. This year I have noticed multiple patches of this grass all throughout my yard. Some as large as 6'x6', the invading grass seems to pop up where the Bermuda is not doing well or digging has occurred. I also have 3 dogs that like to run, no digging, which makes things a little more challenging.

I believe that this is centipede grass that is invading my Bermuda, the invading grass looks like Bermuda but has thicker blades, thicker/larger runners, and thicker roots. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me please? I have tried a liberal amount of 2,4 D and have not noticed any browning on the invading grass. I am getting ready to put down some 29 0 5 Fertilizer. Last resort is roundup/glycophosphate, but I would really rather not have large brown spots throughout my yard for the rest of summer. Any ideas or tips? I will get a soil analysis in the near future.

Below pic shows a new runner, I have seen invading grass runners as long 2-3 feet reaching into health Bermuda.

Below pic shows Bermuda on top of pic and invading grass at the bottom.

Comments (3)