SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Help me choose a clematis (or two or three!) for bright shade!

Our new home is on a narrow lot and is situated especially close to our neighbors to the north. They are lovely people, but we would like some privacy when we are sitting on our swing! Unfortunately, we have no more than 6' of side yard on that side of the house, 3' of which is taken up by a sidewalk, so a privacy hedge is really out of the question. Right now there is a forsythia growing beside the porch, but it is totally inappropriate for the space - despite the former owners pruning it within an inch of its life, it has bushed out and is encroaching on the already-narrow walk.

Anyway, we've decided that we would like to replace the forsythia with a trellis that will span most of the area, and grow a clematis or two on it. This is the north side of the house, so it receives very little direct sun, but it's not really deep shade either. Here's a picture of the area:

I took measurements this morning and the distance from the ground to the ceiling of the porch is 11' - we don't need the trellis to come up all the way to the ceiling, but I think we'll want it to be a solid 9-10' tall. The porch is 7' deep from post to post, so we'd be looking at 6-7' in width as well. I assume this would give me space for at least 2 clematis, maybe 3 if they are smaller varieties? I think I'd prefer Group 1 or 2 pruning types, to keep the trellis somewhat covered year-round.

So, what are your favorite Group 1 or 2 varieties or combinations for shade? I prefer purples and pinks, and the deeper, more saturated colors to pastels, but a lot of the commonly recommended types for shade seem to be white/pastel, especially in Groups 1 and 2. Hit me with your best, and thanks in advance!

Comments (12)