SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harpua728

Sprinkler heads and soaker hoses hooked up to same watering zone...

harpua728
6 years ago

Hi there,
I recently expanded my yard by ripping out existing shrubs and planting a new set of privacy shrubs (skip laurels) further out and closer to the property line. I need to install sprinkler heads to water the new grass area and need to install a soaker hose to water the new shrubs. My sprinkler guy said he could put all of it on one zone so that I can simultaneously water the yard while watering the new trees with the soaker.
I think that the two shouldn't be on the same zone so that I can water the shrubs longer than the grass for the first few years when the shrubs need water most, and then do the opposite down the road (water the grass more than the shrubs) once the shrubs are established. I've heard that new trees should get 45 minutes a day with the soaker hose but that would mean watering that section of the yard for 45 minutes a day which would be too much.
The new sprinklers would also be hitting the skip laurels meaning that they would get most of their water via the soaker hose but some from the sprinkler heads themselves. I've heard that skip laurels should not be watered "from above" as this could lead to fungus/disease but it will be tough to water the yard without hitting the new shrubs.
First and foremost, is it ok if both the soaker hose and sprinkler heads are on the same zone? If not ideal, any suggestions without adding a new zone? Am I better off just hooking up the soaker hose to a faucet on a timer and keeping it separate from the rest of the system?
Also, should I try to avoid hitting the new shrubs with the sprinklers or should I not worry too much about that?
Thanks for the help!

Comments (4)