SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bridget_mattox

Blue Agave repotting/ transplanting pups help.

B M
6 years ago

Hey All! I have a Blue Agave that was in desperate need of a repot/ removal of pups. I have lived in TN and MI since I've owned these and move them indoors for winter. This winter the leaves on them started to turn yellow so I knew when it got warm enough I needed to do some work.

Plant 1 before

Plant 2 before

I was horrified when I pulled them out of the pot. I'm not even sure if there was any soil left in the pot. It seemed to be mostly brown dried up roots? Is that from not watering enough? I fought and broke the pups free. I wasn't really sure how much of the stalk that connects the pup to the main plant needed to stay attached to the pup/mom. Did I cut to much from the main plant or pup? Do I need to remove all the brown stuff?

Plant 1

Plant 2

Pups from plant 2. Again with all the brown (dead?) roots. Do they need to be removed?

I thought I had cactus soil but I didn't so I planted them in regular potting soil and gave them a little bit of water. I'm going to get cactus soil and perilite tomorrow and change the soil. What are y'alls thoughts? I'm worried about the pots on the top left and top right pots? The pups are really white. Will they be ok?

Wish I would have came here for advice before doing this but I feel there was no turning back after taking them out of the pot. I know this is a long post so THANKS and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Bridget.

Comments (8)