SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adammcalabrese

Please give me your opinion on soffit lights (photos included!)

Adam Calabrese
6 years ago

Short question: Which do you like better - 25 degree (left) or the 40 degree (right) PAR30 spot? There are 2 photos with different exposures - the real exposure is somewhere in between.

More details:

Our 1969 home has Lightolier soffit lights that go around the entire perimeter of the house. There are 31 bulbs total, 6' - 8' apart and 7' - 8' above ground or wrap-around deck.

An electrical/lighting consultant that I trust told me that the fixtures take PAR30 short neck bulbs, and recommended Satco LED. The beam spread is up to me, but he said he would not go with a narrow 10 degree spot. The previous owners put in A19 bulbs that look splotchy (and ugly to me) because of the wide spread of light. I bought 40 and 60 degree Satco PAR30 LED lights, and also have a 25 degree Sylvania PAR30 halogen light.

The 60 degree light is too wide.

So, my question to you - of the 2 lights in the photos, which do you like better - the 25 degree (left) or the 40 degree (right). The 40 degree Satco has higher lumens than Sylvania, so it is difficult to get a great photo. The real "look" is somewhere between the exposure in the 2 photos I provide.

I'm leaning to 25 degree, and I will get Satco LEDs for all. But I appreciate any feedback.

Comments (6)