SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdrieker

How can I improve this U-shape layout?

Jennifer
6 years ago

I used the IKEA planner to come up with this U-shaped layout for my kitchen. It is my very amateur attempt so I am certain there is room for improvement. I want to end up with a kitchen that is very functional for 2 cooks (or more). The area in the top right corner with the oval table is actually a bay window. I couldn't figure out how to illustrate that in the IKEA planner. I would like to build a window seat into the bay window area so the table and chairs will be recessed into that area a little bit. In the dining room in the bottom left corner, I would like to use a bench on one side to put the table as close to the window as possible. That will leave at least 4 feet for the walk-through space to the right of the table. I also got the idea from someone here to bump out the cabinets next to the fridge so they are flush. That way the regular-depth fridge won't stick out into the room so far. I have my daughter's Girl Scout troop over frequently so I would like to have a large peninsula in the kitchen where 4-6 girls can cook together. I would love a long island but I just don't think it will work in this space. I also would like as much storage as possible. I have one tiny triangle shaped closet on this floor of the house. So would like to add a lot of cabinet space.

Here is the layout:

Here is an view of the space and measurements. I have left out a load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room that I want to remove (right where the yellow arrow labeled 156" is located).

The art room at the bottom is supposed to be a formal living room. We are a very creative family so we converted that to an art room with a huge square table. My kids do homework & projects there. I use the dining room table for my projects (so I don't really want to combine the kitchen and dining room and lose my project space). We eat at the small table in the eating area. So yes, I really do want 3 tables on the main floor all very close to each other.

Here are some pictures of the first floor as it currently looks. Please excuse the mess.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!