SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
td4neal

Laundry Room Countertop Ideas

td4neal
6 years ago

I'd like gray countertops in my laundry room. I'd like to use granite if possible. Is there a gray granite that is inexpensive (not tiles)?

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Plastic laminate holds a folded t-shirt just as well as granite.

• Related Discussions

Need ideas on cabinets and counter tops that will stay in style!

Q

Comments (8)
    We are building on a budget as well, and my husband and I are having these same discussions. Well, GreenDesigns might be right technically. But I have always loved white kitchens... even 30 years ago when I used to go through houses with my parents. They are still my favorite today. The cabinet styles of course have changed over the years, but boy I would pick a house with dated white cabinets over oak and brass every day. So I think you are on the right track with your choices. Wood floors also great. I would go with wood/butcher block countertops over laminate though. Even the Ikea wood countertops. Some work required, but laminate is very limiting when you are cooking, even though I know the choices are far better now. I've lived with both (and marble & granite too) and prefer the butcher block. But that's just me. ;) I'm pulling for a combo of marble and butcher block on our build... the marble is my "splurge" item. Even though it's impractical. Can't wait to see what you choose.
    ...See More

sink/counter idea in small laundry room

Q

Comments (1)
    Oops! Should have posted this in remodeling....not laundry I guess. Will repost there. Thanks.
    ...See More

counter top in laundry room?

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm doing plain, cheap, white solid surface. My fabricator has a non-Corian line that the color worked okay -- mine is a fairly large folding area and I'd rather spend my money where I'll enjoy it more!! I figured this will be easy to clean and nice and smooth. Arlene
    ...See More

Laundry room countertop help

Q

Comments (23)
    Your cabinets and hang bar setup look great! I agree there is no need to tile there. If you absolutely want to do something, you could put up wallpaper. But this is a laundry room and paint is really just a fine surface. To be honest, I had just a washable matte paint in my laundry room for years... I changed the color every 5 years or so just for fun, but the paint was just fine :) Oh, I also have two probably 12 x 12 canvas prints of flowers that I really like. I hang them in the laundry above the washer/dryer :) Great job!
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

Depending on how much you need you may be able to find a remnant at a local granite installer. In my neck of the woods we found several reasonable remnants, however we ended up using the same granite from our kitchen selection. It is absolute black leathered and it is more black than gray. Maybe shop the remnants you might get lucky :)

• mrspete
    6 years ago

I'm with Mark. I scrimp on a laundry room countertop. Personally, I'd go Ikea butcher block instead of laminate.

• 5birdy
    6 years ago

I had a slab of granite that we used for both the guest bathroom and laundry room, which are very close to each other so it's nice to tie in the 2 rooms. I absolutely love having granite in the laundry room. It is easy to clean and I actually use the sink in there a lot (we put in a small but deep little sink). The granite is white/off white/blacks/grays. There are tons of counter options as well as quartz. It's a great way to really add punch to an otherwise neglected room that is used a ton! Just look at Houzz laundry room photos for inspiration. Remnants are a great idea too, or you could also try the "pre fab" showrooms.

• nini804
    6 years ago

We used a remnant slab for laundry room...Typhoon Bordeux. Check out Kashmir White (sp?) for a grey granite. I have Kashmir White in my dd's bathroom. Using remnants if possible cuts down costs.

• nirvanaav
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I too am in search of the Holy Grail of laundry counter top surfaces.

The default, laminate would be fine, but it sure would be an improvement to have a solid surface of some type. This is an area where I'm looking for something that's around $25-$30/ft installed (not picky about looks), but that seems to be very hard to find. I've looked into an elusive "Chinese quartz" that's supposedly in that ballpark, but I can't seem to find it. I was hoping Corian or similar solid surface might be available cheap since it's not popular anymore, but it has gone completely commercial and they are charging more than high end quartz! Unfortunately, I need a full slab for my laundry room, so remnants wouldn't work.

• 5birdy
    6 years ago

It is true that the real whopper of a cost is the fabrication of the granite. If you are choosing materials separately from the fabricator, it's a shock when the final costs roll in. On a later outdoor project (no longer tied to the builder's contractors), we were fortunate to find a vendor that could quote material and labor together. I used to have small stacked units in closets, then a nice stacked system in the garage, but now having a true laundry room with counters, cabinets and sink is truly wonderful. Hope all of you can find something you enjoy!

• gthigpen
    6 years ago

We're planning on using granite remnants from our kitchen, at least for the sink section. We will have another section of uninterrupted counter that I'll likely use for folding. If we don't have a remnant big enough for that, I'm going to use Ikea butcher-block.

• sprink1es
    6 years ago

For such a small countertop, IMO it's not a big deal to upgrade to granite or quartz. More of a decorative question for a laundry room.

You'd never ruin laminate in there, you're supposed to seal granite once a year (upkeep)... I'm on the fence myself. Not necessary but it's so much prettier lol

• ohwhatabeautifulmorning
    6 years ago

whats the scoop on ikea butcher block..? thanks

• arialvetica
    6 years ago

For the laundry room, you'll want something either super durable, or super cheap to replace. Despite your best intentions, you will discover one day that a chemical spilled, the dye bled from a sweater you laid-flat-to-dry, etc. I chose a laminate whose pattern mimicked the granite I used throughout my home.

Probably the LAST material I would choose for a laundry room is butcher block -- butcher block doesn't like it if a little water spills-and-sits for awhile, and I would be worried about the humidity/heat generated by my laundry machines.

6 years ago

thank you for your thoughts, makes sense. I was hoping someone would comment that butcher block is more durable..at least timeless

• Ed
    6 years ago

I think you might be thinking of 'Q', regarding Chinese Quartz. Granite in a laundry room has pros/cons. It is harder than Quartz. It stains. You might lay a hot iron on it and that will not hurt it. Granite needs sealing 1-2 times a year. That takes no more time than waxing a surface area of your vehicle. If along one wall or cupboards on either sides, fabrication is minimal because only the front is conformed to your choice of edging. Granite is supposedly 'out', as far as decorating. Quartz is 'in'......... Most 'upend' homes want a Quartz with at least 93% 'filler'. 'Q' brand is only 85%, making it significantly a weaker material. You must be careful with acids staining Quartz. Even vinegar, a household cleaning liquid must be careful. Quartz cannot tolerate direct heat due to the polymers filler melting/burning. You do not seal Quartz, only dish soap/water cleaning. The major brands of Quartz come in several grays if you decide you can accept Quartz. Zodiac brand is very common brand. That said, I prefer Quartz so much more over granite that I had brand new granite removed from the house I bought a put Quartz in. Much more modern looking. I am careful in kitchen but not so certain I would trust myself with it in laundry?? Quartz is more expensive than lower level granite. Certainly there is much more to know, but this is what I know from having granite, then shopping for Quartz and having it.

• sprink1es
    6 years ago

Granite/Quartz is very much personal preference. I perceive both to be on par as far as which is more luxurious/fancy. I'm the opposite where I prefer granite and view it as timeless, and an almost indestructible natural stone, not dated. Quartz can also suffer yellowing and UV problems from the man-made filler... But you do get endless color options from quartz. It's a hard decision!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Granite is supposedly 'out', as far as decorating

Bull hockey!

I'm building in an upscale area and so far, every person has put in granite or quartzite. The only house with quartz is the model. My sister recently remodeled a 1920's mansion and she put in quartzite.

Frankly, I see quartz pushed as the latest and greatest like Corian was 25 years ago. Soon enough, quartz will also be out because of the next latest and greatest man made product, whereas granite, marble, soapstone and quartzite will most likely continue to hold steady.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Agree 100% with CP (but when do I *not*? lol).

As I understand it, some granites don't require sealing at all. Some come with 15-year sealants, supposedly eliminating the need for annual sealing. I'll find out about that soon enough. :-)

I prefer real/natural stones with veins running through them. Quartzite is my favorite.

For laundry rooms, specifically, I guess it depends on how hard your laundry room works. My husband and I have 5 young kids, so while I see the argument for a butcher block top for just folding clothes (makes total sense and looks awesome), I introduce a lot of extra moisture into my laundry room. Hang dry (indoors) 90% of our clothes/bedding. Treat stains, laying items flat. Hang soiled/wet cleaning rags/cloth napkins/cloth diapers while waiting for a big enough load to run (I don't cross-contaminate those three, lol). Dyeing textiles in buckets/trays. Etc, etc., etc.

I would be afraid that laminate would start looking awful after a little while. I also dislike that the underside edges of laminate counters catch my clothing, snagging threads on my shirts. Maybe modern laminate doesn't have this problem, though? My most recent experience is with 13 year old laminate, lol.

• mlg32
    6 years ago

I spent yesterday afternoon at a Stone Shop. I also wanted a remnant piece for my approx 42" counter spot in my laundry room. Silver Pearl is a gray mix granite in class B with class A being the least expensive. Because it was a remnant it is 20% off new slab price, my piece installed is about $430. The silver pearl is leathered on one side and shiny on the other, the leathered side looks much like plain gray( slabs were out in the sun so my opinion on the leathered may be off). Azul Patino speckled gray/black/white granite was also class A or the cheapest. Not sure if granite colors/prices are regional but I am in the Mid West. Also pretty sure that my installation price is based on whole house price.

• mlg32
    6 years ago

Shoot forgot to comment on what Cpartist said about Granite not being out... Yesterday at the stone yard, I saw a large piece of Viscount white granite, white with a black swirl, very beautiful and a lesser expensive granite but would look great in my black and white kitchen. I have tentatively decided on a white quartz with a light black streaks(Tranquliity) my second choice quartz,my first is out of my price range. But gosh thinking of spending the additional dollars for quartz and then having it be out like Corian(which I hate the feel of) and now I am thinking is marketing making me think quartz is better, maybe a real natural product is the way to go. I am already concerned if the plain back quartz for my perimeter counters is going to be to dull looking. Maybe leathered black granite is the way to go... Sorry for just rambling but I am totally rethinking my choices.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

"Granite needs sealing 1-2 times a year."

That's also incorrect as a broad statement. Not all "granites" need to be sealed. If your stone has an absorbency of 0.25% or less, it does not need to be sealed. In fact, if you attempt to seal it, you will end up with hazing and other surface issues that can only be remedied by removing the sealer!

Examples of stones that do not need to be sealed:

• Absolute Black (AB) - assuming it's true AB and not a dyed stone from China or India

• Black Galaxy

• Blue Pearl

• Impala Black - which is a dark gray, btw

• Platinum Pearl

• Uba Tuba

• Verde Butterfly

• Verde Peacock

• Volga Blue

• nirvanaav
    6 years ago

mig32, that's pretty typical. The fabrication costs eclipse the cost of the stone, especially for an under-mount sink.

I spoke with my builder's fabricator a couple month ago. At the time the value stone was Carrara marble at about $50/ft, fabricated and installed, then granite, then Quartz. Quartize was crazy expensive, almost 2.5x the cost of the marble. Soapstone was also up there with Quartzite.

• nhb_6 ( she/her)
    6 years ago

Just thinking aloud, would it make sense to put in stainless steel counter with integrated sink? I can see a lot of positives for using it in laundry room - resistant to chemicals ( at least household ones), corrosion resistance so no concerns with moisture, easy to clean, etc. What are the negatives? How does the cost compare to other materials?

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Nhb, that's a great thought... I'd actually be interested in a similar material (copper). :-) I know copper develops a patina -- what some folks would consider a negative -- but that's part of its charm for me.

Stainless gives off a very industrial/sterile vibe, so you'd have to be careful using it, from an aesthetics point of view (in my opinion, of course, which you may or may not value, lol).

Regarding operational negatives, I'd have to think it dents/scratches easily? Well, "easily" compared with a stone, anyway....

• PRO
  • ktj459
    6 years ago

You could also use soapstone and fabricate it yourself. I know soapstones.com sells material at a good price, and you can cut it and install it yourself since it's not as hard as granite. They also have remnants that are further discounted. You'd just need some help to move it since it is ridiculously heavy. Honed jet mist granite is also a nice mid gray. I think it's a mid-level cost for granite. I agree with the others that a remnant might be your best bet if cost is the driving factor.

• jaimeeap
    6 years ago

Arabian Black, which is a beautiful grey granite and sometimes goes by different names.

• User
    6 years ago

our laundry/mudroom/home office has quartz counters on the office side and brushed s/s counters on the laundry side with under mount sink. We have the same set up in our kitchen with quartz on 3/4 of the counter space and brushed s/s on the counter right next to the stovetop.

laundry side

House build · More Info

office side
    House build · More Info

in our old house I had Uba Tuba. Worked great, no sealing after being installed.

• nhb_6 ( she/her)
    6 years ago

Hi suellen19,

you have really nice laundry/office!!! I was also thinking about doing ss counter with integrated sink in the laundry room and ss counter for cook-top in the kitchen ( our will have 36" induction top in 8' counter). How long did you have your ss counters for? Do you have any regrets? Would you mind sharing cost per sq. ft. ( you can email me this info if you prefer).

One Devoted Dame

having cooper counter would be awesome but i can just guess that you would need $$$$$ for those!

• User
    6 years ago

We have only been in this house since Sept '16. We had a section of brushed s/s counter for a coffee bar area in our previous house for 11 years and loved it, that is why we did it again here. Costs I will have to look up.

6 years ago

suellen..may I see pics of your kitchen? I love the spice rack built in! I never thought of using brushed stainless. Does it clean up easy? thanks