Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Annie Deighnaugh

White House advisors called Ottawa to urge Trudeau to help talk Trump down from scrapping NAFTA

Should I be happy that the staff is far more level-headed than t-rump? That our allies are willing to help us deal with this "dunderhead in chief"?

Or should I be horrified that even they can't manage him alone? That they may not always be successful? That t-rump is so easily swayed? Or that our allies might not always be so cooperative? Or, if our enemies are the last to speak to him, they may hold sway next time?

Why is he still in office??? He is beyond incompetent -- downright dangerous. Every minute he's in office is another minute our nation and the world is in terrific peril.

SOS

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

I wonder how Trudeau and Mexico talked him out of it....did they flatter him and build his ego? Why can he not listen to reason from the very advisors he supposedly depends on? Why are they even in the WH when he won't listen to their advice? The whole group is kicking around world policies that took years to work out and throwing them out the door. If they don't know how effective those policies are why aren't they studying them or listening to people who do? At least there are a couple people who are trying to learn. It is more apparent than ever his family babysits him because he is a loose cannon.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

His stand on any position is based on who he talked to last or what he watched last on fox.

6 Likes Save    
azmom

So the deplorables first voted a grossly disqualified psychopath to litter the country and world, then now his advisor could not control him and has to ask leader from other country to tame him, worse, to implement our own policy and strategy.

Is this a good thing or bad thing?

How about get ride of all of them, the psycho and his gang?

Save    
blfenton

Because the staff knows how valuable NAFTA is to many of the individual states and hard it will be to unravel NAFTA whereas trump probably figures if he signs an EO the cancellation is a done deal.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I'd sum it up this way: some WH advisors are clearly members of Team Trump and some are members of Team USA (I'm grateful they are there and hoping they survive and even flourish.)

Save    
roxsol

https://canadians.org/blog/would-nafta-allow-canada-ban-us-thermal-coal-exports-bc-ports

I am not sure if Trump realised that 94 per cent of USA coal is exported through BC Canada. It was suggested we (Canada) could tariff the heck out of it in retaliation.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump finds put that yet another issue is much more complicated than he first thought.

Appears that help-for-coal-country clashes with get-rid-of-NAFTA.

Surprise!

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

I think it's funny. President Trump has always intended to renegotiate NAFTA.

The White House has Trudeau thinking he is charged with "talking down the president." Does anyone here really believe the White House went behind Trump's back and begged the Canadians to stop him from "scrapping" NAFTA???

Save    
roxsol

I don't think anyone went behind Trumps back. I do think though, that when Trump started his talk about scrapping NAFTA, the Canadian government did not just lay down and roll over. They pointed out that we had something to bargain with. I don't believe Trumps coal miners would have been too happy.

Canada is a good neighbour to USA. Just don't trample the fence.

ETA Trump as usual had not done his homework.

Save    
chase_gw

"The White House has Trudeau thinking he is charged with "talking down the president."

I can assure you that PM Trudeau is more than capable of forming his own thoughts without the help of WH staff.

ETA Evidently the person who called Trudeau was Kushner........FOX says so...must be true

4 Likes Save    
blfenton

roxsolid - B.C. has a provincial election today and the incumbent liberal premier has made it clear she wants to tariff the thermal coal.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Blfenton, I have been reading about this and watching for the election results.

Should be interesting.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I can assure you that PM Trudeau is more than capable of forming his own thoughts without the help of WH staff."

Be that as it may, my response is to the OP, which began as follows: White House advisors called Ottawa to urge Trudeau to help talk Trump down from scrapping NAFTA

Trudeau is cast as "hope," the "one" who might be able to stop Trump from "scrapping" NAFTA, when in fact Trump has always said he wants to renegotiate it in order to make it more beneficial to American workers. Just as he was elected to do.

Save    
roxsol

"I'm not a big believer in doing things unilaterally," he told the magazine of his plans on NAFTA. "I'm a big believer in opening up a dialogue and figuring out how we can make this work for all people."

Obama said this.^^

Discussion about NAFTA has always been a thing.

I think the big difference is how a US President approaches things. There should always be give and take between allies.

Trump has set the mood around the world and it is not a good one:(

Save    
chase_gw

PM Trudeau has long held that NAFTA should be renegotiated to the benefit of all partners.

I can't believe that Trump had no idea that Canada is the largest importer of American goods in the world...larger than any other country including China.

Probably had something to do with his softened tone........he was also told that 12 million American jobs would be lost if NAFTA was cancelled

1 Like Save    
jodik_gw

Chase, I can believe anything where trump is concerned... he's more like a spoiled little child than an adult. And he's in a scariest position a person like that could ever be in.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Butterflies Gardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Beautiful Things You Can Feel Good About Buying
Upcycled, ecofriendly or just made responsibly, these home accessories and furniture pieces will keep your conscience clear
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 7 Bad Things Your Home May Be Hiding
What you don't know about your home could cost you during a remodel. Here's what to plan for
Full Story