SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kasarr01

Help arranging David Austins

H Kavarana
6 years ago

I discovered DA roses a few weeks ago and have been reading and reading! I have a few questions I'm having trouble figuring out still. I'm filling my shopping cart on DA's website and so far have:

Alnwick

Jude the Obscure

Golden Celebration

Brother Cadfael

Abraham Darby

Queen of Sweden

Lady of Shalott

Heritage

A Shropshire Lad (out of stock)

Claire Austin (out of stock)

Pierre de Ronsard (out of stock, not an Austin but beautiful too!)

What I'm trying to figure out is which of these prefer to be climbers (thinner, easier to train canes?) and which are better shrubs. I have a 30'x3' flower bed along the side of my house and would like to grow some climbers up the empty walls and put shrubs below windows. Are there other climbers I should look at? (I've read Teasing Georgia
has lots of thorns and DH particularly hates vicious roses!)

I live in zone 6b UT and this wall faces southwest. It gets hot out there in the summer.

I'm new to gardening (all I know is what I've read). Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

(the lights are about 12 feet up and will be replaced with lantern type fixtures, please pardon the weeds!)

Comments (31)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Of the Austin's, to my knowledge and experience, these are the largest of the bunch:

Jude the Obscure

Brother Cadfael

Abraham Darby

Golden Celebration

If you search Nanadoll on the rose forum, you may be able to find images of her JtO and B.C. I believe both of hers are in the 9' range. She gardens in zone 7 Idaho. Better yet, maybe she will see this thread:)

H Kavarana thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I wonder if you should start with 5 or 6 roses spread along the 30 ft, and add a few low fillers like Walker's Low nepeta. I agree the tall ones could be against the plain wall, and the shorter where the windows are. They all could get larger than you might expect. Maybe 3 tall and 3 shorter.

H Kavarana thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.

Q

Comments (146)
    Tess is such a good rose. It was on the bush 6 days and just kept getting poofier and poofier but held together. Its been a dry heat and in the 90's this past week plus uber smoky from the wildfires and literally 'raining' ash some days. Gotta love Tess! Some others doing well in the wicked heat TIMF Litchfield Angel Jude the Obscure...I swear I couldnt get enough pics of him the other day!! He is sooo ~Dreamy~ I'm obsessed with the way the buds look half open. I could get lost in those buds for hours!
    ...See More

Help arranging Austins please

Q

Comments (3)
    Helpmefind.com/roses is a good source of heights. Rather than just take the dimensions on the front page, you can go thru the links to major suppliers and see what they say. Keep in mind that suppliers in places like Texas and South Carolina are going to supply sizes that are larger than these roses are likely to get in your zone. Time-consuming but worth it, to get that spacing right!
    ...See More

Help me choose some David Austins!

Q

Comments (54)
    I adore my Munstead, it is well over 5 ft tall (I have only lightly pruned it in it's 3 years here in my garden) it is grafted though so I don't know how much that could affect size, I have a baby own root that is very small but has been growing and blooming like crazy this spring. MW is a great repeat bloomer & has a strong floral fragrance, resists blackspots very well for me ( & trust me it has a lot of opportunity for BS) but it sure is thorny! I don't really mind it, until it's time to deadhead, but it is probably my thorniest rose. Here is mine last week & the week before: Olivia rose looks like it will be a shorter, rounder shrub, I picked a grafted one up from the same local nursery I got MW from, it had a few blooms on it at the time that had a mild old rose fragrance & lovely petal arrangement. Pinks aren't my favorite, but if this one is as healthy as I hear and reblooms as much as MW I will be a very happy gardener. Here is Olivia rose upon arriving home from the nursery: I hate the choosing process, I always want to try them all. I LOVE MW, but I can't wait to see olivia rose in action, she is getting a prime spot because I'm hoping for greatness. Good luck! Jessica
    ...See More

THIS is why I order Austin roses from David Austin Roses.

Q

Comments (32)
    Rebecca- your roses are gorgeous but so much work. I live in Massachusetts. It is so difficult to even dig a hole 10 inches deep with all the rock, boulders and ledge so I try to buy only own root roses. I have gotten some wonderful own root roses from DA and have some more scheduled for delivery next week. I hope they add more own root to their collections. I recently ordered 'Queen of Sweden' and 'Windermere' which is by far my healthiest DA rose and covers herself with delicate soft blush pink blooms from early summer till fall. She is cane hardy in my Z5b-6a garden. The only negative is lack of the "to die for" strong perfume scent that Austins are so known for. sharon
    ...See More
  • H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nanadoll's pictures are the reason JtO and BC are on my list! Her pictures are beautiful. I had kinda decided against them before :)

I've been wondering how many roses I should try to fit in there. I know it will be years before they get to their full size and I'm afraid of cramming too many in there :) Putting spacers is a good idea. If Jude will be 9ftx9ft I might only have room for a few roses!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Hi Heather, I just saw this thread, and I'm excited for your possibilities. I don't think Jude will be 9'X9', but probably more like 7-8'X5-6'. Brother Cadfael will be a little larger. It will take time for Jude to reach that size, probably. Mine was a slow starter. This will all depend on your weather, too. If you have lots of winter dieback from the cold, the roses probably won't be so large. BB doesn't have many thorns, so that's a plus, and his canes are a beautiful wine color. My Golden Celebration is large, too, and more amenable to being a climber, I think. He's starting to climb around the porch railings right now, and I don't think I'll prune him back. I think Sheila's idea of starting with a few roses, plus perennial spacers, and maybe a flowering shrub or two, is a great idea for the side of your house. I also use annuals among the perennials--lots of snapdragons (which act as short lived perennials here), alyssum, coneflowers, poppies, whatever you like. I highly recommend Boscobel as a well mannered Austin you might give a try. I'm not sure how large this one will end up being, but I hope it's not another Brother.... I'll check back tomorrow--it's getting late. I'm sure more forum members will tune in, too. Diane

H Kavarana thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • bryony88_zone10a_england
    6 years ago

I love the look of dark red climbing roses against brick since seeing a photo of it on their site. I can't find that right now, but here is another example: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/red-rose-climbing-up-old-cottage-brick-house-leaded-windows-uk-climber-scarlet-flowers-green-leaves-drain-pipe-wood-metal-88920429.jpg

A couple of tips, which are based on mistakes that I have made myself as I am new to rose growing too:

- Have a place in mind for every single rose you buy, a specific spot. Otherwise you will end up with roses that might be lovely but you don't have anywhere for them.

- Don't plant too close to the wall, even though it seems that lots of climbing roses are right against the wall, you are suppose to leave enough of a gap that they will get enough moisture. I'm not sure of the ideal distance.

- Don't plant too close together, some of these roses will be huge in a few years' time. It's really tempting to cram loads of roses into a small spot but that won't work. If you had just one really large climber that really liked where it was, that could cover most of your side wall itself in a few years. I'm not suggesting that, as you have another plan with shorter climbers, but I'm just making the point.

H Kavarana thanked bryony88_zone10a_england
    6 years ago

Mme Alfred Carriere is a romantic-looking climber with pale white blooms tinged
    with pink that would work well with the romantic look of the Austins.
    It's one of the best climbers, it blooms almost continuously and has a gorgeous bloom and scent. It really would reach the size I have put in the image. Here's a terrible image done in Paint
    showing what I think could work:

Brother Cadfael with Mme Alfred Carriere would be two paler roses, so I put in Climbing Gertrude Jekyll to provide a contrast. There would probably be room for one more rose on the far left side next to Brother Cadfael.

Around these I would add things like lavender or nepeta etc. as mentioned by others.

Edit: with nepeta:

• Sonic (6b)
    6 years ago

I'm in a similar situation with a long blank wall on a new to me home so am following this thread with a lot of interest. :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Nepeta is the best rose filling perreniial in my humble opinion ! It's so pretty! I know you say teasing Georgia has thorns but they all do and it's really not bad and it's so so beautiful and blooms a long time . Mine is swamped with buds now

I realize this isn't helping you at all but I hate for you to pass up a fantastic rose !

H Kavarana thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

How exciting! Seeing a blank slate like that now that my garden is all crammed makes me sooooo excited for you!

Note that Golden Celebration is a VERY strong colour. I love it dearly but it limits the colour palette you can play with somewhat (especially if you're just getting started, you're probably going to play around with companion planting a bit). I don't grow Teasing Georgia but the colour of the blooms is much more forgiving and blends well with other coulours, pinks, not to mention brick..... Jude is also quite lovely especially with Nepeta, which, as the others have mentioned, is one of the best and easiest companion for roses and loves the heat. You probably know this but there are short varieties and tall ones. You'd probably want the tall one (Six Hills Giant for example - avoid Walker's Low which is probably too short for what you need to accomplish).

I also think the idea of a less demanding climber (like Mme Alfred Carriere) and two (maybe three?) DA shrubs is a great idea. Or leave a spot for something you might fall in love with later?

Nice renderings bryony88!!!! Very pro :)

H Kavarana thanked Anna-Lyssa Zone9
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

You already have an excellent climber on your list--Pierre de Ronsard (also known as Eden). Order a non-grafted Eden from Roses Unlimited right now and you will have it in a week or two. It grows about 10-12 ft tall. Perhaps one of the most beautiful of all climbers.

With Eden, I'd plant roses in the pink to white color ranges--yellow seems too strong there. You could even plant 1-2 red ones to kind of anchor the base row.

Good Luck.

Kate

H Kavarana thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Heather's weather in 6b Utah is probably very similar to here (7a, formerly 6b, in SW Idaho), so Heather you probably have hot, sunny, and dry summers? Under these conditions, I don't think Golden Celebration has a particularly strong yellow compared to say, the photos I see here of Teasing Georgia (gorgeous rose, Lilyfinch). I agree that Eden is spectacular, but I like to see yellows used. It's nothing to be afraid of. Just putting in my 2 cents worth on Golden Celebration. Diane

Golden Celebration

H Kavarana thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the comments everyone! Yes our summers are hot and mostly dry. I will definitely get some nepeta! I've been wondering what to do with all the empty space until the roses grow. I've decided for and against Heritage so many times, it's definitely off my list now!

From what I understand Teasing Georgia is a bigger climber than Golden Celebration, is this correct? I think the yellow would look best with our pinkish brick, but Mme Alfred Carriere is beautiful too. The space in front of the fence has a water faucet so I can't plant a rose there but I was thinking of training a rose from behind the fence to that area above it. Would TG look ok with Eden? From view1ny's picture it looks like they would.

Paint is a wonderful idea :) Of course they won't stay in their places exactly but just a general placement. Do you think this would work?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Looks great. Walker's Low nepeta is not short, FYI. The name is misleading. I've read Eden is low on repeat bloom for a few years. The David Austin roses are very showy. Madame Alfred Carriere is very romantic and graceful.

H Kavarana thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Oops, I didn't recognise 'Eden' in your original post as I don't know it as 'Pierre de Ronsard'! If you are working with Eden as your taller climber, it may be good to have only Eden with your selection of David Austins, or Eden with another tall Austin as in your image. Madame Alfred Carriere is a very tall and vigorous rose so would take up a much larger space than you have put on your image, and might not work so well right next to another climber.

Here's an image of Eden next to 'Teasing Georgia' from Google:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/fc/d6/7f/fcd67f2620701d2a8fdcd547ca1bbdb8.jpg

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

Sorry about the nepeta misinformation! Here plants are regularly NOT labelled so it's always a guess what you're getting. I'd always assumed my low nepeta was Walker's Low, but I guess not!! In any case, just make sure you don't get a low kind if you mean to get a tall kind! I think this project is so fun, and it's going to look GREAT! :) I also can't WAIT to see "after" shots in a year or so! :)

H Kavarana thanked Anna-Lyssa Zone9
  • H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So what would you choose for my undecided? It can be a shrub or a not-so-giant climber (the light is 12 feet up). The ones left on my list are Alnwick, Lady of Shalott, Abe Darby, and Golden Celebration. It seems most people rave about AD and GC and I love the color of both. Not as many have Lady of Shalott. I absolutely love the colors of all three :-/ Alnwick is also to die for, I drool over the pictures. I might need to make more room in my yard :)

Another question: how wide does Eden get as a climber? I've read 10-12 ft tall but not how wide. I expect 10-12 ft will take years :)

• clarion2
    6 years ago

I am thinking DA roses are more shrubs than climbers (except Constance Spry - highly recommended) and not tall enough for that big wall. I would rather see you go with ramblers, Mme Alfred Carriere, etc that can get up high on that wall. New Dawn, Eden, Albertine, Gardenia, Francois Junanville other good choices. You want to get up to those lights, and DAs won't do so (except perhaps for their new ramblers). Then you can underplant these really tall ramblers with some lower growing DAs. There are some ramblers that are thornless.

Then of course, there is alway's Paul's Himalayan or Cecile Brunner who will climb to the roof if you are really courageous!

Here's rambler Etoile de Hollande on a brick wall, looks much nicer if they reach to the 2nd story:

H Kavarana thanked clarion2
    6 years ago

I thought of Etoile de Holland, too, and originally posted that as it looks so good against brick, but I thought it may clash with the other David Austins on the list (especially yellows).

• H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, that red is beautiful. Choosing roses is hard! :)

• K S
    6 years ago

The Alnwick rose in zone 5 (not where I live, but my parents have one) is very small and slow to establish, but it will obviously do better in your zone. It is very pretty though, and smells nice. Speaking of fragrance, how important is fragrance to you? And are these roses for your own enjoyment on the bush (sitting outside on a patio, maybe), having as a "collection" of roses you love, cutting, or mostly landscaping (looking good for the neighbors)? If they are landscaping, then questions of color matter more than if they are just a collection of roses you love, or if you want to cut them. If fragrance matters, Eden does not have much fragrance. It lasts fairly well for me as a cut flower, however (at least a couple of days more than my Austins). Jude the Obscure, Golden Celebration and Abraham Darby smell AMAZING. No joke, I became obsessed with Jude after smelling one of his blooms at a farmers market. Some Austin roses have a "myrrh" scent that, on the other hand, makes me feel ill. Some people love it, however -- this is my way of saying scent (as with all things roses) is very subjective. There are thousands of brilliant varieties, and the ones we love are really the ones we have to go with in the end.

Before you decide, be sure to check out some non-Austin roses too (as you started doing with Eden). If you want to add some variety to the form and fragrance of your flowers (and maybe historical interest) there are so many others out there! A few that I have been wishing for (so can't specifically recommend, but have seen recommended by many others) include Lady Hillingdon, Etoile de Lyon, Nahema, and Mel's Heritage. In any case, there is no best answer with roses, and gardens are always a work in progress. Have fun!

H Kavarana thanked K S
    6 years ago

How are you getting on? I hope you are not suffering from information overload :)

• H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely overload! :) It's good overload though and I'm hoping to at least order some by tomorrow.

I realized I was giving Jude about ten feet at the end of the bed there (turns out perspective matters, lol) so I'm squeezing in another back there. I just can't decide which. I think I have to have Golden Celebration and Abe. But Lady of Shalott is so pretty too! Maybe later when I have more room? (No idea where that would be!)

I discovered Nahema. I've been reading and staring at pictures and it looks pretty perfect. Teasing Georgia is a very nice flower but doesn't quite make my heart flutter like Nahema! I'm leaning toward getting it instead. That would make for a lot of pink. It makes me happy that you listed it KS! Any idea how big it will get compared to Eden?

This bed is on the side of the house, and I honestly don't go over there all that much now. With roses over there I would :) We've lived here five years and never done anything in the yard except put in a couple tomatoes and weed and weed and weed. And weed and weed... you get the idea ;) We had a baby when we moved and now have another little stinker who is getting around on his own so this is the first time we're really getting the yard put in. (I think the previous owners did a lot of vegetable gardening because we still get swiss chard volunteers like crazy and there are no perennials or shrubs.) Fragrance is nice but not a must. I have no idea what myrrh smells like so I'm trying to avoid it a little, but who knows, maybe I'll love it! (Or maybe it will grow on me.) Our neighbor's house faces this wall so it would be nice if they looked good, but with the utilities out there I don't think it will ever be a real showstopper so I'm not going to worry too much about how it looks, just preferably not too twiggy/gangly. I'd really like to be able to have fresh roses in the house. I LOVE having flowers around, and it's especially nice if they smell good. I know most of these won't last longer than a few days but that's ok :)

• K S
    6 years ago

I am not sure how big she would get for you -- I could only repeat what I've read online, which isn't really solid information. I tried to buy Nahema this year for my boyfriend's mother, as a gift (which is why she is on my mind) but when I placed my order with Roses Unlimited she was out of stock. Alas! Maybe next year. You could post a question about her on the non-Antique rose message board, and you would probably get a lot of feedback on that particular rose.

H Kavarana thanked K S
  • K S
    6 years ago

P.S. my "Eden" is only a few years old, and has sent out canes of about eight feet long this spring.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    6 years ago

hehe I like Nahema so far (only had it a year tho )- seems to deal with heat ok, is very disease free, flowers look lovely, smells nice...

But I posted to throw in my 2 cents worth regarding Alnwick. In my conditions, it handles heat badly- slows down a lot, doesnt flower much and blows really quickly when it does. Seems to get quite a bit of blackspot too.

H Kavarana thanked Curdle 10a (Australia)
  • H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update: I ordered Eden, Jude, Alnwick, Brother Cadfael, Abraham Darby, and Golden Celebration from Rogue Valley. I got on their waiting list for Nahema. They don't have Queen of Sweden so I'm looking around, but I can't quite bring myself to spend almost 50$ on it from DA. I might wait on that until next year.

Of course now I'm looking at the front yard plan to see where I can squeeze in another rose or two lol! Alnwick doesn't really have a home yet but I had to order it!

• H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found another I have to have: Leonardo Da Vinci. Time to step away from the computer. This is starting to feel like an addiction! :)

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

...."looking to see if I can squeeze in"..... Famous last words ;)

And yes, it's an addiction (let's call it a passion)

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    6 years ago

Leonardo is really cute, but is blackspot king in my garden. It cycles between looking lovely (nice rounded shape covered with blooms and leaves) and just plain awful( total defoliation due to BS), then starts growing nice fresh leaves and blooms again. Blooms do get a bit small, sparse and ratty in heat too. When its good, it does look rather special though, so I usually just move the pot to somewhere I don't have to see it until it leafs out again...

H Kavarana thanked Curdle 10a (Australia)
  • H Kavarana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is good to know about Leonardo. I don't think we have lots of BS around here but I'll see how my roses do this year. I might have to start some pots too since I'm out of flower bed space. Either that or a new flower bed, which DH would never agree to. There is a 60ft driveway on the other side of my house that goes to the property line so there's nothing out there but concrete. It looks terrible to me and roses there would get morning sun and afternoon shade which it seems some roses do better with. Next year!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz