SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Sour Oranges

Sammers510
6 years ago

I wanted to know how many of you grow sour oranges, and if you recommend them as being a worthwhile endeavor? I cook a lot and over the last few years I have been branching out from the classic French/western European style of cooking (I went to french culinary school) to more Asian and now South American style. Seville oranges are used quite often in Yucatan style cooking as well as being considered the "proper" orange for marmalade. I hear the smell of their blossoms is miles above sweet oranges. But I am not familiar with their tastes, are many sour oranges similar to one another or is Seville really the "top dog" for flavor? I know Bergamot rind is used in tea, and Chinottos are highly decorative, but are their flavors similar enough to be used interchangeably? How to they compare to something like a Calamondin? I've tried looking in some local markets but haven't come across them and it looks like I've missed their season. I pretty much treat my citrus collection like a pantry and want to be able to eat/cook with everything I have so I am hoping that a Seville would be a good addition if I could find one in stock anywhere.

Comments (3)