SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Finished my winter project. Interesting results.

seil zone 6b MI
7 years ago

During the winter I spend a lot of time sorting through my pictures. It keeps me from going stir crazy! Usually it's from the past season but this year I did something a little different. So many times on here people will ask for pictures and information about a certain variety and I know I've grown that rose but have no idea when or how it did or even what it looked like sometimes. So I decided to do a master inventory of all of the roses I've owned over my rose growing years. That's 11 years now. My first rose garden was inherited from my Mom in 2005. As I recall there were 16 roses in her rose bed. They were badly neglected because she hadn't been able to take care of them for some time already. When she passed my brother and I took over the house and our first project was to rebuild the rose garden. That's when I got hooked and have been rose crazy ever since.

What I did was to find a picture of every rose I've ever had and for every year I had that rose. That was a job, lol. I have thousands of pictures of roses!!! Some are on my computer. Some are on a back up drive and MANY were still on disks. I had to buy an external disk drive to even open those because my lap top doesn't have a disk drive anymore. It turned out to be quite an adventure.

In the process I rediscovered some real beauties I'd forgotten I'd had and some real dogs that I don't miss at all. I was surprised by how many had turned out to be "annuals", never making it through their first winter. And how some that you'd think would be tender have survived year after year. All in all I think it gave me a good perspective on my rose addiction and maybe some idea of how my tastes have changed over the years.

As of right now I have about 130 roses out there. I can't be sure because I'm not exactly sure what has survived this winter yet. It's still a little too early to tell. But from 2005 through 2016 I have owned 233 different named varieties of roses. That does not count unknown mystery roses and my seedlings either. I know many of you have owned thousands of roses but I think that's a pretty tidy sum for my little suburban lot!

Comments (15)