SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snooker79

Restoring a Citrus Tree from Root Rot: Need Help

snooker79
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've been trying to restore a 2 yr old Murcott Orange tree from root rot. To give a little backstory: We purchased the tree April 2016 along with 3 other citrus trees, the other 3 are fine but this one developed root rot for some reason. It's still very small (about 6 feet tall) but it started to develop root rot at the end of last year. By the end of March 2017 most of the leaves were yellowing and had fallen off. I took it out of the ground and sure enough it had massive root rot. The root ball itself was just a little bigger than my foot (about 12 inches). I clipped off all of the blackened roots and got rid of all of the rotted roots, washed it off and basically gave it a 20 minute cleansing in my pool because I read somewhere that the chlorine kills the root rot.

So as of 2 weeks ago I transplanted it back into its original pot and put it in my patio so it's out of the sun because I also read somewhere that you want to keep recovering citrus trees without leaves out of the sun. Let me emphasize that when I put it back in its pot a few weeks ago, It had no leaves left but the tree itself was still green. Also I'm using new store bought garden soil in the pot and I added a root building stimulator from our local plant nursery when I first watered it in. Now here's the crazy part; after I transplanted it it's been about 2 weeks now and it's making only flowers everywhere and very few leaves. It's basically a flower tree right now and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I want it to make leaves so I can put it back outside. Also I need to know when is a good time to bring it back outside and replant it in the ground. How big should the leaves be and how long should I give it in the pot to develop it's root system before I re-plant it in the ground. Thank you in advance for all your tips and suggestions as I've no clue what I'm doing except for others' feedback and input.

Comments (3)