SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amybabyboy3

Fotess May: Cinco de Mayo Celebration

amybabyboy3
6 years ago

FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. It's a trade group on HOUZZ where we swap packages with others who are members based on a monthly theme. If you are not a member and would like more information about the group please contact me (Jeanne)(sandlapper_rose) or Shirley (sjc48).

This month we will have a CInco de Mayo swap:

Please send your partner 5 garden items:

1- package of seeds if possible from their wish list

1 pair of gloves

1 package of (5) garden tags (these can be hand made from blinds, popcycle sticks etc.

1 pair of flowered or bright socks to wear in the garden

1 plant from your garden (please ask if you need advice for how to package and ship)

Please make your package festive and bright for this Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Please sign up thru 5/5/17. Bingo will start on 5/6/17 and please send your package by 5/25/17. Hope you will join in on the fun this month.

Comments (113)

• sandlapper_rose
    6 years ago

Heidi, I love your idea with the hand fly swatters!

Wishing everyone a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow.

It has been cooler today with a light rain falling and I've been outside moving plants from containers into the ground. We get so little weather like this that I had to make it a planting day. I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

Jeanne

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Happy Mother's Day to All!

• Related Discussions

Cinco de Mayo

Q

Comments (1)
    I love Mexican food too and your menu is terrific. I would enjoy it. Without having seen your menu, I might have come up with these three courses: Sopa de Aquacate Chilaquiles Flan Sopa de Aguacate Ingredients 3 fully ripe Hass avocados 6 cups of your best rich chicken broth 6 tortilla chips (to garnish) Directions 1\. Remove pulp from the avocados. 2\. Use a blender to puree the avocados with the broth. 3\. Heat the mixture to just short of boiling and serve garnished with broken tortilla chips. The avocado soup is ultra simple to make and ultra good to eat. Jim
    ...See More

Cinco de Mayo dinner......pics

Q

Comments (17)
    Yum, Ann, that all looks totally delicious to me, both dinner and breakfast! I had an enchilada craving myself after reading Suzy's blog and that's what we made for Cinco de Mayo. Ann, did you do something special to the beans? I made a quick recipe with some garlic and jalapeno and a can of black beans, but I'd like to know how you prepared yours. Thanks.
    ...See More

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Q

Comments (29)
    So true! I top my "Back-East chili " with cottage cheese, and it totally grosses out my family (lol). I try not to judge other takes on guacamole or anything, but I guess that it's just what tastes best/normal to an individual. What you're used to . . . although I really don't mess with my friend's recipes. After 33 years of eating them at her house and making them myself, they are delicious and the norm for me now. And, truth be told, I am an Anglo out here and my NM food is always scrutinized by my Hispanic friends who dislike "Gringo-ized" NM food. Because of that, I've always tried to stick with the original recipes that they've shared with me. But, we do travel a lot and always are OK with eating at Mexican restaurants around the country. Huge difference in just about everything, but we enjoy it. We'll be heading to Atlanta and Augusta, GA, and Aiken, SC soon and both my sis and our son have Mexican restaurants they plan on taking us to in every town. We'll enjoy them all, I'm sure. Spanish: ok, I'll try that the next time I make it. I'm not a food snob. I guess that I'm just very used to the way I always make things after all this time out here.
    ...See More

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Q

Comments (20)
    How wonderful that so many of you celebrate this fun holiday! When we married and moved out here to New Mexico 37 years ago, I was in heaven with all the truly great food . . . not to mention the wonderful history of New Mexico, it’s beautiful art and architecture, the people, and the views (among so many things). My new good friend, Jeannette, took me under her wing and taught me how to cook “like a local” and not “like a gringo”. I’ve treasured and used the cookbook that she made for me ever since. She and her DH own a very well known, historic hotel and restaurant here in Northern New Mexico. And we’re still very close friends. How amazing that this Michigan Girl ended up living here in this wonderful Land of Enchantment so many years ago! But, I consider it a true blessing. If you’re not very familiar with my beautiful, magical adopted state, please take the time someday to ‘look us up’. We're a hidden jewel very worth getting to know.
    ...See More
  • xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Public Park Flower Beds · More Info
    This probably won't look like much, but after 5 years the grass is gone and the iris has come up for the first spring in 4 stately clumps after the high school kids helped me transplant it last year. It looks so much better I just had to share it. Not sure what else to do with this flower bed. I'm so tired of grass--grass--grass. Even when I get a flower started the grass intertwines in it. Oh well, someday I'll be in the Second Garden of Eden in heaven where everything has a place and a boundary!! LOL Heidi

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hope Everyone had a Happy Mother's Day. Ours was very busy and I haven't even gotten Bingo word posted. There are only three words left so I will just do one today:

La Fiesta- Party

Jeanne, We had some cooler weather and a little rain this weekend too. It was wonderful!

Heidi, That be going to look great. My garden areas are being invaded with poison ivy and I have already had it a few times since Spring arrived. Hope you all have a wonderful day! Amy

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Morning All!

Heidi, the bed looks great so far! What about your flower bed that is a real bed?

Amy, bad luck about the poison ivy, would you believe I haven't seen any of that in years, not even on my hikes.

Beautiful day here, a little cool still. supposed to be up in the 70s tomorrow!

Have a great day, Ladies,

Shirley!

6 years ago

Thanks for asking.

Public Park Flower Beds · More Info
    I'm not happy with it. I planted a groundcover over it, but it never "took" like I wanted it to in the last 2 years. I wanted it to look like a green blanket. Last year the daisies spread which is what's on top now. Previously there were just a few around the perimeter. And of course the plain old GRASS which I pulled out yesterday makes it look like a rumpled hotel bed left for the maid! To the right is ornamental white and green striped grass and it's taken over that area--I inherited that. The city needs to cut down the almost dead tree, but they never have man power or time. On the other end is perennial sunflower and hollyhocks which make people smile and think of their grandmothers. No Balsams came back (Lady Slipper). It just looks so unruly. I'm thinking of pulling everything up on the "bed" and trying again.

Erica--your package went out today. Said it would be there Thursday. Heidi

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great idea with the bed. Maybe creeping Jenny or ajuga would help fill in like a blanket.

Today's word is La celebracion. Does anyone have bingo yet????

I am still working on my package. I think I have it all together except for the plants. I will post when I ship. I am slow moving and thinking this month for some reason.

Have a great day! Amy

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Bingo!! Happy Tuesday!!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Congrats Nicole, Your prize will be on the way!

6 years ago

I like the ajuga idea. Maybe I'll try that.

I played "Musical Chair Seeds" today. Seeds I have that I don't have a specific place to plant--I plant. I find an "empty area" and direct sow. I am always amazed at how many seeds I have to sow! Many of my perennials are blooming early! It rained lsat night and today it's warming up--may hit 85. I have weeds to pull and sunflower seeds to plant, but not sure that's going to happen today. I love spring!!! Heidi

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Amy, I am with you....slow to think and do and move ect this month!!

Congrats Nicole!!

Happy day girls!

Annie

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Morning All! Another beautiful day here, wish this "whatever it is" would clear up so I can get started out there. Antibiotics really do a number on me!

Hope to have my package out by the weekend. Wish me luck!

Have a great day,

Shirley!

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

Heidi -- I received your Cinco De Mayo box yesterday. Thank you so much for the bright socks, gloves, and the thinking-outside-the-box fishy plant markers! Very creative on that one. The plant also looks great. Blackberry? Raspberry? Thanks for all!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have been babysitting everyday after work but will soon get my package together. Have a great day all!

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Hi Xiangirl ~ I am sending out your package and will message you the tracking number.

6 years ago

Erica--red raspberry plant. I'm glad it made it! Even the small ones here at my house produce many little berries. My 17-year-old daughter goes out with her plastic container to pick them and eat them. Heidi

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, Heidi. Sounds delicious!

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Kind of quiet here, thought I'd bump this up a little. Radical difference in temps today, COLD, rainy and gloomy. Just as well I can't get out there! Hope everyone is doing well, have a great night!

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Not sure what is going....I have been unable to post on this FOTESS thread for a couple of days. No problems signing in....I just can not post. Tonight it worked on the second attempt. And On the OBF thread, I type stuff and hit submit and nothing....eventually it works. Is anybody else having problems?

Shirley, how are you feeling?

Beth, I am planning on getting your CINCO DE Mayo fun out on Monday or Tuesday.

Help me out all of you experts.....voles and moles are killing me ....I have Castor Bean plants....no help their. They simply have a blast of fun around the roots of the plant ......I am losing big Rudebeckias, gaillardias, lost two 15 year old rose bushes, pepper plants.....roots eatten away just like that. I am trying Cayenne and garlic...haha. The "eradication" company around here says all of our rain this year has made the problems worse. I think it is more the moles than the voles that are so damaging to plants. But what do I know....

Off my soapbox....vino time.

Happy weekend to all.

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    6 years ago

Annie, We had voles here for a year or two and they are awful. They killed so many of my plants and loved to eat rose bushes in particular. The plant would be fine and two days later I would find it laying on its side with all the roots chewed off. I think the voles are gone now --- at least I hope so. I planted potato plants one year and they ate the roots off them. I thought they were supposed to be poisonous. Maybe they were and that got rid of the voles.

The only thing I've heard to do for the voles is to have an outdoor cat. We used to have one and no voles. However, he got killed by some loose dogs so now I refuse to have my cat outdoors (the cat we have now is a rescue who was declawed on the front so he can't go outdoors even if we wanted him to.)

My husband and I remember this differently so I can't say for sure - I thought one year he bought something to broadcast that was labeled to prevent moles and it helped get rid of the voles. But when I asked him what it was, he said he never put down anything like that so who knows. Don't you love it when our memories get old?

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Annie, I am no help. I have not had that problem. I hope you can find a remedy. I will be getting my fotess and OBF package out this week.

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shirley, Your package is going out tomorrow. Amy

6 years ago

There's a little empty space in one of my flower beds where grass is growing. "That's a good place to plant some seeds," I thought. I dug in and uprooted the grass after a couple tries when I realized I had ants crawling up my arm. Ants were everywhere, running hysterically in all directions, and I swear they were screaming, "The world is ending! The world is ending!" I'm thinking, "Hey, don't you want to go down the hole and check on your 101 ant children?" Every King Kong movie shows everyone running through the streets, so why wouldn't ants want to do the same?! They were tiny three millimeter ants. I sprinkled my seeds in and did my own little version of an "Ant Dance" until they were all gone. It was quite an afternoon! Heidi

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

Heidi -- I received your Beaver Dam Peppers today. Thank you so so much!

6 years ago

Nicole-- What is Cinco Times Cinco!?! It's a Regalo de Nicole!!!

Note the Hot Pink Socks! (I'm a gringa so hot pink is better for me than cayenne hot!), Gloves, Popsicle Stick markers (colored ones, so cool), Plumeria Kuth which blooms white and a plethora of seeds! (How often do you get to use the word plethora?) I'm doing special Macarena steps over the cosmos seeds and sunflower seeds! You are so sweet. Thank you so much!

It rained 5 days straight and it was so COLD. We got 3" over the 5 days and it all soaked in. It was sunny today and now we're back to sprinkles. It's so great to have water so I won't complain too much. Everyone in the state mowed their grass yesterday! Could have been a state holiday. Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

Amy, package is on the way, DC#9505 5158 7401 7143 0447 91 ETA thursday

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Beth....I failed to grab your package yesterday when I went to the PO! It will go out today!!!

Happy day!!

Annie

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Morning All!

Nicole, I just houzzed messaged you about your plant for the swap. The rest of your package will be going out Friday or Saturday. Sorry bout the delay!

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Beth...package sent yesterday.....track # 9505 5141 4411 7144 0834 98.....delivery should be Saturday.

Happy Thursday!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

Annie, I haven't forgotten about you. This month has just been crazy busy for me and I haven't been able to get to the nursery to pick up a plant for you. With this super hot weather we're having, I'm afraid the only thing that might make the trip is a succulent. Everything else is ready, and I promise to get it out before the end of the month.

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Well! Just checked my mail and my Cinco De Mayo package was waiting on me! Amy, you did a really good job with this package. I love all of it!

My computer and/or my sd card from the camera is not allowing me to post a picture, sorry bout that. Not sure what the problem is.

In any event, Amy sent a great package which included a "mystery color" iris bulb! Can't wait til it blooms! Also included in the package were a pair of flowered gardening gloves, two pairs of socks, one with cactus's on it, great choice for Cinco De Mayo, Amy, 5 popsickle (sp) stick plant tags with colorful flower embellishments, wrapped with a pretty, green, red and yellow ribbon and a pack of Victoria Blue Salvia, love salvias! Amy, thank you so much for all this stuff! Good job!

Shirley!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, Thank you for a wonderful package and perfect timing! I love the cute Beet it card and wonderful plants ( columbine pink/white, asparagus and egyptian walking onions that were on my wish list. Thank you so much! I also love the bright pink and black socks they feel so soft. The cute paper lantern is so cute, I will hang it on my porch. Thank you also for the flowered gloves, plant markers and sharpie and bright pinwheel. It was a super surprise! Thank you so much! Amy

Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe. We will be traveling. Take care, Amy

• bluee19
    6 years ago

TGIF everyone!

The lovely sjc48 sent me a gift certificate to prairie moon so I can go shopping. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and she is spoiling me even more mailing me her goodies to me this weekend!! I appreciate your kindness and look forward in getting something in the mail that is not junk mail!! Thank you friend!!

Take care everyone!!

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Erica, no worries.....send when you send!

Happy weekend to all....be safe!!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

Annie -- Dropping your pack off at the PO here in a few mins when they open. Here's your tracking: 9405 5096 9993 7620 1840 42

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Happy Saturday Everyone! I just opened my mail and received a lovely post it note pad that says, "Today is a new beginning"! Thank you Amybabyboy3 for my bingo prize and thanks for hosting this month!!

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Morning All!

Just wanted to say that I'll be posting the June swap sometime this week. Been down and out with pneumonia again, I'm just a little behind on everything.

Nicole, will email you shortly.

Have a great day,

Shirley!

6 years ago

I persuaded my husband to dig out a chunk of ornamental grass that's taken over an iris bed. He broke the handle of his favorite shovel and swore in 3 languages. He says I owe him $22 for a shovel handle. I have a plan--Father's Day is close!! You know how it is...a man and his tools (and cars, boats, trucks, etc.) can never be parted! We did give the grass a new home. Heidi

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Shirley....be well!!

Heidi, did you understand EVERYTHING your husband was saying???

Happy day...hoping all enjoyed this past weekend!

Annie

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

I will give this another go....posted x 2 and they are gone, gone, gone. Erica, your package arrived....wonderful!!

Two pairs of very fun socks, a pair of perrrrttty garden gloves, seeds x3, garden markers and a succulent, which I don't think I have.

Thanks so much Erica!!

Happy Wednesday to all.

Annie

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

The awesome "Annie" sent me a package stuffed with festive glittery surprises!

REal glitter and glittery ribbon tooooo! Old time flowered handherchiefs used as wrapping paper, several packs of seeds from my list a nice pair of working gloves. cuttings from Christmas cactus ( a forever favorite)pink and green plant markers and a truly outstanding wonderful festive pair. LOVE THEM!!!! of Parrot socks. GRacias Gracias Muy Gracias

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Well, Ladies, I owe Nicole, and every one else, sincere and heartfelt apologies for not getting my package out on time. Nicole, I spent the last two days on the couch with breathing treatments of all kinds, just made it down to the Post Office today. I am so sorry! The PO Lady said it should be there by Monday. I surely hope so!

And, is this swap completed? If it isn't, it's probably my fault for being late! Would like to start the June swap, but I won't if this isn't done. Let us know, Okay! Thanks!

Heading outside to assess damage control!

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Shirley, I think this month is done. Amy was planning on returning from her trip either last night or today. I have her in the May OBF swap and am holding off sending to her until I know she is back .......I don't think she would mind if you went ahead and posted the June swap.

Annie

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Morning, All!

Thanks, Annie, I'll be posting the June Swap this evening. Since I am feeling a lot better, I'm going to spend the day outside doing things that should have been done in May! I am so far behind!

Nicole, I received your houzz message, thanks for being so understanding!

Have a great day,, Ladies!

Shirley!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What great packages everyone! We arrived back last night late. Sorry to be missing for so long. Hope you all enjoyed the swap and I will post the sent/received tonight on my way to work today. Can't wait to see what theme Shirley decides for June. Thank you all for joining in! Take care, Amy

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Amy sends to Shirley-received

Shirley sends to Nicole arriving Monday

Nicole sends to Heidi-received

Heidi sends to Erica-received

Erica sends to Annie-received

Annie sends to Beth-received

Beth sends to Amy- received

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Good Morning Everyone! I received my lovely package from Shirley yesterday. I didn't get home until evening so I didn't get a chance to post. I am off to do some errands but will post a pic later today. THANK YOU FRIEND FOR MY GOODIES!!!

• amybabyboy3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome! The month is complete. Thank you everyone!

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Thank Shirley for the beautiful handmade card, gloves, socks, the cosmos, sharpie markers, and the herb seeds plus the gift card!!!

U r awesome!!!

• sjc48
    6 years ago

Glad you are enjoying the package, Nicole, hope the seeds do well for you!

Shirley!