SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdaco3

Pomegranate Tree Beginner Questions

Steven
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just happened to pick up a pomegranate tree on a whim the other day at Home Depot and upon doing a few days of research I realized that I may be in a bit over my head. I just have a few questions, any information given is greatly appreciated!

Important Info: I live in Orlando, FL and plan to keep the tree potted - I have already purchased a 10 gallon smart pot.

First, I don't know how old the tree is, but I'm assuming it's rather young - it's about 3 feet tall and very thin. I'm not sure if I should re-pot it now or when it's a little stronger. Currently it's in a small, plastic container - would it be smart to immediately plant it into the 10 gallon smart pot or should I wait and let it grow some more as is?

Second, The potting soil I bought is organic, but does not contain perlite which is something I know nothing about but just happened to see on a few websites. Is that something I should mix into the soil when I re-pot it?

Third, when should I fertilize and with what type of fertilizer. I read May and November, with slow release fertilizer but I don't know if Orlando's climate would change that at all..?

Fourth, I've seen some varying information regarding watering. Some say to keep the soil moist, while others say to water thoroughly once a week, does this depend on whether it's mature or in the ground?

Finally, I know it's young and not a great picture, but would anyone know what variety it is?

Again, any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments (5)