SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Ooooo violets pride

It finally opened today , all of these buds opened today ! And my heart did a dance! It's the perfect color to me. It does lean toward pink but I just love it . Had a nice fragrance up close as well . I love it already and hope it's a great rose !

Please share photos of yours here if you like !

Comments (57)

• Ashley Zone6b
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh I love it!! Soooo beautiful!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Ashley Zone6b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

Fabulous. I actually love the color and your Flamego Rosita is so pretty. Your yard is really showing your hard work

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Related Discussions

Does anyone have plum perfect and violets pride?

Q

Comments (10)
    Get both if you have room. They are diff colors for sure. My PP bloomed much better but I've had it a little longer than VP. If I had to pick one I'd go with PP bc I don't have any other roses that color and they last forever on the bush and in a vase. Love love love it. I'm sure I will love VP (don't remember it having any pink in it but didn't bloom much) but this girl was blown away with PP. I've deleted so many of my pics but will see if I have any still. Go on now and order it. Go go go. NOW!!! NOW!!! NOW!!! Edit : Ok I think this is a pic of PP. It's hard for me to be confident of a pic from last year. Do you have Poseidon? I came across the bouquet of Poseidon looking for PP
    ...See More

My Violet's pride...

Q

Comments (11)
    VP is so pretty that I'm still trying to decide where to plant my pots! Since the fragrance is mild, I'm leaning towards putting them where I can admire them, rather than being convenient for cutting for the vase. But if the fragrance drastically changes, then I'll want them close! Has anybody had theirs change significantly with age?
    ...See More

Violet's Pride own root

Q

Comments (4)
    If you call Pam from Angel Gardens, she can tell you if she still has the mother plant, so she can root one for you. Heirloom Roses will probably be the quickest and give you the most well developed plant. All other sources appear to be grafted. Perhaps Violet's Pride isn't vigorous on its own roots.
    ...See More

AUGUSTE RENOIR, VIOLET’S PRIDE

Q

Comments (6)
    Beautiful pictures / roses - you must be tickled! I also just bought Violet's Pride. The little buds / blooms are so tiny it looks like a mini, but the color is fantastic, as is the intense fragrance coming out of these little flowers. I was surprised to read the blooms are supposed to be much larger. We'll see!
    ...See More
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Both roses are so nice together. It looks like Flamenco Rosita needs a lot of space. She is quite the star!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • the_bustopher z6 MO
    7 years ago

The Violet's Pride has an interesting coloration. It is pretty. Is it fragrant?

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • User
    7 years ago

Nope, I don't have 'Edith's Darling'. It looks like you have a possible spot :-))

• aprilscott12
    7 years ago

Can't wait for mine to bloom! It struggled last year but seems to finally be growing good. Yours is gorgeous!! Love it!

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Violet's Pride is so cheerful looking in person, isn't she? I have some in the vase because the wind was pounding them but I actually like them much better on the bush.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nice! I'm really impressed with my Violet's Pride. It had a great big flush a few weeks ago and is still blooming. Mine does seem a bit more lavender on the outer petals than yours, I think. Bright pink centers and lavender outer petals, if I'm recalling mine accurately. It's pouring rain right now, so I don't think I will get a picture. Then again, maybe I will. I do need to bring the houseplants inside before dark:) They like the rain too, and this is likely the last we will get until November or December. Lisa

• haku84_zone9
    6 years ago

Beautiful roses Lily. Violets pride is new to me this year. The flowers on mine were mostly lavender, I hope it gets bigger, I think i have it in a bad spot.. will wait and see. Thanks for sharing Lily.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone!! It was this pinky purple the first day or two but now is all lavender. I think it had a little fragrance bustopher but not much yet. It isn't very humid to help with that . I love it! I have a nepeta behind it and the color contrast to my eye is just so gorgeous! When it blooms a little more I'll share a photo . This rose brings me so much joy! I really hope it reblooms a lot . I'll be surely feeding it a lot

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I just went out to have a look at mine. Right now none of the blooms have any pink whatsoever, just pure lavender. I was sure last time I saw bright pink centers. Anyway, I love Violet's Pride. She's been blooming for weeks now and has only been planted a few months. Lisa

Not the best looking after the rain we just had, but that shouldn't be a problem, as we don't get rain here often.

This bush must have had 50-100 blooms just a few weeks ago. See all the new buds behind these blooms? What a bloomer! Lisa

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Everyone's pics have inspired me to order 5 Violet's Pride Roses this spring. I was thinking of putting them in a cutting bed. Though they look so nice and well behaved as a bush. I am wondering if I should put them around an arbor or bench for a group effect. What do you all think? What would you do with 5 of these roses?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen , I'm so sorry I didn't see this till now ! I think it sounds lovely behind a bench . The bush was very pleasant all summer long , not super strong fragrance though . I wonder how others fared over the winter. One of mine died back very far but maybe my graft was up to high? Maybe just make sure to bury that baby. I can be careless sometimes .

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Lilyfinch - Wow!!! I am sooo impresses by the amount of blooms VP produces in yours and in Lisa's pics. I keep going back and forth on this rose...I think when I see it in perfect (and smell it) I'll figure out if I'll get it. But based on this...I'll get it!

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

My three own-root came through the winter fine though certainly not the first to bloom. However, it's been a super cold (for us) winter, and might freeze again tonight. Last week we had a day of 86 have 20 degree windchills by morning so it's tough on the plants.

I think that they would be lovely around a bench. Their shape here is very fluffy though, wider than tall! The scent is pleasant but still quite faint at this point.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Thank you Lilyfinch and Lavenderlace. The roses came too soon for me so I don't have enough time to prepare for such a spot. I currently have them grown in my cutting bed. I will move them out when I have their spots ready. I can't wait to see the full bushes in blooms. The blooms have such a romantic look and color to them.

• Jacqueline Tong _ Seattle Zone 8b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is mine, right in the front of the rose garden. I bought her late summer 2017, and she is just starting to bloom this year...so many flower buds, can't believe how large she got in less than one year. She gets a lot of compliments, even compared to all the larger David Austins just behind her. Except I find that she isn't very photogenic, pictures just don't do her justice, on the internet I have yet found a single picture really capturing her beauty well, there is this delicate quality about the entire plant that just look amazing but does not get across in photos. A challenge for the photographer in me, I will try to take more pics when she is in full bloom.

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Wow, so gorgeous! And yet, your adorable kitty steals the show. Thanks for sharing your pics of VP. I think even your kitty likes to be near VP?

5 years ago

Oh yes, my kitties love my roses in general. You may see the Queen of Sweden David Austin rose just behind VP, I planted that today. Queen of Sweden is nice and upright, so should be a good neighbor to my wilder VP. Anyway, my other kitty dug next to the roots of the new rose and pooped right into it to give it a good start immediately after I planted it. :)

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

cats and roses are my favorite combo

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

Lily finch.. it’s beautiful!! Was this one a part of ur Spring Hill order?

i just put this one in ground snot 2 weeks back and it’s already showing a lot of new growth. It was in a pot .. I am loving it..

• annievibes
    5 years ago

wow! so much beauty!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Karen, that couldn’t be any prettier!

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

These are gorgeous VPs!!! The blooms seem fairly small...is that true?

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Thank you Kentucky_rose and Carol! When fully open, they measure about 3.25".

2.3" -2.5

3"

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked KarenPA_6b
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Thanks for the size info!!

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago
    So pretty !!! I am drooling over them:)
    5 years ago

Ok, I am so happy with my VP...I thought the first flush was over but my goodness she is really going crazy with the number of flower buds, and she grows fast too considering this is her first Spring in my yard, already looking like a mature plant. And I love the delicate shape she has, but not at all floppy, which gives it a very elegant look. I guess she really likes the spot I put her in, though it was meant to be a temporary location, I didn't mean to put her front and center in my yard like that..., but looks like this is her home then. She is right now in front of all my other David Austins, and the others definitely have bigger flowers, but VP really stands out nonetheless. She has this delicate old English rose quality which is just amazing, and I don't think it is mentioned much here but she smells incredible too. She earned this spot!

Here is a picture of her blooms this morning, she is just covered with new buds.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Jacqueline Tong _ Seattle Zone 8b
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Wow - I love the stuffed look of the petals! I smelled one once...the smell IS incredible...that's for sure. Lovely!

Carol

• mmmm12COzone5
    5 years ago

Beautiful! I watched the weeks roses video on how they were breeding for the constant blooms among other thinks and I guess it is true. Now I want a Violets Pride but the greenhouse near me is out. :-(

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

We'll have to wait until fall to order one. :)

Carol

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago
    Did I tell u?? This is my new favorite. I put this one into ground few weeks ago..and it already has so many buds n blooms..
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

R - that looks like a super prolific and beautiful rose ... just a few weeks ago...and it already looks like that!

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

This rose is really awesome. It had just finished a flush for me and now is sending new shoots with buds. I don't think I have as good a repeat of a floribunda as this rose. Its repeat is almost as good as my blush knockout.

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

I agree Karen, only easy does it performs for me this way ...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I've been pleasantly Amazed by the repeat Bloom on Cinco de Mayo!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

How tall does Cinco de Mayo get ?

Original Author
    5 years ago

Great pics added!! How could anyone resist this rose with all these awesome photos? Mine is between blooms now

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Karen - and Violet's Pride has an amazing fragrance that Blush KO doesn't!!

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

You are right, Carol! It is much prettier than BLush KO too. :)

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Yeah, baby!!!

Carol :)

5 years ago

Kristine, Cinco de Mayo was knew the spring and was only planted in May. However, after one flush with maybe two dozen flowers it immediately started pushing out New Growth which bloomed within one week. It's still blooming now. It's been non-stop Bloom since I got it. It's still very small so I couldn't really tell you how big it will ultimately get. If you want a showy Rose that has an unusual coloring which Fades to Lilac this rose is for you.

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

I'm so tickled. I bought Violets Pride a few weeks ago, not from seeing all the incredible reviews, but because I saw those perfect little lavender blooms, and when I stuck my nose in them, the scent was heavenly. SOLD!

Now seeing the threads on VP, I'm so excited about this purchase. That's my new little gem in my new bed, with the blooms.

I've had Cinco de Mayo for about 5-6 years now. She's been moved once. She's a shapely bush for me, about 5' in all directions, and pretty much blooms non-stop. Mine's on Dr. Huey.

• Sam The Roseman (SE Michigan-zone6a)
    5 years ago

Here's my VP this summer. Love her pretty shades of violet as she opens her petals. Her wonderful old rose smell brings back lots of memories.

5 years ago

Your picture is bringing bac k summer memories! Lovely! ; )

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Karen R. - Are those do-it-yourself gopher cages in the unplanted holes? If so, how do you do them? I can't dig and extract enough dirt to fit the pre-formed ones available. Making one to conform to what I can give it sounds workable. And I don't see the edges sticking up around the existing roses - are they there and hiding? I know those pre-formed cages you unfold say to keep a few inches above ground but then I'm always tripping over them.

Thanks for any info you could share.

5 years ago

Hi Mary. I have caged over 140 roses, and use 3' wide 20 gauge galvanized chicken wire with 1" holes. I buy 150' rolls when I'm doing a lot, and 50' rolls when not that many. I cut off approx a 4 - 5' section per hole, dig the hole size I prefer (I've never measured them, but I' estimate about 1 3/4' wide and 2' deep). I'm then pretty goofy about how I set them, as I lay the 4' section over the top centered, and step into the center then stomp it down all around. Then I bend the wire that's sticking out along the sides, preferring to lay over a little flat on the sides if I have extra, but I don't worry about it if there isn't enough left.

It's a very unscientific process, I eyeball everything and don't measure, but since I've been doing this I haven't lost a single rose to gophers.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Thank you Karen. That sounds doable and very adaptable to size and variety of plant. I might very well give it a try.

5 years ago

If you do it, do yourself a favor and buy a pair of wire cutters! I killed a few pruning shears prior to doing so!