SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triffidmoss

Where I live and how my hoyas grow here!

triffidmoss
7 years ago

It's fascinating and informative to read about how people grow their hoyas in their part of the world. There are so many different variables! I find myself asking (probably too many) questions about various plants and how they might grow for me here. Here being Australia. I'm an amateur in this area and only started to seriously start growing them in the last two years. Some of the problems I have found is finding info for my area but the good thing is a lot of these plants seem to have set growing conditions they like or dislike and it's always worth giving a plant a go just to see how it grows for me in my part of the world. (or just for me, yes multiflora, I mean you, you horrible turd.)

I'm going to put my experiences here about what sort of place I live in and how things are growing for me and please, feel free to add yours! Where are you located? What grows well for you, and why? What temps and conditions do you have in your area? I have some plants that like living here, some don't and some I just don't know because I haven't had them for a full turning of the seasons. I need to stop cluttering up other threads with observations and questions about my hoyas, so from now I will chuck them in here lol. So here is my start. Growing hoyas Down Under.

Or in my case way down under, in Tasmania. So, background wise Tassie is Australia's southern state and is basically that lump of rock between the mainland and Antarctica. It's know for it's convict history, breathtaking wilderness and beaches and the home of the sadly now very endangered Tasmanian Devil. It's cold. It snows in places though not in my city, much. Apparently it has done but not in my time here (ever I hope)

Wikipedia tells me " The coldest month is July, with an average temperature range of 2.2 °C (36 °F) to 12.5 °C (55 °F) Summer is 12.2 °C (54 °F) to 24.4 °C (76 °F) with a few days in the 30 °C (86 °F) and on occasions up to 39 °C " range that tend to catch tourists unawares and burn them to a crisp because of the low humidity.

I don't want to simplify the weather to "freezing cold" or " not cold" because in Spring and Autumn it can be both! Several times on the same day! Yay! Bi-polar weather.

I don't like the cold, I'm from Darwin, the other end of Australia.

Comments (3)

Sponsored