SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Is This A Virus Problem? Or A Common Issue? Anyone Know?

PoohBearLvr
6 years ago

Hey all.

This is my new 'SpiderMan' adenium, it and my 'Velvet Constellation' are finally growing, my 'Blue Dragon' is JUST starting to show growth tiny buds showing. On one of two stems that it came with. But as you see in the pictures, the leaves are 'Wavy', for lack of a better description. The leaves ARE a deep green, my camera makes them look light green or yellowish. ** SORRY... I JUST looked at it, and the leaves are striped like a zebra almost, it is kind of pretty!*** Is this a virus?

Anyway...I could swear I read on here someplace, that IF leaves on an adenium look 'Wavy' or have a color problem like this, it means it has a virus, or some other bad disease. Is this true? Or does anyone have other adeniums with 'Wavy' leaves or with the light stripping on it, like this in their collection? I have a huge double red, that I got at Lowes like 2-3 years, I potted it up 5 weeks ago...and it now is putting out a tons of new growth and lots of huge buds, and it has a FEW Wavy/Bent leaves on the new growth. But it is very healthy and growing great! Same conditions/care.

Anyway.....I contacted the seller, on EBay, that I bought this from, and frankly, while I was 'talked to' politely, at first I was told that they have NEVER seen 'Wavy' leaves like this before on ANY of their adeniums, I even missed the light green stripping, but they saw it in the pics, i guess. And I was told to keep an eye on it, and IF the leaves turn yellow or the flowers drop or are deformed, let them know.

THEN the next email, the next day, I got was kind of 'snotty', like a corporate line.....'we sell tens of thousands of adeniums, they are all soaked in an anti-fungicide for 3 hrs, before shipping, and they are sent with no leaves/buds, have passed all Oregon nursery tests etc.....' , like I was accusing them of selling me a diseased plant. And if I was 'the one lucky person out of thousands' to get a plant with a virus in it, out of the tens of thousands that they have sold, that I should, dig it up, and they will email me a prepaid shipping label, and ship it back to them for a refund. I decide what to do, but if I keep it, it is MY plant. And they basically don't want to hear me complain later! So I have to decide NOW!

So now I'm ticked. They didn't offer to send me a replacement, IF there is a problem, I told them I WANT this variety, and it is new growth,its first growth, it is growing, the ones right next to it are growing, finally, but they kind of blamed me this issue. They said it must be my environment, or it is missing micro-nutrients, I feed them already with Miracle-Gro 20-20-20 fert.

So...is this a disease, or is it just new leaves, is it just a fluke, maybe I have some kind of new 'mutant strain', and I'll have the first one in the world of some new variety?!

Do adeniums have ANY 'variegated' leaves? Since I now see this light green striping on the leaves as well. I think it is pretty.

To me it just looked kind of odd,...now I am concerned, and have a 'time limit'

on getting a refund, that I dont want, I want the plant, or take the risk that it has a virus or something else wrong, and it is mine to deal with, period. So...whats the consensus? This is outside in full sun all day. Best pics. I could take. You can kind of see the 'light green stripes' in the first picture. They are a bit bigger and a bit smoother, 2 days later...today.

Comments (29)