SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27330420

Need your advice and experience with gravel paths and drainage

User
7 years ago

We've removed the lawn in our backyard and are planning on paths through garden beds. Right now we've dug the path several inches deep to accommodate a crushed rock base. I was thinking of laying 3" of crushed rock as a base (1/4" minus?) and topping it with an inch of washed 1/4" 10 gravel for a decorative appearance. Originally we planned on laying flagstone but because it turned into a
DIY project, I'm not sure we can undertake that all at once. Over time, we could add some flagstones on the entire path. I'm going for this look initially, using flagstones for a landing pad off the deck:

Suhr-Brown, Bainbridge Island, WA · More Info
This landscape designer used landscape fabric under crushed rock. Is fabric a must in the PNW? We do have puddles in some areas of the path, so I'm worried that the path will
be a muddy mess despite using a base of crushed rock. If using 3" of crushed rock, will it sink into the clay base? Does landscape fabric help with that? I think she used 3/4" washed rock but I want to use the 1/4" that we've used before, and I know we'll need to refresh it every year or two.

This is what it looks like now, though the piles of dirt are gone:

We put this short path in four years ago by just laying flagstone on the ground and leveling it with sand, then adding the 1/4" washed rock around the flagstones. We never planned it to be a permanent path, and now that it will run throughout the entire yard, we want to do it right.

Comments (7)