SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ral1121

New to organic lawn care and setting up a plan

ral1121
7 years ago

I am brand new to organic lawn care and am starting to get a plan together for how to feed this growing season. The first thing I did was apply a trop dressing made of sand and compost to help level my yard a month ago. I had also put down corn gluten meal before that as a pre emergent.

My plan is to rotate between soybean meal, alfalfa pellets, and corn gluten meal for monthly feedings. I am sure I want to use the soybean meal because it seams to have a higher protein content. I am also thinking about switching out the alfalfa pellets because I just don't like the way it looks to have pellets on the lawn for a few days before they finally break down. I am thinking about corn meal instead because it is very cheap but it does not seem to have high protein content although dchall has said he has had great success using corn meal even though it has a low protein content. My understanding is that high protein content means more food which means more nitrogen production. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess what I want is to make soybean meal my main feeding but rotate something else in every other month. Whether it is corn gluten meal, corn meal, or alfalfa pellets( would like to stay away from pellets if possible). I understand it is very beneficial to switching things up.

The last thing I am going to do is put down molasses to jump start my lawn. This is only the second year of my lawn( new built house in May 2016). My house pretty much sits on top of rock except for the couple of inches of builders soil mix they brought in to lay Bermuda sod. I also put down shampoo a couple days ago to help with runoff although I don't know how much better it can get. I know it takes time.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations