SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Wall colors to go with mixed grey cabinets & exposed brick?

DrB477
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So things are nearing the finish line with a pretty extensive/expensive addition and remodel (we started construction a little before Christmas). Most of our selections are now done, but having a little trouble with the wall color since there are so many elements to consider and the layout is more than just a rectangular room.

This is our floor plan, the kitchen and mudroom are all new.

We selected a mix of painted and stained cabinets. Painted is matched to SW Repose Grey and the stained is a custom "Driftwood" with ebony/black glaze. The "L" run of cabinets including the range is painted, everything else is stained.

The existing chimney is staying as exposed brick and will back up to the range. I wanted to leave it as brick, but I'm considering painting it white (to match trim) for cleaning reasons and because when we exposed the 6" brick that was covered by a drop ceiling previously, the brick that was covered looks different than the brick that was already exposed.

Flooring is a wood look tile and is already purchased. Cabinets are already ordered (the samples below are just the colors, not the style). Backsplash tile shown is MSI Whisper White Arabesque which I'm pretty set on, but not yet ordered. The countertop is expected to be LG Viatera Muse which is a new marble look pattern with a fairly pure white background and grey veining.

I think I want to go with something in the blue, green, or blue/green family. I tested samples from two color strips. Sea Salt/Comfort Grey just because I like them in other pictures and Tradewind/Rain which are on the same color strip as our living room (SW Riverway).

LG muse

Adjacent dining room painted in SW Distance (the two rooms will be open to each other with a 4.5' cased opening). I don't have a great picture of the dining room (it's a mess currently, but the color sample is pretty accurate to how it looks). We will also have a thermador range with blue knobs which we will use for some decorative accessories like an enamaled dutch oven, trivets, etc.

I think what I want to do is comfort grey on the room perimeter and rain on the the walls of the coat closet and pantry? I know people suggest waiting on paint, but the contractor is pretty insistent on painting before the cabinets are installed for both ease of doing it and timeline purposes.

Does that work? Should I go with the lighter shades? Should I just stick with one color on everything? I think the lighter colors look kind of washed out, particularly the sea salt against the repose grey cabinets. Any thoughts on the brick painted/unpainted from a cosmetic standpoint?

I'll post a few more pictures of the space in the first comment.

Comments (13)