SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

The return of Abe Darby and a few of his friends

Ann9BNCalif
7 years ago

We're supposed to get some rain-free days and lots of sun coming so I hope by next week a lot more of my roses start their spring flush. Here are a few early bloomers.

Abraham Darby - still a small shrub after three years but I love the multi-colored, fragrant blooms. One of my all-time favorites. It's lasting quite long in the vase too combined with All American Magic below.

Young Lycidas was planted last fall and he's now covered with buds. This was the first bloom from last Saturday. He was cut and put in the vase below and is still holding up well even as of today. He's one of the longest lasting cut flowers I've ever had. My camera can't capture the magenta and violet color blend accurately. YL may become my favorite DA rose for color, form, and especially fragrance.

Mary Rose - this standard has exploded after only one year in the ground. I recommend Mary as a standard because she's always one flush ahead of my Charlotte and Tamora standards, and her rounded shape is lovely. I just planted a Winchester Cathedral standard a few months ago based on the success of Mary Rose; hope he does just as well.

Princess Alexandra of Kent - produced this first bloom this morning. The bush looks about 50% bigger than last year and it's definitely now the biggest DA shrub in the garden which is quite a surprise.

Madame Ernst Calvat - I posted another photo of this rose on the Antique Rose Forum yesterday but I'm in love with this OGR. I hope to see it sport back into MIP as Jeri Jennings has suggested happens on occasion.

Hope to see more first blooms from everyone on this forum!

Ann

Comments (94)

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - I like the more stiff growth :) so if Munstead Wood perks up...I'll really love it!

Charles de Gaulle looks heavenly!! Wish I could sniff it.

Carol

Ann9BNCalif thanked rosecanadian
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Rose_crazy, Hortico has AB Darby, they still ship bare root roses.

Ann9BNCalif thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Related Discussions

Abe Darby---

Q

Comments (22)
    Yep, that Abe is a lover alright !!! By code, do you mean html ? I just started posting full size pics instead of the link style small ones. The pics come through on my post preview so I just assumed I was doing it right. Here's the small one... Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

hello friends! a few questions about starting my SFG...

Q

Comments (7)
    thank you for the suggestions. i got a 4 cu. ft. bag of vermiculite from a pool supply - i'm hoping its the right kind. i'm going to return the perlite and give the guy an earful for selling me perlite when i asked for vermiculite! not really, but this is really a headache! i'll feel better tomorrow once i get my soil mixed up and my seeds in =)
    ...See More

Abe Darby looks mighty thankful to be out of his pot

Q

Comments (9)
    Lavender Lace, Jude smells better than Abe. Its a different scent..fruitier and stronger. Very yummy lol. Jude is nice here but its hot much of the year and the blooms blow quickly. When its cooler and they stay more globular its so pretty. It repeats really well and is a large rose. I still love Abe more because he's one of my favorites.
    ...See More

Abraham Darby

Q

Comments (13)
    Uh-oh, don't get me started talking about Abe! He's what got me involved in Austins. Five years ago, when I moved to house with a larger yard and had the room to start growing roses, I visited the local public rose garden. There was the Austin section which was a bit run down, with mostly older Austins and many of the labels were gone. There was one rose that caught my eye every time I saw it in bloom. It had a delicious fragrance, but it wasn't labelled. The closest label was 'The Reeve'. I kept an eye on it for the next year, and although it did get mildew and balled in the rain, I kept coming back to it. It didn't look like the photos of 'The Reeve' on the web. I finally discovered the rose forum and in 2015 posted the question. Rick and Hoovb immediately suggested Abraham Darby. Although I had been eyeing photos of Abe in books for years, none of those photos looked like the globular/cupped blossoms that I was seeing at the rose garden. Fearful that they were renovating the garden and might remove it, when they were deadheading, I obtained a deadhead and rooted it. I also bought a potted Abe from the local nursery. The potted one: It looked similar, but not quite. I still wasn't sure. Planted in the garden, it was miserable, wilting and droopy as soon as the sun hit it. Also much more orange than the flowers I was hoping for. I removed it. Meanwhile, my little cutting grew and produced a little flower... ...which was orange! Not pink like the parent plant. And the one in the rose garden bloomed like this that year: The next year, 2016, my cutting (planted in a better spot than the first one I purchased, when I realized that the reason the first one was in a rain shadow) produced flowers like this... ...and then like this... ...and then like this: Okay, now I was pretty sure it was Abraham Darby. I bought two more form DA roses this year. So far, my little Abes have not had gangly or lax canes. You can see from the first photo that the Abe at the public rose garden is small and bushy. I think that is the effect of this climate, with the intense sun and heat. Maybe in a few years and better nutrition, I'll get a little more growth from them. Maybe you can try yours in your sunniest part of your garden? You shouldn't have any problems with lack of moisture like I have, and Abe likes having water, that's for sure. From April this year: Flowers nod a bit, but that's one of the reasons I love them.
    ...See More
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol - MW will never flop like YL so he's perfect for what you prefer.

CdG is quite pretty and fragrant. He started out as a "rosecanadian" too coming from Palatine last year. I'm waiting to see if he stays small which would be perfect for where he's planted. It's ironic that Meilland named this small rose after a man who was 6' 5!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Give peace and Abe a chance!

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - your Abe is the best I've ever seen!!! That's fabulous!!! Palantine is wonderful, isn't it! And, yes, that IS ironic!! He must have smiled over that.

Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Carol! I also had great luck with Hortico this year - my Pretty Jessica has been outstanding.

Ann

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Ann, your pics are gorgeous! Especially CdG. Mine have stayed small even when most of mine go way over their promised size. I wanted small but was kind of worried if he was happy or not!

Ann9BNCalif thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you lavenderlace! My CdG was in a pot last year, planted last fall and got settled in well. But he was moved about two months ago so he's working on getting settled again. Here's a photo from one week ago.

He was only 12-18" last year in the pot. HMF says 31 - 39" so he's destined to be small but I guess the question is how small? The bloom is a fairly normal HT size but the plant is more like the size of a mini flora.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - That's a lovely Pretty Jessica!! Maybe I should keep mine. I was going to give it to a friend. But I only have so much room - some of them have to go. :) I think Alec's Red is going. I've had it for 4 years, just hasn't amounted to anything.

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Ann, I'm not sure if my CdG are even 12"! They arrived as tiny little things, sad and droopy, with most of the leaves totally black. I was sure that they were going to die but they've managed to hang in there. Each plant has one little bloom on it and I do like the fragrance.

I assumed that mine are so small because they were so sickly looking. But maybe they will just stay small, which is what I wanted! Mine are still in the pots.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol - On behalf of Jessie, please let her stay one more year. She's a great rose -- pretty and fragrant!

lavenderlace - If you really like CdG, you might consider getting one from Palatine and growing him from a healthy root stock. If you want to know how mine does this year, just send me a message! I can send you photos so can evaluate if he's a rose you'd like to get again.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - sounds like a good idea! I'll let her stay another year. :)

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Thanks Ann!

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol - So glad PJ gets to stay! Hope she performs well for you this year.

lavenderlace - You're welcome! Since your name suggests you really like lavender, getting a healthy CdG might be worthwhile for you.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

:)

Yay for PJ!!

Carol

• hcarnevale
    6 years ago

I love all of your pics. Everything looks so happy and healthy. I'm a huge Austin fan myself. My YL wasn't anything special the first 2 years due to location. I moved her last year into more sun and she exploded. I love her now. Mine doesn't flop. It may be due to its age now. I would love to grow standards, but can't in my zone. They would freeze here. Keep posting more pics of them so I can live vicariously through you...

Ann9BNCalif thanked hcarnevale
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

hcarnevale - yours doesn'f flop?? Do you prune it right done in the spring to achieve this??

Carol

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh man!! I'm going to keep mine!! I was going to give it to a friend!! It was brand new last year. I've got to at least give it a couple more.

Your pictures are divine!!!

Carol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

hcarnevale, what a pretty garden. That first photo is quite something.

Ann9BNCalif thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

There are some extremely beautiful photos in this thread! Keep them coming!

Ann9BNCalif thanked fragrancenutter
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hcarnevale - I remember your photos from 2016 which inspired me to buy more Austins! You are doing a fabulous job with all your roses but especially your DA roses. Your landscaping is lovely and your photography is great! Thank you for your kind comments.

fragrancenutter - You have provided so many people on this forum with wonderful photos and valuable information about your roses. I received my Sonia Rykiel on Monday. Based on your experience, I think I'm planting it in just the right spot and look forward to seeing some beautiful blooms.

Thank you!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's been a drizzly day but I happen to love the rain and hope it keeps going for awhile more. Here are a few more friends of Abe Darby who got the sprinkles this morning.

Fair Bianca - This was the first bloom and I love the pinkish undertone and red buds. This discontinued DA came from Hortico and was planted in December. After five months, it's covered with buds and about to pop. Fragrance is myrrh with some sweet and spicy notes.

Prospero is starting his second year and has a lovely garnet color, very fragrant. So far, he's quite compact at about 2ft.

The Prince has a similar but darker coloring than Prospero. The shape of the bloom is round. Early buds appear nearly black. The leaves of both Prospero and The Prince are a very bright green. He's also a little over 2ft tall.

Princess Anne is planted alternately with Pretty Jessica in my front yard. I'm enjoying the light and dark pinks together. Behind PA and PJ, is a row of alternating Fair Bianca and Prospero.

Double Delight, a classic and very fragrant bi-color rose.

Pope John Paul II - This rose is known for its amazing fragrance but also has a very nice spiral in its early stages.

Mitsouko is starting her second year and she's in her full flush, producing very large (4+inches) blooms. There's a light fragrance this year, not much last year. She's a Peace-style rose in color but last year there was a lot of color variation where the rose would have one very dominant color -- either yellow, white, orange and pink, with some supplementary colors. Looking forward to seeing if that happens again.

Hope you enjoyed these additional friends of Abe!

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - I'm in love with your Princess Anne!! Wow!!! Love all of your roses!!

Carol

• hcarnevale
    6 years ago

I'll be very interested to see how both Fair Bianca and Prospero do for you. They are two roses I'm interested in as well. I'd love to hear how they do this year in terms of rebloom and overall health. They all look wonderful.

Ann9BNCalif thanked hcarnevale
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ann I agree with you about both hcarneval and fragrancenutter's gardens being inspirational! Yours is inspirational too! I made several purchases based on your recommendations, photos and how roses did in your garden. I received Mitsouko from Palatine a couple months ago and am excited to see it bloom! I love those chameleon color changing roses! Gorgeous photos.

Ann9BNCalif thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all!

Carol - Princess Anne appears to be a rose that will work well in a pot so she might be good for you. I know you love strong fragrance and PA has moderate fragrance in our cool temps so far. Not sure what her fragrance will be like once we heat up.

hcarnavale - I'll post photos of FB and Prospero as they develop. Here's a bush shot of little Prospero. When I first planted both Prospero and The Prince it seemed like they would never grow. But by fall they looked like this and they live in partial shade. So if you planted them in more sun, you might get more growth. Both roses would look great if you planted two, or even three together for visual impact.

Cori - thanks for you kind comments! Looking forward to seeing how Mitsouko does for you. Your yard is spectacular and I know we'll be seeing your wonderful photos as it progresses!

Ann

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Ann, thanks so much for those wonderful pictures, wow!

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks lavenderlace! Here are two fragrant lavenderish roses that you might like.

Nicole Carol Miller

Lavender Crystal

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - just a moderate fragrance, huh....yeah, don't think it will make the grade as I am full up on plants, and new ones must be better than my current ones. Next year I may only (Gasp) buy one new rose (no, don't say it!!!)

Ann - Oh my goodness!!!! Your lavender roses are fabulous!!! I love them both...but Lav. Cry. may be the best - love the wrinkly petals!!! Oh wow!!

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

LOVE them Ann, thank you!! What do you think about the fragrance?

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

lavenderlace - Nicole Carol Miller has moderate fragrance most of the time, maybe a bit lighter when it's hot. However, last fall NCM was "exceptionally fragrant" once the weather cooled off. I walked up to this rose several times a day because I couldn't believe how fragrant it was. It also got quite pale once summer was over.

My Lavender Crystal mini rose is light to moderately fragrant but consistently so which is great since it seems like most minis aren't fragrant at all. It's a lot bigger than this photo and is a mini bloom machine at the moment. Since this is LC's first spring, I can't comment too much about her yet.

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol - there's always room for more roses, especially if you grow in pots! In your climate these roses may be more fragrant than in my dry, warm weather. Wrinkly petals? I love that description! Maybe crinkly?

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ann - nope - there's only so much room in my garage. :) Unless my hubby decides to park his car outside - not going to happen....well...hmmm....maybe I can work on that!! :) I find that when it's the hottest there's the best fragrance here. Just the opposite of most people on this forum.

Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really admire your dedication to rose gardening! You definitely need that garage in the winter.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

heh, heh, heh...I'll work on him all summer. Except that means he can NEVER use his part of the garage (we have a 3 car garage with two cars and 52 rose pots) again. I don't know if he'll go for that. But, I'll definitely give it a try. Heh, heh :) Thanks for the nice comment too! We're all the same...roses are our passion. We do what we can. :)

I have my hubby in the car for 3 hours tomorrow....operation garage is on!! LOL

Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You go girl! Got my fingers crossed!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

You've added so much more beauty to this amazing thread, Ann. Oh, how I'd like to grow Lavender Crystal. Like Carol, I've run out of room, and even a large mini seems more feasible to me. I love the wrinkly-crinkly petticoat blooms of LC, too. Prospero is gorgeous with a unique bloom structure. Is Mitsouko a Japanese rose? It has a very large bloom, doesn't it? Lovely rose. This is a wonderful thread. Thanks. Diane

Ann9BNCalif thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much Diane! Your roses, photos, and general garden wisdom have been an inspiration and I truly appreciate your postings!

I highly recommend Lavender Crystal. With its relatively large blooms, it works well as a focal point at the front of a border of regular-sized roses while still fitting in size-wise.

According to HMF, Mitsouko was bred in France by Delbard. It's name sounds Japanese though! HMF says that the rose is about 2ft high and 4ft wide, which corresponds to my experience where the rose wants to spread her arms out, maybe because the blooms are so large and heavy. It's not great for fragrance yet, but a little better so far this spring than last year. Last fall when the rain first started, the rose balled very badly and and I thought this is not a good rose for people who live where it rains throughout the year. But now I'm not sure, since it developed just perfectly this winter and spring with no rain damage at all.

Prospero's petals are slightly pointed or maybe diamond shaped? The effect is really charming and I just love this rose.

Ann

6 years ago

Ann how does Mitsouko's coloring seem to respond to sun and heat in your yard? More red coloring... like Double Delight or Archduke Charles... or does it fade to pink and cream like All American Magic?

Also...does it seem to like the sun and heat, in general? Or does it need a little more afternoon shade? Thank you so much!

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Cori - In Mitsouko's first year in my yard and she got all day sun. There wasn't any fading, just varying colors. In fact some of the strongest yellows, pinks, oranges I saw were in July and August. However, my 9b summer temps average about high 80s to low 90s, which I believe is cooler than your neighborhood. My overall impression is that this is a tough rose, not too finicky. As it settles in, it seems to be more impervious to weather. For example, it balled badly last fall when we first got rain. This spring, there was no balling at all even though we got really heavy constant rain. Last year, blooms were medium-sized, this year they are large to extra large. The growth pattern is a bit awkward - more wide than tall, canes sticking out at different angles. I'm not seeing the color variations I saw last year; so far she's a Peace-colored rose, slightly fragrant, with very large blooms. I just deadhead and chopped her back and we'll see what happens next! But overall, I think you might try the all day sun first and see how she does. I don't think she's a water hog either. Good luck!

Ann

6 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer Ann! :-) I will repay you in photos as soon as she blooms.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos Cori!

Ann

• rose_crazy_da
    6 years ago

Thanks to your gorgeous pictures of Ab Darby Ann ...I just bought one last week

Ann9BNCalif thanked rose_crazy_da
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    6 years ago

For those wanting to know about Lavender Crystal, I have grown her about 20 years. I got her as a mini standard from Ralph Moore back in the day. She got so big that the stock she was on was getting wonky, so I planted her on her own root and she has been a growing machine ever since. She is a mini that grows to be about 2 to 3 feet. Due to the large amount of rain this year, it was the first time I have ever seen black spot on her. I pulled off the leaves and she immediately grew new ones. She does take my heat (we can be over 105 degrees for a few months at a time, only cooling off to the 80's at night for two seconds) and she gets the brunt of the sun in the afternoon and pretty much all day. For me, she is a great little rose.

Ann9BNCalif thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    6 years ago

Sorry, 3:30 in the morning here so I forgot to tell everyone what beautiful roses and fabulous pictures they have posted. Just gorgeous!

Whomever is growing Pretty Jessica, give her a chance. I have had her (actually three of her) growing in my front yard for the past several years. She is on her own root and has to be one of my best roses that I grow. When I was deadheading her last week, I called her one of my old faithfuls. I probably have had her for 7 years in the same spot. Gets the brunt of the afternoon sun and still blooms. She is nice and upright and holds her flowers well. She only gets to be about 5 feet or so and is one of the most mannered of the DA roses. Bought her based upon recommendations from folks here on this site and have not been disappointed. I am so happy I got her and have kept her. She gets compliments all the time. Has a nice fragrance as well. Practically thornless too, which is a plus for a DA rose. No disease for me. I find that DA roses take at least three years to come into their own in my garden so I don't think you will be disappointed if you give her a chance to stay.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh wow!!! That's incredible!!! Yes, mine is one I've been thinking of getting rid of....but it's still here in my yard starting to wake up from winter. I've got to keep it, and see if it can look anything like that!! Wow!!

Carol

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Mustb, Lavender Crystal and Pretty Jessica, WOW! I always love the white shingles and black lamps in the background too. So classic.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    6 years ago

rose_crazy - I hope you enjoy Abe Darby and please post photos when available!

mustb - thank you for your info on Lavender Crystal. I'm very happy to have this rose and look forward to seeing her grow! I'm also enjoying Pretty Jessica and was encouraged by your prior photos to purchase her. It was a great decision!

Ann

6 years ago

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments on my roses. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours!