SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet7sweet8

Dim apartment, non-commercial grow lights

Cait D
7 years ago

I have a number of fairly low-maintenance houseplants in our 500 square foot studio. Our single window, while generous, faces north.

I've used a light meter app (GreenThumb) and at midday, we're getting about 350 foot-candles on the wide window-ledge. Most of the plants live there. Step back a few feet, and it drops pretty quickly. Direct light doesn't ever hit the floor.

It would be great to have more plants, but I think we'd need the support of artificial light. Can you help me with some beginner questions?

1. No seriously, which bulbs actually work? We're just talking house plants, nothing fussier than a parlor palm. I almost made the mistake of trying to learn about orchids today in addition to "grow" lights.

2. Are there any bulbs we could place in, for example, and existing hallway ceiling fixture? How would that work? It seems like everyone keeps their bulbs within 1-2 feet, if not inches, of their plants. Is it just incredibly wasteful, ineffective, or both?

3. What is the least hideous way to integrate artificial "grow" lights into everyday decor? Can the bulbs be put into floor lamps? These would be great but they're pretty darn expensive: https://soltechsolutionsllc.com/products

4. What's the difference between full-spectrum lights for plants, and "happy lamps"? Can they cause sunburn?

Thank you all so much!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH