SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Monarch Report mid April

Mary Leek
7 years ago

Here in central Arkansas, I currently have 27 Monarch cats in various stages of growth. I think this is the most I've ever had this early in the season.

I have found eggs or just hatched cats ('tell tale' tiny hole in leaf) on Tropical, A perennis, A texana, Swan, Common and today spotted a tiny cat munching away on the C procera aka Solomons Apple, which surprised me since there are so many other softer mw leaves for mama Monarch to choose from. I haven't yet found signs of use on the C gigantea aka Crown Flower.

Besides Tropical and C gigantea, I've been using the tops of the A perennis as food as I pinch them back. We've had stormy weather and I've yet to get most of these seedlings planted. They are getting lanky so pinching back is serving two purposes. Thank goodness I have the tops to use for food. Was out in the garden last night about midnight, trying to hold up a large umbrella, with flashlight in hand, harvesting mw. Some of the cats are getting so big, they really go through the mw. I had cleaned their enclosures and fed them for the second time yesterday about 6 pm and when I checked on them before going to bed, they were nearly out of food.

I did manage to get the potted tropical into the ground, as well as the C procera. Anxious to see how it does in ground as the little plants have always been potted. I worried about my garden soil not being dry and sandy enough to meet their needs but while reading more about this plant in it's native range, it sounds like it should do well in most soils as long as the soil drains well. In fact, it actually sounds like they do better where they get regular water and nourishment. They can manage under dire conditions but it reads like they will do better if given a more favorable growing environment. They're planted on a slight slope in good garden soil so we shall see. I hope they grow like gangbusters as It looks like I'm going to need a lot of milkweed.

How's everyone else doing?

Mary

Comments (19)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio