SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raja_gupta52

Need help deciding on appliances for a new build kitchen! Sub vs Icon

Raja Gupta
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hey Everyone - I have been reading through threads for the last couple of weeks and have learned so much! Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this knowledge base.

My wife and I are embarking on a new home build and we need to make some decisions on appliances so we can get the kitchen design right and start putting together a solid budget. We want to go with a bit of a "higher end" kitchen, but our budget (~20K) requires us to give a little bit on some appliances. So far this is what we are thinking:

• 36" Wolf range top (no oven) with 4 burners and infrared grill
  • Wolf Steam Oven (considered the Miele for the Auto Chef function, but cleaning seems to be an issue)
  • Bosch/Electrolux single oven to pair with the steam oven
  • Still undecided on hood and dishwasher, but since those sizes and prices are relatively similar across brands, not in as much as a hurry

The one area where we are having a bit of difficulty is with the refrigerator. We went and looked at the SubZeros and really liked the 42/48 side by side options. The downside is that they would blow our budget. The alternative we are considering are the Electrolux All Fridge/Freezer Twins (32"). These are sooo much less expensive, they look great (in pictures), and seem to have features that are similar to what SubZero is touting (separate fridge/freezer compressors, air fliter to keep food fresh, etc).

My question is - is there a reason to splurge for the SubZero? Will we regret getting the Icon Twins? I saw one poster saying the Twins were great, but were definitely not a SubZero, but they stopped short of saying why. Any insight/advice the community has would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)