SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 132 - Where did you find your contractor(s)

beachem
7 years ago

Did you use Craigslist, Angie's List, referrals, Yelp? How did it work out for you? What kind did you get? General vs. subcontractor? Did the quality change with type of contractor?

I had two distinct experience with general contractors vs subcontractors. Some of my subcontractors were from Yelp with high reviews. Some were from personal referrals from neighbors and friends.

My general contractors were all from personal referrals with glowing recommendations. I checked Yelp reviews for all and they were glowing too.

The general contractors all sucked except one. They were all high priced and incompetent. My neighbors were just too clueless to know that. The one that did not sucked came from a referral from a vendor.

I had called a specialized glass company to price Sapphire glass for the shower and asked him who bought a lot as a contractor and was competent. The contractor he gave was a sub and he refer me to his short personal list. The GC that came from that list was fair priced, knowledgeable and able to answer my questions in details without bogus info.

I went through THREE GCs who worked on the kitchen. Two fired and one quit after getting flustered by the inspector. He couldn't handle one question on structural integrity of my tension slab with the 2" wide trench cut by the plumbing company.

This GC worked as a structural engineer for 11 years at a large city before turning GC for 5 years. He came with glowing recommendations including custom building a house. Obviously, the quality of city employees are in question.

I handled that issue myself since the next GC couldn't manage it either. It took 2 minutes by an independent structural engineer and one email. He was flabbergasted that my GC couldn't handle it with his experience. Southern Cal is the land of tension slabs and they deal with it every day.

It turns out in retrospect that people gave GCs great recommendations for never bothering them, assuring them things are fine and they just write the check. The recommendations from subs are because they get a lot of business from them and they know them.

At the end of the day, I still don't know how to find a great GC consistently except by luck or lowering my standards and expectations.

The story is quite different when it comes to subs. I did the same thing as for GCs. I got personal referrals and checked reviews if they exist. All except one didn't have Yelp or any reviews. I went by the answers to my technical questions to make a decision on hiring.

The work was excellent. They showed up on time. They answered my questions with no problems. The ones that did not answer well, I just passed on. I didn't have problems with a single one.

Here's an example of one sub. My neighbor recommended her repiping person. She was a real estate agent and refers him to all her clients as well as using him on her house. He was a one man guy and quoted $25,000 with three weeks of work. He also couldn't answer my technical questions about pros and cons of Pex vs copper.

I went with another company also referred by a different neighbor. Every question was answered in detailed with case studies provided and photos. They charged $15,000, gave a lifetime warranty and dealt with every issues with the inspector when my GCs choked. The only reason that issues came up was because my city changed policies two weeks before the job. The work was done in three days with crews of 5-8 people each day.

So how was your saga with your own contractors?

Comments (14)