SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapinesca

Learning the antique business to make part time living

Anna Cunningham
7 years ago

I am a stay at home mother. Since we live in "Antique Heaven" area, upstate NY where every other store is an antique store, I figured one of the ways for me to dedicate enough time to my kids is do a part time business at home. Buying and selling antiques is an option I like.

I am starting to learn, but have no idea where to start. I read quota posts earlier that said just start learning, which is basically not very helpful.

I want to buy antique items at estate sales and sell them to the next person, at least this is how I envision it.

How do I start and get educated is this are? What areas do I cover? Do I choose a speciality, like for example ceramics, or go for anything I can find would make a profit.

If I see an item at a sale and do not know if it is worth anything, and cannot find much on the internet, how do I get an idea of the value?

Besides estate , rummage and garage sales, we have 2 kinds of antique stores: ones are like thrift antique stores. They sell items cheap and fast,sometimes overprices if the seller thinks they are worth something , but usually not appraised. Another is appraised expensive antique items. Thee question is is it worth looking items in these cheaper antique stores?

And after finding and buying, how do I go about to sell them?

Thank you so much!

Anna

Comments (15)