SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agata_sobocinska

Rooting plumeria cutting - misleading "no watering rule"

Agata Sobocińska
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's my first time rooting plumerias but I find the whole rule of "water once and then not water at all" completely misleading and I wanted to ask you about your opinion on it.

I brought two cuttings with me from Miami, they're not super long but I've seen shorter ones to root so I think they should be ok. Took the cuttings in the beginning of April, used rooting powder on them, put them in the right soil, in a warm area near the window (it's still too cold outside for them where I live) + if it's cloudy I put them under growing lights with my other plants so I make sure they get a good amount of warmth and light every day. They look all good , healthy and firm but nothing's going on so far since it's only 7 days since I potted them. The only thing is - the soil dries up really fast - i didnt water it heavily the first time , the pot wasn't soaking in water like some people like to do when they first pot their cuttings. I just added some water to the soil , mixed it up so its nice and moist (but not wet) all around and then put a cutting into the moistened soil. Now, 7 days later, the soil is completely dry and obviosuly I dont see any leaves yet cause it's too soon. Maybe its my living conditions that cause the soil to dry out faster or I dont know what...but my logic is - shouldn't I water it again a tiny bit just enough to bring the moisture back to the soil? I don't want to dry out the cuttings.

Isn't it common sense that the plant should have some moisture in the ground to be able to drink up all the nutrients it needs to root and grow? ( And I really mean SOME moisture - and by that I mean adding just a little bit of water just enough to bring the moisture back - not so it drains down the whole pot and make the soil wet). Shouldn't I rather go by the rule that once the soil is fully dry (checking deep with my finger) I should go ahead and add a bit of water so it's moist again? no matter if I see new leaves or roots forming? I've seen people killing their plumerias this way.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!