SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

What would you do with this shady nook?

Spring has sprung and things are greening up all around our yard. We moved in in August of last year, so I have never seen the yard in spring and I am constantly being surprised by things popping up. However, this little area on the south side of my backyard doesn't seem to be doing much, and hasn't been attractively landscaped. Here's the spot at 9am today:

Distance shot (taken quite a while ago; this is a realtor photo):

The green sheet behind the trellis is on my neighbor's side of the fence - not sure why he put it up, unless he was just looking for privacy from the former owners (they had a little breakfast table sitting in this area. The trellis is on my side and can easily be removed. There is a rock retaining wall on the left side of the photo and a chain link fence with a large Rose of Sharon growing through it to the right of that hydrangea in the corner. It's about 8' from retaining wall to fence.

Hydrangea in August:

You can see from the first photo that the hydrangea gets some early morning sun, but the rest of this area is pretty heavily shaded all day, and will be even more shaded when all the trees and vines leaf out. My biggest priority is probably to clean up the jumble of rocks a bit and hopefully hide my neighbor's green thing. Is there something I could train up the fence and trellis that would provide evergreen coverage? Or do any of you artists have a more fabulous idea for this area as a whole? Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)