SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaddie

How to add some color and pizzaz please

jaddie
7 years ago

We found a great deal on a Florida style house in the Texas Hill Country. How can I add earth to the exterior, and also asking for suggestions for updating the kitchen a bit. Thank you all.Image

Comments (30)

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sorry for the previous blurred picture

picture of side of house.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How about doing some faux brick or masonry at "all" corners of the home? And, a faux brick over the courtyard cement border fence?

For front courtyard fence.

Then, paint the house in one of these colors to match courtyard fence and go with the roof.

To start I wouldn't do any thing much to the kitchen but remove the backsplash and lighting and then paint. You may have to re-drywall the wall after backsplash removal but the good thing is that the wall will be ready for future decisions. A couple of coats of hardy washable paint will tide you over. You could also just do some inexpensive high hats for lighting until you decide what is in store for the future kitchen. I didn't do it here but paint the plug outlets the same color as wall.

Once everything is neutralized you can think about what you really want to do without wasting time and money.

Or, just add some stainless behind the range panel there for now.

• Related Discussions

How to add some color to my patio?

Q

Comments (7)
    Art on the fence, and I like to hang a couple of pouches of begonias on my fence. I buy them already in bloom, and in the late fall I can just through the whole thing away (actually I throw the begonias in the compost bin, but if I had an apartment I'd just throw them out.) This picture is of geraniums, but similar to mine, but mine fill in better. I had a condo balcony with a railing where I had window boxes, but the problem was what to do with the plants, and the boxes, in the off season. And planting them was kind of messy. In our last house I put a wire trough on the cedar shed. After a season of the plants during out and dying, I put artificial flowers and vines in...perfect solution! I put in fake poinsettias in December. Add some solar lights if it gets any light, or Battery-powered LED candles.
    ...See More

How do I add some character to the front of home?

Q

Comments (7)
    I agree the Victorian style door should be replace with a more traditional one. A bright yellow would bring attention to it as the main door. Leave others white. I would move the Japanese Maples out into the yard and create an island planting to enjoy from the porches. Include perennials, annuals and evergreens. I think developing a lush garden is really going to set this charming house off. Good luck!
    ...See More

Ideas and suggestions how to add some charm?

Q

Comments (14)
    IMO nothing says charm like a white picket fence and an arbor. How about an arbor with climbing roses over the side sidewalk, with a stretch of white picket fence to the boundary? You could plant along the fence as well. What a beautiful tree you already have in front! That's a great start! :) Dee
    ...See More

i need to add some accessories to add life to this room

Q

Comments (9)
    Honestly if this is a high traffic area I would stay with a patterned rug and avoid all cream, I think you just need to go a little larger. If you like your "this is us" art I would hang it lower and one the smaller wall across from the tv. I also have a dark brown leather sectional. Try a throw blanket in the corner, pillows in the corner and on both ends. Wait on those until you get your rug.. can you actually use the recliner as it is now? If you are inclined I would paint this room all one color. I would look at getting a floor lamp, new end table, possibly some light shears on the windows, and once the rug and pillows are in a pair of pictures for the long wall. Can you post a picture of the other side of the room? I think the cream carpet kinda washes out the room.
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

The first thing I noticed in the kitchen is that the cabinets have no knobs. I'd start by picking out some pretty knobs in a finish you like - it looks like the existing finish of the faucets and lighting is dark (oil-rubbed bronze?) so you could go with that if you like it. And paint. Is your kitchen open to other areas such as an eating area or great room?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

a) flowers, plants, decorative big urns..consult a landscaper maybe to know what to go with that will have staying power in your climate. I quite like this gated entry. It will be easy to warm it up.

b) it's a nice kitchen, but the current cranberry color paint doesn't do it any justice. Too cold a red. Do you want a quiet look or a more dynamic one? If quiet is your preference I'd look for creams and tans. If you like contrast -softer blue greens might work. Certain yellows might look good too.

If you don't love the current pendants you can switch them. Lights can enliven a room like few things can.

jaddie thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Sorry I don't know why "entry" became a link, and can't figure out how to re-type it.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS agree with everything but the brick..I think it'll be too much. The house looks good without it.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think the beauty of your home is the simplicity of the materials and colors (exterior). I think what will make it spectacular is the landscape and bringing in color and texture with plants. The first thing I would do is plant flower boxes on the balcony with a riot of color, plants hanging down, etc.

If deer aren't a problem, I would espallier plants all along the wall - Ingrid's roses idea would be great, but they are deer candy.

And I agree that your kitchen is very nice, but for the red paint, so I'd repaint that in a more neutral color.

• User
    7 years ago

Adding to Ingrid & Aprilneverend's ideas: In addition to the roses from the wonderful Antique Rose Emporium consider planting for wildlife - the hill country is alive with birds and butterflies. Wasowski & Wasowski's books from around 2003 are excellent resources. Do spend time in the Linda Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and also visit the herb gardens at the Round Top Festival Institute. I know this is not what you asked but I look at the picture and see so many possibilities. Wishing you much enjoyment of your new home.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Ingrid, you have one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen!!!

jaddie thanked just_terrilynn
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Kitchen desperately needs pulls and knobs. Tone down the paint color. You could have just the tile backsplash behind the range removed and put in a mural type tile or a decorative pattern tile in a coordinating color. To me the all wood hood is a lot of wood I might consider painting the upper part of it or something besides all of the same wood.

Really beautiful home! Remember for planting this is Texas! Plant accordingly. Go with good quality plantings known to survive well in the environment.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Raven, painting just the upper cabinets and leaving the bottom wood is one of my absolute favorite looks. I know some people do not care for it but to me it is also practical. Anyone who had or has kids and big dogs will know what I mean.

I gave it a try. The top near ceiling is painted a color close to the uppers to distract from the fact that they don't go all the way to ceiling. The same color is used for all the kitchen walls ( or one shade lighter or one shade darker) to prevent a choppy look and keep it open and airy. I couldn't find a backsplash I liked so I just framed in a piece of Jurassic Black granite with those cool fossils. I used gray tile for the framing surround and a simple subway for the rest. Oh, and skinny modern black handles for the doors and black knobs for the rest. I think the subway would look better with some color variation like maybe a glazed or fireclay subway.

White Fireclay subway...yum!

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What a gift of vision yall have! I like all of the suggestions. Some of the drawers in the kitchen are so wide, do pulls come wide enough to look right and function well? The kitchen opens up into the family room. The floors are stained concrete. Eventually, I would like a more comfortable floor. I have not seen cabinets painted like that, but I like the idea. Those two rooms are dark so that would brighten up the black counters. Thank you all.

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This light is over the table in the breakfast area. Can anyone suggest pendants that work with it. Ingrid, your garden looks like a beautiful dream. I have a budget of 5k for the kitchen. I like it now, but feel that I found love bit with some changes. Not sure what. I visited a kitchen store but she indicated that budget is too small for any changes.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Jaddie, it's a small budget but you could still change the backsplash and do some painting. My example above of course can be modified to your personal taste and color preference. Does that chandelier work with your style and furniture? Also, what color is the stained concrete?

I have not seen cabinets painted like that, but I like the idea. Those two rooms are dark so that would brighten up the black counters.

It's a fairly common thing these days, although most do white painted uppers (I like that as well). You will see it in all styles. For me personally, I prefer a light taupe and not a true gray.

This one is two tone with just a wood island.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

that's a bit expensive..and I don't know your ceiling height and kitchen dimensions..but do you like something like this one, as an idea?

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/alcazar-pendant?category=lighting-pendants-chandeliers&color=028

Frankly I wouldn't paint cabinets and change backsplash at this point..I'd paint the walls, look into lights, hardware..it can totally work and be a very nice kitchen, without major changes.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS that's an off topic but you saying Ingrid's garden looks like a dream, reminded me. Ingrid, when I was a girl, I wrote a poem about a house..a magical house where I'd live one day..it didn't remind the houses that I knew, at all. I don't even know where I got this idea then. It looked like yours, with garden and roses all around it. I totally forgot..and now I suddenly remembered it.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Outside, I would plant native plants for color. The Lady Bird Wildflower Center has great display gardens, and a local nursery can give you advice. I recommend preparing the beds now and planting in the fall. Unless you have a tall fence, deer will be a challenge in the Hill Country, and they love roses.

jaddie thanked texanjana
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

April I was actually doing a same sort of search. If the kitchen is open to the living area the OP would really be cornering herself in to a certain style with her nook chandelier. If she goes with something glass she is open to other styles in the rest of the house.

Nook

Pendant

plain glass

• rmsaustin
    7 years ago

I agree with another poster -- I think pulls/knobs would be a great addition. Don't know how close you are to Austin, but there is a company here PPOC (push, pull, open, close) that will bring drawer and knob samples to you -- Jonathan, the owner has a great eye for what will work and the process (selecting pulls and knobs for my entire house) was one of the best experiences of my entire build.

Given your budget, I would probably not try to redo the backsplash - particularly if there is more backsplash in the part of the kitchen not shown (looks like you might have more cabinets/counters to the right in the photo?) You could probably hang something (tile or metal) behind the cooktop to add some interest there. I'd also consider painting the walls and changing out the outlet covers to something that does not jump out so much. I think you could soften the black counters by adding some accessories to the counters to break it up a bit.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

You can get pulls in all sizes. I went with all matte black pulls and knobs in various sizes depending on the drawer size. I have all drawers lowers.

jaddie thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • jaddie thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

The wood in those cabinets is beautiful - it would be a shame to paint them. I really think with pulls and a different wall color that it can be a very pretty kitchen.

Also, if you don't care for the look of larger handles, you can put two on larger drawers:

jaddie thanked Olychick
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

My goodness ingrid - your garden is amazing!!!!

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am learning so much. Never have changed pulls but with these pictures, I can visualize how much new pulls would enhance the cabinets. Ok, my main focus will be paint, pulls and lighting. I am looking at a paint by the company Benjamin Moore called Muslin. Please keep sending suggestions for lighting to go with the Middlefield light over table. Right now, there are two over that small island, and 3 smaller matching ones over the counter that holds the sink. Is it proper to have all match, as they do now? I believe some variance might be nice. The Middlefield is made by Fredrick Ramond.

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the furniture from a picture of our old house. Is this hopeless with the style of the light over the kitchen table? BTW, I love the rose bushes idea and could put them behind the safety of the gate in the front courtyard. I will ask at the garden center what they advisee to put in front of the concrete wall because we have a nightly herd of deer out front. It's so much fun. And I know, it's wonderful to have those kinds of beautiful, happy dreams. I have never gardened much but can see how great it might be. The house can be beautiful. It's a little cold looking now, and I havent hot much talent in decor, but I think it could be warmer and more inviting. I would like to have a welcoming home.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Is this the furniture you are using in your new house?
    That would be helpful to know.

Also, can you post a picture of the living/family room in your new home?

• jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I am using the coffee table, sofa and chair. The floors are stained medium brown concrete. I'm actually in Missoula Montana at this moment helping my daughter by babysitting the best baby girl ever. She is sleeping. But I can't put up more pictures until I get home after Easter. Thank you. I'm a lot better Grandma than decorator, and to be honest it has not been my priority. But I see the impact in friends homes. A comfy, warm decor makes everyone feel good.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

As far as lighting, I wouldn't try to match your chandelier - I think you have enough wood in the kitchen, so I'd probably look for some fixtures that have some of the same metal as in the chandelier and choose that same finish for the cabinet pulls. Since there are 5 hanging fixtures in the kitchen, I would probably look into changing either the set of 2 or the set of 3 into can lights (I think it's pretty inexpensive to do). Which set would depend on the space, so when you get home, maybe post more pics of the kitchen and in relation to where the chandelier will hang.

jaddie thanked Olychick
  • jaddie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That makes perfect logic. I do like the idea of disappearing some of the hanging lights. They look somewhat overpowering to me as far as sheer nuMyers of overhanging lights. Thank you very much.