SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Need Austin Area Trip Advice, Please

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have a wedding to attend in Austin, TX, in early June. DH has given his staff the following week off with pay, so we're now looking for something to do in that general area for the week. At first I wanted to head to Augusta, GA, to visit DS & DIL, but the heat and humidity at that time of year puts me off. We'll wait until Fall for that trip! Still, I'm concerned about how hot and humid it'll be in Texas then! We'll be flying down and will rent a car. We're considering driving down to San Antonio to visit DH's sister. We've vacationed in SA before and loved it, but am not sure I want to spend another week there . . . especially since I love my SIL, but her DH is a jerk (a college professor, but a true jerk). Ugh!

Questions:

1) Am I going to just hate myself for choosing to vacation in Texas in June? (SIGH, I didn't choose this week of vacation, DH did!)

2) Fun things to do and see in Austin?

3) Anything in the outlying areas? DH mentioned possibly heading to a nice resort in the area, but I don't know of any offhand . . . and we're just going to be at a beautiful resort in Tucson (La Paloma) later this month. And Oklahoma in mid-May. And in Colorado in late-May.

4) How about along the coast? We've been to Houston and have rented a condo on the Gulf in Galveston a few years ago over DD's Spring break. Don't want to do those again this trip, though.

5) Texas Hill Country? We're at the stage in our lives where we do NOT want to buy more stuff for our home. No art, no furniture, no antiques. Is it worth touring around there if we're not into shopping, or even browsing?

6) Oh, and did I mention I don't like to be hot? So, no desert-y destinations. I also don't want to camp or hike this trip. And, I'm also very paranoid about Mexican border towns, so those would be a big "no" for me.

I hope that I don't sound too whiney or grumpy. I'm obviously not excited about anorher trip that close to the others. But, DH is, although he's very busy with his clinic now, and is leaving this trip planning all to me. OK, he did veto my original plan to jump on a plane after the wedding and head to Maine to visit Tibbie. That's too far for this trip, he says.

Many thanks for any and all suggestions!

Comments (21)