SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkdamico37

Thermador Range question

mkdamico37
7 years ago

Has anyone had the experience that with a Thermador range installed against a marble tile wall, the marble changed color and gets extremely hot to the touch? I ran my new oven at 500degrees as instructed for 2 hours, but after one hour had to shut it off because the marble on the wall was changing color. I've contacted Thermador, but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion?

Comments (98)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

A range with a straight-up vent and no backguard is always going to heat up the wall. Sure, the range is handsome, but it’s a case of “good looks over good function”. A three-dimensional tile installation is even more directly over the vent....it will not only get hot, but it will get occasional spatter, too.
    A good exhaust vent may help with the heat issue, but keep your cleaning sponge handy if you use the back burners.

• PRO
    Caroline Myers Interior Design
    4 years ago

While the PA36WLBG vent actually aesthetically looks better than the PA36JLBG, I am not confident it will work because it still vents straight up - rather than away from the wall. I've asked my salesman if he knows anything about this. Waiting to hear back....

I am also having my contractor explore creating something like this shield -

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/my-dirty-secret-or-how-i-learned-to-live-with-a-marble-backsplash/

Mark Morgan - what kind of backsplash do you have? I too bought my range in 2016..... this is has been beyond frustrating. In addition to the heat stain, I also have grease that drips down from my thermador hood vent staining my backsplash. And yes, we do clean our hood vent.

• Related Discussions

Thermador Dual Fuel Range(s)

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone have this range (or similar)? Likes, dislikes? Pros, cons? Model: PRD486GDHU 48 inch Professional Series Pro Harmony Standard Depth Dual Fuel Range PRD486GDHU Does anyone have the Pro Grand or Pro Grand Steam range? I've never wanted a warming drawer and doubt we would use the steam oven feature often, so doubt I would get either but comments are welcome. I've always hated the way our current dual fuel range (GE Monogram) sticks out further than the cabinets and would love the Harmony since it's counter depth. Will continue with 6 burners and a griddle. Need the large and small ovens, so smaller not an option. (I do not want wall oven(s).) This is for possible new lakehouse (LP gas). Thanks in advance for your comments.Allison
    ...See More

Thermador Commercial Depth Ranges

Q

Comments (5)
    Our ranges are also deeper than standard, and as Joe is showing, we recommend that the cabinetry does not go past the oven door seal. The oven door and handles stick out, but I haven't heard any complaints on that aspect. Most of our customers either go with a full run of 26-27" deep cabinets where the range is, or include a nice design feature (like a post) on either side to bring out the countertop and compensate for the extra depth. One example here , from a recent installation. This customer chose a full-width drawer on either side, that "reduces" back to standard depth after that. If you opt for deeper cabinets and need to replace the range with a "regular depth" unit, you could simply add a strip of countertop or SS behind the new range to bring it out. Good luck!
    ...See More

Thermador vs. Monogram 36" Gas Range - 2019 edition

Q

Comments (7)
    The griddle is nice. The surface area is a lot larger than any fry pan so it is easy to cook 4 burgers at once, 3/4 filet of salmon, etc. Then again, it's not nearly as large as the flat top grill I have outside. I'd say it performs admirably for what it is. There are hot/cold spots though. The burner underneath it is in the shape of a U. I use a noncontact temperature gun to know when it has preheated to my liking, which is somewhere around 5-10 minutes. Cleanup isn't bad. After you are done, just drizzle some water and use a spatula to remove food residue. After a few times, wipe the surface with a paper towel and coat with oil. It's not as non-stick as seasoned cast iron though. The neighboring burners do require wiping down from grease splatter. I think I would prefer a removable cast iron griddle that goes over the burners--but only if it fit perfectly. Some ranges have one as a custom accessory and not some universal griddle.
    ...See More

GE Monogram vs. Thermador vs. GE Cafe 30" All Gas Range

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a Bosch dual fuel range (slide in) that is about 1" away from the wall/backsplash. I have never noticed it sticking out until I read this and then went to look, lol. It does, but if I've never noticed it, it doesn't bother me. The range itself is about 2 1/2" out from the base cabinetry. But I know what you mean if you want the 24" deep Thermador look. Personally, I would invest in an integrated refrigerator, using money saved from the Thermador and/or GE. The refrigerator is a much larger appliance and it's "sticking out" is more obvious than the counter height range. ("Counter depth" refrigerators also stick out; only fully integrated are flush.) I have 18" between the range and the next full height bank of cabinetry which includes a flush Thermador microwave/convection oven. The cabinetry sticks out 1" from the countertop and 2" from the 18" base cabinet farther than it should, a custom construction error I don't want to talk about. But that would be about the same as the space between your refrigerator and range if both "stick out." That 18" is good enough for my small Keurig and that's about it. It also has wall cabinetry above it because I used a hidden Zephry Pisa undercabinet range hood, so I don't have the "open" look you'll get from your range hood. That 18" of usable space is the same, however. We don't cook much at all (I hate it). I've had a Thermador dual fuel range and now this Bosch. Years ago, when I did have to cook, I had GE Monogram wall ovens and glass cooktop. Other than much preferring the gas, I can't think of major differences between all of them, or being unhappy with any of them.
    ...See More
  • Greg Nieglos
    4 years ago

Caroline Myers, I have seen you posting in another thread on this issue as well. Did you ever install a backguard yet or no? I agree the WLBG would look more aesthetically pleasing but I have some grease splatter higher up than what that would cover and the JLBG would serve both heat and splatter protection purposes...

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi,

I have not installed my backguard yet (still trying to get a quote on having on fabricated). But honestly, oil/food/cooking splatters don't concern me as I have not had any issues with that sort of staining. I have marble countertops and a marble backsplash and have had zero issues with staining - I should note too that mine is a HEAVY use kitchen as I cook all the time and we drink coffee, red wine, etc. Etching is a whole different issue and yes, the counters do etch. I do have them nicely sealed which is what is preventing the staining. But the heat stain from the island trim/range is a whole different kind of issue. I personally would rather wipe off splatter stains from marble vs. a stainless steel piece because keeping that stainless steal piece looking streak free sounds like a nightmare. Anyways, this is why I prefer to go the more minimal custom backguard route vs a larger stainless steel piece. Also, the hood itself has created another issue entirely - so far I seem to be the only one having this issue - and because of that I am replacing my hood and most likely my backsplash. Anyways, I'll update once I've made some of these replacements but it has been very helpful hearing the issues that other people have had.

• anitar143
    4 years ago

hi All, any update on how you solved the problem?

In my kitchen I have 3" backsplash running along the counter, even behind the range opening. And then on top of the 3" backsplash is ceramic tiles to the ceiling. I wonder if the granite backsplash can take the heat OR if I should consider using the backguard?

Is 9" backguard the only option?

I don't think the range will sit 100% flush with the wall given the backsplash.. but it is how this kitchen is designed.

Would a dual fuel range solve/minimize the heating?

My options are 36" pro grand commercial depth all gas OR dual fuel. Thanks for your comments.

• Mark Morgan
    4 years ago

I gave up on purchasing the new Thermador back-guard since it vents vertical. Went to home depot bought a precut 12x8 polished alum sheet. Bent 45 deg in home made sheet metal brake and pop riveted on the back of stove....issue solved for 5 bucks. Thermador was of no help on the issue.

• anitar143
    4 years ago

hi Mark, Can you send me a picture please? I ordered Pro Grand 36" yesterday.. in case it heats up too much I might have to do the same.

Is it riveted permanently or removable?

• Mark Morgan
    4 years ago

Newer model of pro grand maybe different..better?? Pop rivets are perm, but can easily be drilled out, if needed.

• ryaninns
    4 years ago

We just installed a 30” thermador all gas oven and knew about the heat issue beforehand. Bought the backguard but couldn’t install it because the island trim was riveted on and the fastener hole pattern on the back of the range didn’t align with the backguard holes. Have only used the oven a couple times but we are seeing condensation inside the oven and then eventually on the backsplash. Super annoying. Will probably install the angle to deflect the heat and divert the condensation.

• mkdamico37
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, I started this thread with my issue a few years ago. This is a copy of my comment from 2 years ago......Many people have the same or similar marble tiles. "Since last year, I have invested $199 in a Magic Hood from Ravena

and I use it when I fire up the oven, turn on the hood vent and have no issues. I take it away and fold it up and put it in my hall closet when done. Not ideal, but was a cheap fix, and I didn't have to take down my beautiful marble tile or replace my oven. In all honesty, I leave it up for a long time before I actually notice it and put it away. I have not tried to use the oven cleaning setting yet, though. I'm too scared my house will burn down."

I hope this may help some of you with your issue. Thermador and the appliance store where I purchased the oven were of no use, one stating I installed it improperly, and the other stating that they sell it that way all of the time and it was installed correctly. So I gave up and bought the hood cover as listed above. It keeps the heat off of the wall and keeps the wall clean. win/win

• mkdamico37
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • browndo2
    4 years ago

I have the 36 dual fuel pro grand PRD364NLGU/06 . I get some heat out of the island trim in the center but should there be air blowing there? I can look down in the island trim and see the blowers on each side but they are sucking air down, across the top of the oven and then out the front of the range so that is where most of the heat goes. Is this right or is something backwards?

• Matt R
    4 years ago

the heat from the center is from the oven and I think it's normal for both gas only and dual fuel models. The two fans on either side suck air in and blow it throw the middle across the electronics to keep them at a lower temp. As i understand it, your dual fuel oven should blow out air as hot as the gas ovens (the air comes out of my gas oven is at oven temperature, my walls have gotten to over 250dgrees). I've since added the tin foil air director temporarily (a year ago ) shown in a post above but will "upgrade" to something simlar to mark morgan or try to make a delfector cap to put on the flue itself like the newer models. It has worked remarkably well to just deflect the air forward a bit with tin foil. The newest Pro Grand models have a heat deflector on the flue under the island trim (like every other brand) whereas the models made before 2019 did not.

Picture from pro grand at best buy last week. Heat deflector is angled metal under the island trim.

• Matt R
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm back. I gave up on trying to make a custom solution and just bought the damn PA36JLBG backguard. Good news is since the its discontinued retailers are trying to get rid of it so I didn't pay the ridiculous $552 Thermador wanted through their website (they apparently have them back in stock) While I would have definitely preferred to keep the island trim, the backguard kind of gives it a more industrial look, definitely keeps grease/sauce off the marble back splash and also protects the wall from when you have a big flame going on the back burners. They still have a few of them at Albano Appliance in Westchester, NY (I picked it up but they will ship it). its basically has a sheet of insulation inside it that shields the wall and an internal curved metal piece to guide the air out. It was easy enough to take off the island trim. I probably could have created that heat deflector and fit it to the chimney like in the newer version of this range shown in my last post to solve the problem so if anyone is still experiencing this problem and doesn't want to buy the back guard I recommend that or Mark's solution. I included a picture of the oven with the guard off so you can see what you'd be getting yourself into.

good luck

• Michele Stiles
    3 years ago

Matt - I’m looking for the island trim you just removed for an actual island installation. Do you still have it?

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hi Michele, yes I still have it

• HU-434382
    3 years ago

Hi, Matt R. When investigating the Wolf island trim and/or risers, do you recall seeing any deflectors for directing the hot air forward like you mentioned regarding the Thermador? Coming across this discussion has been very timely and helpful for me. Much appreciated!

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hi I checked back through my pictures and don’t see the deflector. However, at the Subzero/Wolf showroom we ran the wolf 36 gas range to 500 degrees for about 45min and the wall didn’t get higher than 107 degrees. I recommend finding a showroom that can actually run the appliance for you. My thermador 36 gas range/oven also has very loud cooling fans than run over 350degrees and stay on for quite a while after cooking which I would have preferred to know before purchasing. The wolf either doesn’t have/need these fans or they are ultra quiet. Good luck!

• HU-434382
    3 years ago

Great info, Matt! Very, very helpful. For clarity...Was the Wolf gas range you tested in the showroom an all gas (gas range + gas oven) or was it duel fuel with an electric oven? I'm purchasing the 36" all gas. Kind Regards.

P.S. - I definitely will heed your advice for asking my showroom rep to run that test for me. I had no idea they do that sort of thing. Maybe he/she can show what's inside the Wolf riser, as well.

• PRO
    3 years ago

We ended up ripping out our marble backsplash and replacing it with a zellige tile. The tile is holding up fantastically with the 48" all gas range range - it takes on regular 500d oven temps for long period of times. If you are considering Thermador with an island trim, do NOT install natural stone or quartz behind it. And yes, my Thermador has very loud cooling fans.

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hi HU-43482, we specifically tested a wolf range with gas oven (not dual fuel with electric oven) to compare it directly to my gas oven thermador. I have heard that the dual fuel thermadors with electric oven, even the last generation, do not heat the wall but never confirmed myself since the dual fuel was out of my budget.👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• HU-434382
    3 years ago

Matt R. - Perfect! Again, thank you for the excellent information and willingness to help. I definitely now am much better informed and know how to get solid answers from the showroom rep. Thank you! Thank you!

• bjdaniels
    3 years ago

MattR

I have been offered the 7" back trim free from thermador rep. My question for you is does the new trim keep the back wall from heating up when you run your gas oven at high temp over a couple hours?

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hi bjdaniels,

Kudos to you for getting them to give it to you for free! I hassled them for months to no avail and had to buy it. I've run the oven at 525 for about an hour and 20minutes and it looks like the wall temp has evened out at 135 at the lowest point behind the back guard that I can measure. I think this is acceptable compared to the >200F temps I was getting to before. Note the backgaurd itself on the top and the front is reaching 140-180F so don't touch it or plan to put anything on top of it.

Also note, the backguard I bought has vent holes in the back that don't line up with the cooling fans. I've reached out to Thermador about this and they said its not right and that they will send me the correct one. However, I'm not very confident that I will will be any different based on my prior experiences with their customer support. I'll update when I get it . The screws did all line up besides the ones to fasten the back guard to the fan assembly.

• bjdaniels
    3 years ago

MattR

Thanks for this information! I've debated trying to sell this gas range and purchase the Thermador dual fuel??? I had one in a previous house and don't recall heat exhaust from the electric oven making the room temp hotter or causing these wall problems. We lived in hot and steamy Houston at that time and I think I would have noticed those issues. I was trying to save some money but regret it now. I'm a little afraid to spend the money on the dual fuel for fear of having issues!

• Matt R
    3 years ago

I’d find a show room that can run it to confirm. However, a neighbor has the 48in dual fuel and he said it doesn’t heat the wall. I think the exhaust from the gas oven is the main culprit whereas with the electric there is really nothing to exhaust. I wish I would have just gone wolf gas which also doesn’t have the problem. I too stayed away from the dual fuel because it was like 11k vs 7500 when I was pricing them out. Now I gladly would have paid the 3500 not to have to deal with any of this lol.

• bjdaniels
    3 years ago

Matt R

Checking back with you to see how the vented back trim is holding up and whether Thermador replaced it with one that lines up correctly with vents. I have to make a decision by the end of the week to either purchase a dual fuel at about $2000 less than market value or install the free 7" back trim they agreed to send. Unfortunately I couldn't find any showroom near me that had the Pro 36" dual fuel hooked up to power to check if it caused any back wall heat. The price for the dual fuel is less that I paid for the original gas Thermador but still not cheap (especially when I don't know for certain it won't heat the back wall). I'm leaning toward just getting the back trim though I don't love the look and hoping that'll fix the problem. Thanks for any suggestions/info you have!

• Liv Pic
    3 years ago

About the back trim, You’re lucky that they offered it to you for free I had to purchased it. seems to be fine, back wall doesn’t heat up. Although what I find is happening now is that the stainless steel of back trim is changing colour when back burners are used. So another problem:(
    Hope this helps...

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hi BJDaniels,

Note: Houzz is not uploading my posts with pictures right now. I'll try again later.

I just installed it yesterday and the openings do line up now. On the previous one, it looks like the holes were either cut in the wrong place somehow or maybe theres another revision of the oven that has the blowers in different places. The screws that came with the new backguard are also slightly different. (I used the new screws because they had longer thread). Seems to be better flow coming out of the front of the oven now that the fans aren't partially blocked. Unfortunately the new backguard they sent doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the one I bought. The cuts in the sheetmetal bulge slightly at the relief cuts which causes the light to bend and makes it look cheap. The one I purchased myself didn't have this issue. Pic below. I pulled the installation instructions for the 36inch dual fuel and is still shows required 6inch min clearance to combustible materials without the backguard (except for the 60inch version of the range, not sure why)

https://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/8001174102_A.pdf

https://www.thermador.com/us/products-list/ranges/36-ranges/PRD366WGU#/Tabs=tab-5608894/

However, the backguard on the new model does not look at terrible as the last generation (the one I own).

I had never looked at the installation instructions before, but Wolf also recommends minimum 20inch back guard for gas ranges and 10inch for dual fuel.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/-/media/files/united-states/product-downloads/sub-zero-wolf/design-guides/wolf-design-guide.pdf

I think it comes down to what is considered "combustible material". I have marble over sheetrock over wood studs which I believe is considered combustible. I don't know what is actually considered "non combustible". Maybe porcelain tile, over heat resistant cement board on steel studs.

It seems like it is never recommended to use the island trim against a wall regardless of what is shown in literally every magazine and marketing material.

As for me, i'm sticking with the backguard and enjoying that it protects the marble wall from heat, damage from pots and pans and splatters and will accept the scratching and discoloration of the back guard as a badge of honor that we cook a lot :)

• Alison Weikel
    3 years ago

Hi- I am about to have a Thermador 30" Pro Harmony gas range delivered and I wish I had seen this thread while I was researching and purchasing. Will I have the same issue? I did not purchase the 7" backguard yet, but I am wondering if I should.

• Matt R
    3 years ago

Hey Alison, I would download the installations instructions and check what they recommend. I wish I had done that for all of my appliance prior to purchases

• browndo2
    3 years ago

I put a lot of research I to this last year with my 36 dual fuel pro. I have cement board behind the tile. When I Put the range in and fired it up I was waiting to see how much heat went up the wall before I tiled. to my surprise very little heat went up the wall. Fans pull heat down and blow it out the front of the range above the door. So little heat went up the wall that I was even able to install a small granite shelf with no worries about heat. Hope this helps.

• Maren Daley
    3 years ago

I am installing a 36” Thermador Dual Fuel range in an island. I would appreciate any tips/recommendations from the experience of this group. I’m hope the island trim will be adequate without need for a vertical heat guard. I will have Cambria counter tops. Is there any way to clean the vents at the back of the range? I envision kids sitting at the island dropping or stuffing small items down the vent openings. I made the decision to put the range in the 11’ island because the view is great and I don’t want to face a wall while cooking.

• Fletcher Irwin
    3 years ago

I am also curious. I just bought a used 36 inch thermador pro duel fuel it comes with a 9inch backer vent on the back of the range. All the photos I looked at, it looks like everyone is getting theirs with island trim, which you cant even buy, but then having issues with it, but it looks much better! I like the look without the backer guard and vent. Even if it was cut down to a couple inches instead of the nine. I thought everyone was just taking them off. I guess i just live with it?

• sandra E
    last year

anyone have any updates on this? almost purchased a 36in all gas with quartz backsplash, not knowing anything about any of this. is it still a problem? are there other ovens that wouldnt be a problem?

• browndo2
    last year

I put this in 2 years ago and watched how much heat was coming up before tiling. There was so little heat that I felt comfortable adding a little spice shelf. This seems like more of an air intake that then blows out the front. I am not saying there’s no heat coming out of the back fence but it’s so minimal but if you just use normal cement backer board over tile I wouldn’t think you would have a problem

• anitar143
    last year

Hi, i have mine for over 3 years.. tiles are okay and no heat issues.

recently i have a few ither issues though.. 1. the knobs on the front after turning off syarts clicking until i turn them back on and off again.

2. the oven door hook is stuck so i have to pull to ghe right to close and open..

• sandra E
    last year

Is this duel fuel? so far everyone ive spoken to in irl has no issues but everyone has a duel fuel range. I havent heard from anyone with an all gas oven

• Matt R
    last year

I think this is related to gas oven only. A neighbor has the dual fuel and I agree that it doesn’t get hot at the wall with the island trim. I caved and bought the riser. I really didn’t like the way it looked but I’m getting used to it. And added benefit is that it protects the marble backsplash from oil/sauce splatter (I made a couple of mistakes in this kitchen design 😅. Never again with marble anywhere in the kitchen, esoecially the back splash.). I’ve been cranking out pizzas regularly over the past two years with it on 525 for hours and the wall temp is fine.

@anitar

1. this happened to me also. I got the igniter and knob assembly replaced/installed under warranty. Now two others are doing it and I need to call the retailer I got the extended warranty from. I don’t know if it has anything to do with it, but the new knob felt firmer and less wobbly.

My biggest complaint about this thing now is how loud it is when the oven fan turns on 🛫✈️🛩😂

Next time I’ll need to demo the ranges somewhere before buying

• sandra E
    last year

if you were buying now what would you purchase?

• Liv Pic
    last year

Hi Matt
    I’m in the same boat as you, I have/had same issues with my All gaz range/ my quartz backsplash discoloured and had to purchase the attached backsplash(don’t like it) but at this point have no choice.
    When you say ignitor replaced? I’m having issues with that now. When I turn my knob off sometimes the ignitor sparks until I turn on/off again? Is that the same thing?

@ Sandra if I may answer to your last question.
    No I wouldn’t.
    It’s really too bad because the preformance and results of oven are great but the problems are outweighed.

• sandra E
    last year

Thought this might be good fix build out counter behind. now im concerned about the noisy fan im reading about…

• Liv Pic
    last year

That’s a great idea! As per noisy fan.. it doesn’t bother me so much. I have a second oven in my island(Fulgor) and it makes the same noise.

• Matt R
    last year

Hi Liv, Yes that is the same thing that happens to me. It keeps clicking until i jiggle the knob or turn it off and turn it back on. They replaced the knob and i BELIEVE they replaced some ignitor control under the burner. They did have the whole black drip try removed and was doing something under it.

Hi Sandra, I would get a different brand. Not sure if that would be Wolf, GE Cafe or something else. Some of the newer models of different brands even have air fry features. I'd try to see it in action at a show room if you can or a friends place. The Wolf/Subzero/Cove Showroom near me was able to turn it on for me and even does cooking demos on the appliances.

• felizlady
    last year

We have seen this issue multiple times on HOUZZ. Heat comes up from the vent next to the wall….directly toward the marble tile, which is not heat-proof.

• sandra E
    last year

@Matt R thanks

decided to go with ge monogram. doesnt solve the heat issue but maybe the noise. negative is its a little deeper but on plus side it has steam clean

• sandra E
    last year

now i see people complaining monogram also makes noise so i have a feeling its across the board with these larger ovens 🙈

• Danielle Hofing
    last year

So bummed I did not read this string before we had 48" range installed with quartz behind. Now have huge discoloration spot and a large crack in quartz that expands when oven vents. Heart broken as our remodel took years and impacted by pandemic. sandra E wish I had seen that build out option prior...we already built out the cabinets deeper for commercial depth range, another inch may have solved the problem. So decision still pending to replace backsplash, install deflector (discolored 9"x9"), etc.

• Denise Hiller
    last year

@Caroline Myers Interior Design How has your Zellige tile held up over the past two years? We just installed a Thermadore 30" Pro and will be using 2x6 Zellige tile directly behind our gas range. Wondering if I should purchase a backplate (ugggg) to protect it if absolutely necessary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Rob
    2 months ago

For those with stains/cracking. Is your Thermador all gas or dual fuel?