SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

May I gripe, please?

Annie Deighnaugh
7 years ago

As of this Saturday, I will have been sick an entire month. I am so sick of being sick. Hoarse, sore throat, swelling and pain in the back of the throat and coughing, coughing, coughing. And general feeling like sheet. I went to the doc and a round of amox. seemed to help with the swelling and throat pain as well as gave me a rash. Two days after I finished the amox. the throat pain and swelling is coming back. I see the doc again tomorrow. I'm afraid I'm into another round of antibios...which I hate.

I'm supposed to get together with a friend for dinner, but she's been ill with similar symptoms for awhile now too.

And I think I picked this up from visiting a friend in boston to help her with her kitchen...she was on antibios for a sinus infection and her husband had bronchitis! Both were ill for weeks.

Any one else who can commiserate with me? Any long-term bug sufferers out there?

Comments (65)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks mayflowers, but I'm sure that's not it....I'm really feeling ill. And the onset was sudden and the antibios did have a significant effect.

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

I had bronchitis twice in my life, both lasting well over two months. Seemed like forever. Hacking deep cough, little sleep, general miserable feeling. I lost my voice completely for awhile. I lost weight because the throat pain was so bad when eating. The best I could do was rest a whole lot, take Tylenol, and gargle with warm salt water. I lived on those throat sprays that temporarily numb the soreness. Hope you get better soon; no doubt you will turn a corner any time.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Rudebekia
  • Related Discussions

Griping and complaining

Q

Comments (5)
    What's with the wind this year. I need to mow under the oaks in the backyard, but they still have dead branches from last year's ice storm and when it's windy those big widowmakers swing back and forth and every once in a while one comes down. Got up to 72 today, first warmer day since the end of April, not counting the windchill. The tree companies are quit willing to cut down the oaks, but don't want to trim out the dead wood. It's windy the rest of the week too and storms tonight. Leone, I am glad that George is back from the hospital. Wished I could give him some of my blood pressure. 10 points from me could get me where I belong. Enjoy your retirement. I assume that your's will be pretty busy. I always say I should get back to work, so I get more rest. For sure can't figure out how one could get bored when retired.
    ...See More

Chamber Bitter / Gripe Weed - You got it? I need it.

Q

Comments (1)
    I have about 5 acres of this devil's spawn. The plants aren't up yet, though. The frost kills it back but it comes back with a vengeance in about April. I know that it is supposed to be good for urinary problems, but this stuff is so invasive. I have a feeling that the Federal and local agricultural agencies would hang someone who dared to mail the seeds though, I'm not taking the chance. My suggestion to you is to come down to Central Florida and just walk around - you'll find bushels of it.
    ...See More

Legit gripe or am I just being hormonal

Q

Comments (9)
    Seriously I think I was just being hormonal. I'm 7 months pregnant with an almost 3 yr. old who is challenging. Here is what happened. I lent out a bunch of expensive equipment including some of my grandmother's silver to some friends to cater a wedding. I DID get it back. They said for letting them borrow my stuff so they didn't have to go and rent things, they would take me to Dallas Market as payment if you will. Kind of a hey thanks for doing this for us, we'll take you to market, deal. Great, cool. I was asked to host a baby celebration on Wednesday which includes a buffet where I will be making most of the food for cost reasons because I only have $300 for it. There are some serving pieces that I still need and that is why I called them to see if they were going to Market and if so, would they mind taking me. I never heard back after calls and emails. I ended up buying a couple things online and texasredhead told me of a place to look for the other things which I appreciate a lot. (BTW texasredhead have you been to Lone Star-Rush Restaurant Supply and if so, what did you think? I mainly just need the wood squares and triangles and was going to check them and Ace out to see if they have them.) I was just frustrated because I never heard back. That is all. I hope that clears some things up. I don't think I would have gotten so upset or really cared if I didn't have a baby celebration to cater at the end of July and Market was on the week that I called them. Thank you all for your responses I've really appreciated them and would like to close this thread. texasredhead, would you respond on my other post about Rush. Thank you!!
    ...See More

So I think I may have these two mixed up- ID help please

Q

Comments (6)
    My Frances Williams struggled for a couple of years in a spot that got afternoon sun. I moved it to a shady spot with some dappled afternoon sun and it loved it. I like the colour more in the shade too. It's very blue with a limey green edge. At the same time I had taken a small section off and planted it somewhere that got a little more sun. It's basically green with a yellow edge. It doesn't even look like the same hosta. I'd leave Frances in the shade if I were you.
    ...See More
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

As for cetirizine (zyrtec), different people react to all those allergy meds differently. For me, it definitely helps open things up, but the tradeoff is that I sleep for two days straight, so I try not to take it unless I'm desperate. A doctor once suggested taking half of one, but that just made me sleep without any relief of my symptoms. Claritin, on the other hand, does nothing for symptoms but does keep me from sleeping at all. You really can't tell how you'll react to any of those until you try them (preferably on the night before a day when you won't need to drive or anything like that).

Yeah, I can relate to this thread, except that I had the stomach version this time. But I came down with it a week ago Sat, and when I was at the endo's office yesterday I was still running a fever.

ETA However, I had terrible bronchitis a couple of years ago when I was in France, and the treatment they gave me worked better than any antibiotic I've ever taken. It was essentially nothing but hyper-concentrated sea water, but with a delivery mechanism totally unlike those wimpy squeeze bottles we have here. It made you feel like you were irrigating the underside of your skull. I was over that bout of bronchitis in four days flat, although it normally takes at least ten with antibiotics. And I was walking about fifteen miles a day while I was sick, although here I can barely crawl from my car into the pharmacy when I'm that ill.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Oops, meant to say I hope you feel better soon, Annie and everyone.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I hope you feel better soon. These things are awful. It's miserable being in a body that's fighting this stuff. I always feel super cranky when I get one.

please everyone try and get meat that says no antibiotics. I had a bad cold a few years ago. It lingered for weeks and managed to get out into my tissues. It went along my nose and was up by my eye and spilling into my cheek. The Dr said it could go into my skull and kill me in 3 days. I think these things are getting stronger. People used to be sick maybe 3 or 4 days. Now it goes on for weeks. That gives the bugs plenty of time to infect others.

In dry air, pathogens stay aloft after a cough or a sneeze. At the equator they don't see so much cold and flu because the air is moist and pathogens sink down. Heated dry air is their friend. Also people go out and about and everyone is expected to go in to work regardless. Kids bring it home from everywhere. I don't know how we could break the cycle except to try and keep from spreading it somehow.

Sugar suppresses immunity so if you feel ill, start probiotics, don't eat any sugar, eat fiber and drink fluids and sleep as much as possible. The things we should do anyway to avoid it in the first place.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked kittymoonbeam
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

Ugh. This used to happen to me every fall for about five years. Four to eight weeks. I just had to make sure it didn't go into pneumonia, which it almost did a couple times. You have my sympathy.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • roarah
    7 years ago

A rash while on amoxicillin with a sore throat is often a sign of mono. Get tested for that. It is viral, but often mistaken for strep and although no medicine fix it is important to know you have it to keep your spleen safe. It is common in early spring...

Annie Deighnaugh thanked roarah
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

The allergy season is hitting hard here lately. I am so ready for the trees to stop pollenating. The flowers can continue. Hope everyone feels better soon.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lascatx
  • joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

I had a run of the mill cold in February and it lasted three weeks and a little longer to feel totally back to normal. I think as we age it's harder and takes longer to get over even the simplest ailments.

Hope you feel better soon Annie!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked joaniepoanie
  • lizzie_grow
    7 years ago

Annie, have they done blood tests to check for Mono? I'd encourage you to have them do that. Feel better....

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lizzie_grow
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I had that a couple of years ago, especially with the coughing. I was miserable and so sick of lozenges to try to combat the constant need to cough. I don't know about the throat swelling, but with allergies you never know what's going to be affected. You all have my sympathy because it's been a rough year for the crud.

I do take Zyrtec when it gets bad but I always take it night so I can function during the day. Claritin doesn't seem to do the job for me. I combine that with Nasocort for drainage and it seems to do the trick with the constant tickle in the throat and post-nasal drip I seem to battle. I try not to use Nasocort for more than a week or so at a time. The rest of the time I use a saline spray (Arm & Hammer Simply Saline recommended by my ENT).

I also use a sinus rinse (Neil-Med) when my sinuses seem to be really clogged from all the pollen or once a week just to keep them irrigated.

Man, that sounds like a drawer full of cr*p to keep your nose and throat healthy doesn't it?!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • lucillle
    7 years ago

Annie I hope they find out what it is and that you are cured of it soon. And while you are waiting for that to happen I hope there is something you can do or take to make yourself less miserable. Hot soup? Tylenol? Ice cream?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lucillle
  • Fori
    7 years ago

When you're getting the mono test, might as well have a swab for pertussis. It's not always "typical". Everybody is sick here too. Think I got my last cold at the pediatrician...

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Your doctor needs to do a sputum sample and throat swab and then have those tested to see what "bug" is bothering you. The test will then suggest which antibiotics are effective against YOUR bug. These broad spectrum antibiotics are now not as effective as they once were - antibiotic-resistant bacteria abound. This is the ONLY way you will get well. If you doctor refuses, find another one quickly.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Anglophilia
  • eandhl2
    7 years ago

Since you aren't congested, have you tried Delsym orange. Not Delsym D. The cough with pneumonia was terrible & I just wanted some sleep. The plain Delsym really helped stop the cough better than any other cough med.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eandhl2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The good news is, when this all started, I went to look at what cold medicines I had in the cabinet, and I saw the most expired in 2010! So I guess it's been a long time since either of us have had a cold.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think I have mono...no fever and I'm not as sick as I think I'd be with mono. I think I just have a viral infection and picked up the secondary bacterial infection and the amox. was not as effective against it as one might like so it came back. I see doc tomorrow and hopefully will get a new script.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I feel for you. I had bronchitis last year for almost four months. I had one bout, then a week's hiatus before starting up again. This year, thus far, I have been well. I've done my grocery shopping at low volume times and have washed my hands obsessively, but sometimes it's just about luck.

One of my friends was sick for months with bacterial pneumonia which they first treated as bronchitis. She's still having difficulty with lung capacity even though the infection is cured.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Fun2BHere
  • cawaps
    7 years ago

I can definitely commiserate. Last year and this year have been bad for bugs where the symptoms go on and on and on. And then you layer the allergy season on top of it.

I found that OTC cough drops were actually very helpful with the lingering cough (I don't usually find them helpful at all, but this was a tickly throat that produced a completely unproductive cough). Halls has a honey cough drop (NOT the honey lemon) that has a picture of a honey comb and says it is made with real honey. Very soothing.

On the allergy front, I take Fexofenadine (like Allegra, but I take the much cheaper generic version I can get from the Kaiser pharmacy, and then cut them in half because I really don't need 180 mg). Zyrtec just makes me want to sleep 15 hours a day.

A few years ago, I got a cold that just wouldn't go away. The coughing and wheezing went on and on for 8 or 10 weeks. Though I was going to break a rib from coughing. The doctor diagnosed me with Reactive Airway Disease (I now think it's asthma, but don't have a diagnosis) and prescribed a couple of inhalers, which cleared it up.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked cawaps
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I am into week 3 of being sick, but I am almost over it. Just constant low grade post nasal drip and we are keeping Kimberly Clarke in business with all the kleenexes and I should have bought stock in Riccola. Nothing helps, we have tried it all, decongestant, anti-mucus and anti-histamine, all the kinds. SO is worse than me and is now going on week 5. Starting in 2010, I went through a three-year period where I was sick for two months, four times. That means 1/3 of the time for that three-year time period I was sick. Now I have gone almost three years with no sickness. So I dunno. I do know that when I was sick, the only thing that helped was rest, rest, rest and more rest. Just have to wait it out. And of course lots of fluids, Vit. C, etc. SO swears by lysine, and I took three days of zinc when I first came down with it and maybe that is why mine has lasted less time. We feel your pain, we are very sick of being sick. I also now get flu shots every year, because I just don't want to risk losing more time off my life.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked l pinkmountain
  • Bonnie
    7 years ago

Annie, I am sorry you have the never-ending bug from Boston. I just this week finally kick the bug to the curb. I think I caught in either on a cruise or on a plane in February. It took two visits to a walk-in clinic for medical care (both on weekends) and involved more meds than I have ever been on in my life. I truly believe it was viral and had to run its miserable, long course. Hang in there and know that I certainly can commiserate with you. I wish you the strength to endure the intensity of this bug.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bonnie
  • localeater
    7 years ago

I was sick all of January. My strep was positive. First round was amoxicillin. Felt better, but then got worse. Second round was augmentin. The doctor said it is amoxicillin plus something else which helps it penetrate the structure if the virus it worked. It still took a few weeks though.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked localeater
  • User
    7 years ago

So sorry to read that you have been feeling so lousy for so long with no real diagnosis or solution. Hoping it resolves soon- so sorry.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • Michael
    7 years ago

It's a miracle! My sore throat left yesterday as fast as it arrived two weeks ago. My doctor told me to drop the Zyrtec (thanks be to God) and finish up with a mucus relief for a few days. I can feel ambition returning.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Michael
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well doc gave me a z-pack and we'll see if that helps. I also have an appointment with an ENT so if I'm not better after this 2nd round, maybe he can come up with something.

Just so sick of being sick!

I appreciate all the insights and especially the commiseration. Somehow it's helpful to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks, guys...you're the best!

• josephene_gw
    7 years ago

Annie, I'm on Amos too but for a different kind of infection. Counting the days until the bottle is empty. Take it with food I found is best. Dr gave me folic acid tabs for side effects of other meds (nausea). I have rheumatoid arthritis.

anyway more than you need to know.

Hope you are better soon.

take care of yourself.

jo

Annie Deighnaugh thanked josephene_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I hope this will be your last round. Even though I'm not sick, I'm still using my sprays and irrigate at least once/week. It really helps in this awful pollen season.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

That's usually what we get the first time around. If this works, then you know what to ask for next time.

We have to be our own advocates.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

We are still seeing a high number of flu cases (very unusual for this time of year). Had coworkers last month with similar symptoms (headache, cough, sore throat) that tested positive for flu, despite being vaccinated. It has been a severe season for what I call "over-the-counter" illnesses in general this year, lingering symptoms and sicker than one would expect.

You are right, Annie, a viral infection often sets one up for a bacterial one to move right on in.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, so far the z pack has given me the trots...but I was tested for and don't have mono anyway.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Did he not do any other tests to show it's bacterial? Hoping this one helps.

Outside, I agree with the rinsing, etc. My allergies have been worse the last two years. I see re-testing in my future LOL. Last year I was prescribed 2 inhalers (seasonal only - I used it about 4-6 weeks last year). Also had to do a short round of prednisone. Have been testing for asthma I can't tell you how many times, but it is just a bad allergic reaction, no asthma thank goodness!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked tinam61
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Last cultures came back negative...

• nini804
    7 years ago

OMG...I have recently gotten over almost 5 weeks of being sick!! And I NEVER get sick, I am one of those annoying people who have a super strong immune system. I rarely even get colds, but if I do, they are gone in a couple of days. This thing started out like a normal cold, and I got better except for a lingering cough. Then I spent 3 of the next four weekends traveling to cheerleading completions with my dd. Lots of time in planes and hotels.

The cough never left, and a few days after we returned from Dallas I was at a girls night out with friends and suddenly felt awful. I had a low fever and just felt vile. I gutted through it for a few days, but we were getting ready to fly to Orlando and I still felt awful. No appetite, exhausted, terrible cough and so much sinus pain & congestion. I was sleeping all the time & had no interest in running (I run 6 miles a day & usually go into withdrawal if I miss a day.) I finally went to the doctor who said I had developed 2 secondary infections...sinus infection AND bronchitis. Gave me antibiotics & an inhaler. I slowly started feeling better, but the antibiotics gave me stomach issues, fun. Before my cough finally left, I also ended up pulling two muscles in my chest/stomach area. Horribly painful.

So glad I am finally feeling normal again, and I will do anything in my power to prevent this from ever happening again. No idea what this super bug was, but it was diabolical. Here's hoping you feel much better soon!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nini804
  • User
    7 years ago

Ds1 was sick with some nasty viral thing for a few days. Ds2 appears not to be feeling well now. He hasn't left my lap all morning.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

For some people, avoiding wheat and dairy stops excess mucus production. I've found relief that way during a cold or at the end when it seems to linger. Grapefruit helps too.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked kittymoonbeam
  • texanjana
    7 years ago

I hope you feel better soon, Annie. I rarely get sick, but have had two really bad colds in recent months. I have heard lots of people here have been ill with respiratory illnesses, too.

I had bronchitis a few years ago, missed a week of work, went back for a day, had a relapse and missed another week. I had a steroid shot, an inhaler and two different antibiotics. I was so sick and it took forever to get over it. I never want that again!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked texanjana
  • Delilah66
    7 years ago

Sheeisback - DS2 CANNOT be old enough to leave your lap on his own, can he?

• User
    7 years ago

Delilah - We've hit the 6 month mark and he's been on the move for a while. :) We're going to have to buy additional baby gates.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

DH and I have not been sick all winter but we both got sick two weeks ago. Considering we are both around people all the time for our jobs this is pretty amazing. First him, then me a couple of days later. We both had fevers. He was sick on the weekend but I had to stay home one day from work. We are finally feeling better but still not 100%. Plus, the pollen has been out of control here which does not help.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked gsciencechick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Over 4 weeks in and still at it. The z-pack is proving ineffective. The good news is at least, one side of my throat feels better. The other side is getting worse. DH just happens to have an appointment today with an ENT and I think I might co-opt it. My GF who I think gave me the infection (not intentionally of course) was cured with a high dose of ceftin. I'm thinking that may be what I need as the amoxycillin was at least partly effective as far as it went....

I'm just so sick of being sick! I want to be well to enjoy all the company that's coming for Easter!

• tinam61
    7 years ago

It sounds like it may be viral and not bacterial. That is what is going around here so bad. Weeks long. I would be very leery of taking another antibiotic. Bummer!!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked tinam61
  • robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

My last lingering cough and sore throat I got sick of the nightmares and edginess from decongestants and cough suppressants and just felt awful. In desperation to get off cough syrup, I started taking a tsp of honey nightly and I think it really did help the cough enough to get me to sleep.

Sorry to hear you are sick! I had the stomach flu recently but it was blessedly short. Being ill for so long just drags you down in so many subtle ways. And you likely won't realize how bad it's bringing you down until a couple weeks after you think you've recovered. Take it easy on yourself!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked robo (z6a)
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Went to ENT yesterday who saw the throat irritation and said it was acid reflux. Uh, no. It's because I've been sick for over a month. Not very impressed with him. But at least he verified for my PC that there was nothing else going on. Started ceftin which helped my GF's issue so I hope it will mine too.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I wouldn't have guessed that either, Annie. Drainage from your sinuses or irritation from the coughing (or combination of both), yes, but not that. Hope the new drug helps knock it all out.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I don't know your exact situation, but I think that anti-biotics do a number on your immune system and if you don't have anything bacterial, won't help you get better faster. I think they make it take longer. If you have a virus and want to kick it to the curb, take a couple of days and just rest, sleep, drink fluids and don't take anything other than maybe a multi, calcium, vit. C, magnesium and D3 and maybe lysine. Those all help your immune system. And pro-biotics, because the anti-biotics have wiped out your friendly bacteria. Lots of good cleansing, immune supporting healthy whole foods. Stop all the other drugs, they just mess up your system if you don't have the disease for them. Just allow yourself to be sick and don't do anything. Rent a whole lot of good movies to watch or the whole series of "Breaking Bad" or whatever floats your boat. SO haven't had much luck lately in that regard so I can't help with that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know what I have, but I know that the antibiotics take away the pain and swelling within 12-24 hrs and without them yet, I'm getting worse. So they are helpful.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Do you have a history of sinus problems? I highly recommend the book, "Sinus Survival" by Robert S. Ivker. He has a whole Web site with lots of information. I think when you have a problem that goes from acute to chronic, you have to start looking at some complementary holistic things. Easier said than done, I know, with how hectic all our lives are.https://www.sinussurvival.com/

I don't think anyone can do all those things and have a miracle cure or something like that, but you may find one or two things that help your symptoms.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks lpink, but I don't have a history of sinus issues, thank goodness.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

I hope the ceftin is working. I am concerned about one side getting worse. If you were developing an abcess I would think the ENT would have spotted that; but, keep a sharp eye on how your jawline and throat look -- if you see swelling, get to your MD right away!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks raee, will do! The throat is definitely better with the ceftin and so far no ugly side effects which is good and I am taking a probiotic. But I'm still coughing, sometimes hoarse and now seem to be getting some post nasal stuff. The hardest part is I tire so easily yet. I had a lot of running around to do yesterday and by the time I came home, I was shot.