SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

4-1-17 Visit to Sacramento Historic Rose Garden

Ann9BNCalif
7 years ago

I was in Sacramento last weekend and managed to squeeze in about an hour at the historic cemetery rose garden. I wish I could have taken the cemetery tour since I'm a gold rush history buff but just didn't have the time. I plan to learn a lot more about OGRs this year so I took a quick self-directed tour, aiming my iPhone at roses in bloom. Many of the roses I skipped were just about to pop open but needed another few days. If you're going to the rose sale this coming Saturday, I think you'll see a lot of blooming roses!

The volunteers that maintain this garden were out in force last Saturday, and kindly offered me a free scone and coffee. A really nice group and doing a fabulous job!

The first rose I encountered wasn't an OGR but the hybrid tea, Sutter's Gold, an ironic name since John Sutter didn't get rich from the gold rush which began on his property (he reminds me of today's lottery winners who wind up broke). At least he has a lovely rose named after him!

Gloire des Rosamanes, china found in Columbia, CA. Jeri Jennings recently posted a great photo of this rose. The vintage style of both the roses and the grave markers makes this cemetery very special. I'm not sure what the status is with regard to the city's wish that the roses be removed, but I can't imagine this place without these roses.

R. banksiae normalis, a found rose from Davis, CA is climbing up this impressive tree.

I love this arch! The roses have name tags but some of them are so far into a giant shrub I couldn't see what the name was so if I mis-identify, feel free to correct me. I believe this one is Phillips and Rix Pink Climbing China.

Ramona, found rose that's a hybrid laevigata from Butte county. Some of the loveliest roses are growing along the fence that separates the cemetery from the street.

Belle Portuguese, also growing along the fence. This climbing shrub was falling down and had a tag indicating that work needed to be done. I love the shape and colors. Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

Car Wash Rose, found in Calaveras County was growing near the fence. I love the name which presumably tells the story of where it was found.

Autumn Damask found in Elk Grove, CA

Monsieur Tillier, a tea rose from 1891

More photos coming in the next post.

Ann

Comments (5)