SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klfolger68

Help me pick the right hydrangea please!

klfolger68
7 years ago

Hi all, I live in zone 7, on primarily sandy soil, though I have cut in enough manure and compost to make a fairly rich, well draining soil. Our soil is also on the basic end of the spectrum, so I will be cutting in some soil acidifier prior to planting.

My chosen location for my future hydrangea is on the north side of one of our fences, sheltered from our BAKING summer afternoon sun by a tall (6') shrub next to its spot on the west. It'll get done morning sun and dappled midday sun. Our winters get pretty darn cold, not a lot of snow, but usually a couple ice storms. I'm absolutely willing to cover up my dormant plants during these storms.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to nikko blue, endless summer, or mathilda gutges.. does anyone have any wisdom for me? This is our first year in our new house. In my apartment I had a couple potted hydrangeas that I just ADORED, but unfortunately didn't survive the unintended neglect while we were moving/renovating.

Also, if you know of a better cultivar for my situation, please let me know! My only stipulation is that it be a mophead, and have colored blooms as opposed to white.

Thank you all so much in advance!!

Kate in Oklahoma

Comments (2)