SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Dwarf shade for Zone 8/9?

jaxo
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live in an southwestern area with hot, dry summers with summer temps typically about 90-105 degrees.

I would like to plant a few Thuja's in a row a narrow strip along the straight section of the south facing fence (they will be living in the shadow of the fence during the afternoon) and then plant something else at the corners where there is a bit more space.

I was thinking of putting a Juniper Skyrocket in each corner since they grow wider and I don't want to have to deal with trimming.

However, I would prefer to plant real "trees" in the corners so I could get shade, but there is not a lot of space for surface roots to grow without possibly damaging the hardscape.

Are there any "dwarf" trees that will not grow much over 10 ft (or less) tall and have non-invasive roots?

I'm looking for low maintenance (little or preferably no pruning needed) and no fruit or anything else dropping making a sticky mess on the patio.

I'd like to be able to sit under it and get some shade, but never have it grow tall enough to grow branches over the roof and gutters of a ranch style home.

Evergreen would be perfect.

Is there anything that meets all these requirements?

Comments (9)