SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Fence stain is all messed up - need advice!

ostrich
7 years ago

Now that the weather is warmer, I am getting my garden ready again!

I have a dilemma with my cedar fence, and I am hoping that you can help me with it. My backyard is enclosed by cedar fence, and there are flower beds all around it. The fence was stained with Benjamin Moore Arbor Coat semi-transparent stain just about 4 years ago but it did not seem to do a good job and had a lot of bleeding and developed some dark stains in the wood. Since the flower beds are still "sleeping" I thought that I should have the fence re-stained before the shrubs and perennials come out. I contacted a contractor whom I worked with before and asked him to do the staining. He came out today, and re-stained it with Olympic semi-transparent stain after wire-brushing the fence.... and the results are NOT good.

Basically, the darker stains in some panels never came out despite his wire-brushing, and now it looks like the fence has been stained OVER some dirty wood areas. I am not happy with it. I wished that he had told me about it before going ahead with the stain. He said that he did not know what the dark stains were, but they were deep and did not think that they would have come out with pressure washing. He also did not want to use chemicals as they might kill my plants.

So, he wants to apply a second coat on Friday, and he thinks that it will look better then.

What do I do now? With this first coat of semi-transparent stain, we cannot simply apply semi-solid colours on top of it.... probably a semi-solid stain would have hidden the stains better in the first place. I am not happy about it, but I don't know of any other options. I am not prepared to spend $$$ to have it all sanded down, since I have already spent $$ on this....

Your advice will be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH