SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

10 years in the making... my soapstone.

Or in the Waiting, I guess. Nature worked on it before that. Yes, Ms. Nature, thank you so much!

Here are 3 pics that kinda show my almost finished kitchen. It has given me the bug to get things done, so today I'm finishing and hanging cabinets. Too exciting!

Once again, thank you Granite Grannies (here in Upper Marlboro, MD) for working with me and having faith that I'm good for the $$. LOL. They're artists, too. Look at that beautiful sink. Made for me and ONLY me. Me, ME, MEEEEE!!!!

Notice my counter-window area. Beautiful. Lots of space. For some reason, there were some things greeted as kind of unusual, but .."oh, cool." My sink has nice rounded outside corners, which seemed normal to me, but not something they'd done. But, I think this is only the 2nd sink they've made for someone. They haven't figured out how to round the inside corners yet, so I'm gonna have to do some cleaning, but that's just fine.

What you can't see is that the grain follows down the inside of the sink, across the bottom, and up the other side. It's visually incredible.

That big hole on the end, under my counters is where my fridge used to be. It's through that door (a reclaimed, French door now a pocket door) in the mudroom. It was just so big and ugly, and I only had 24" of workspace above the dish washer (Craig's List in 2007). I plan to build an island to slide under there.
I have my drawer still for under here, but have to afford a plumber first to attach the water, disposer, etc., before I reconfigure the back of the drawer for installation. The sink front frame from 5 cabinets I got at The Loading Dock in Baltimore. They were beaded inset, quartersawn oak, Shaker cabinets. I picked them up for a song and have since sold most of them; they were also particle board. (You can see a wall cab in the 1st picture. That'll go, too.) I kept these pieces that were the spacers and made the sink cabinet frame, and the cabinet end pieces. Even though my drawer will go in there, I have to paint the inside of the cabinet.

Everything in my house, (except my soapstone!) is reclaimed. Even the oak cabinet to the left is a reuse center, Quaker Maid (or Made, can't remember) I stripped and antiqued. Got 4 of these from the Community Forklift in Edmonston, MD. Photos including two glass ones will show up later on my credenza when I finish that.

My kitchen floor is unfinished right now, and in the pictures covered with plywood for protection. Packing crates (with Beetle-kill blue!) pallets and 1x12x16' planks I got at The Loading Dock for $0.25 lf. Yeah! Again, when I get to the point where I like it enough to take pictures, you'll see that then.

Here is a close up on the left side of the sink counter. Someone was right. "Smoke" doesn't do it justice. It should be called "Stormy Weather" or something! I've never seen soapstone with a little sparkle to it. Blew me away to see it polished and oiled.

So that's it for the moment.
Yes, I'm petting it. It makes everything seem possible -- so now I'm off to finish and hang some uppers!

Comments (26)