SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_m_k

A note of thanks, and questions about Gritty and 5-1-1 mixes

Emily
7 years ago

Hello and happy spring to everyone! I've spent the past few months reading through the comments on the 'container soils- water movement and retention' posts and I have to say thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge and passion. I learn something new here every day, and am excited to join in this community.

I am going to be making both the Gritty Mix and 5-1-1 this weekend, and want to make sure I have all the information absolutely correct. So far I have screened Repti-Bark with 3/8 inch screen to remove the bigger pieces, and a 1/8 inch screen to remove the fines. I'll be using Manna-Pro chicken grit, and Napa 8822 and am wondering if I need to sift the grit, and with the Napa floor dry only using my smallest screen to remove dust. For the 5-1-1 mix I have sphagnum peat and perlite (plus the bark) dolomite lime, and a 5-1-1 fish fertilizer. I'm not sure about how I add the lime and fertilizer, am I wetting the mix, etc. I've been reluctant to ask for help, but I want to get this right!

Comment