SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danstelter

Back yard a complete mess!

Dan Stelter
7 years ago

So, we got a lot going on in our back yard. By the way, we have two Great Danes, so they pretty much trash it!

Anyway, I'd like to get it growing with good, solid, green grass. Doesn't need to be picture-perfect. Just grassy.

Issues as I see them:

1. The puddle there by the arrow angling in. About 3-4 inches of water collects there after a decent rain storm. If you follow the arrow pointing right, that goes to the neighbor's yard. There's a small ravine between their property and ours, but I'm not too sure they'd agree to having a drainage ditch running into that. If you follow the arrow to the left, it's a loooooong distance to the road. Maybe a good 30-40 feet from the puddle there.

I understand we have to address that first before anything else. What's our best option?

2. We have two Great Danes and a fairly small yard. They tear it up quite good. And they get antsy in the house, so we have to do something with them.

My father-in-law suggested putting up a snow fence on half the lawn, reseeding it and growing the grass, and then doing the same on the other side.

What's the best approach for doing this? I don't know much about lawn care. But can follow directions. What type of seed would we use?

Got a small budget. We live in Milwaukee, WI.

3. We have another puddle in the back yard where the yard is low. Again, you get a good 3-4 inches of water in a decent rainstorm.

How would you take care of that?

Like I said, not a lawn care expert here. Don't need an amazing lawn. Just a grassy one that doesn't collect water.

I can follow directions. Am somewhat handy.

Appreciate your help,

Dan

Comments (12)