SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaotungmommy

Need Help to Pick a Kitchen Design

7 years ago

We are remodeling our house. The kitchen is to be expanded. We are having hard time to decide the main kitchen layout, mainly how to position the stove and make the main kitchen look more cohesive and functional at the same. Please help us decide. Thank you.

Option A: Stove by the mid wall.

Option B: Corner Stove

Option C: Stove by the front wall

Comments (20)

• 7 years ago

You want to be able to go from fridge to sink to cooktop without criss crossing, backtracking, or going around an obstacle (island). Your sink at the bottom of the plan appears to be your cleanup sink; that shouldn't factor in to the triangle described above, but it should be convenient to the dining area (where is that? Top of the plan?). The island is a barrier in all of the plans.

Try putting nothing on the wall that shares the pantry and wok kitchen and nothing on the shorter wall where you have the fridge in the first plan. Then create a work triangle on that side of the kitchen.

Keep in mind that I suggested the above without regard to the wok kitchen because I don't know anything about wok kitchens.

shaotungmommy thanked emilyam819
  • 7 years ago

Hi, emilyam819, thank you for your comments. The family room is on top of the kitchen facing the ocean.

We have also tried having two smaller islands (instead of one gigantic one) to create easier access from the kitchen to the family room. But it makes the kitchen very crowded (two separate islands eat up a lot of spaces). So we narrow down to one-island kitchen as shown in these three plans.

Thank you very much for your input. I'll take your advice and think over it and see if I can come up some thing more functioning and flows better.

Thank you.

• Related Discussions

Need help picking window treatments for almost finished kitchen!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks so much for the responses. I think I'm going to go for it! Capegirl-It would be a working shade because we need the privacy at night. It would be up during the day. I think the window faces west and the front of the house. Also, the lights are from Capital Lighting. They were a really good price. I have the Ballard Design 12 inch Carriage House Lantern in the foyer and I really like it too. Thanks! bahacca- Thanks for the response! I have looked at bamboo too and really like them. breezygirl-that is a wood window sill with a piece of wood trim under it. Thanks also for the response!! Jill
    ...See More

Need help picking a kitchen cabinet design

Q

Comments (5)
    Can you do a flat raised panel framed by a groove? That's what I did for my KraftMaid vanity because I wanted something dressier than Shaker but didn't like the traditional raised panel center style. Where there's the bead around the flat panel you'd have a groove, along with the groove at the edge of the door. It's easy to keep clean.
    ...See More

Help! We need help picking a kitchen paint color.

Q

Comments (11)
    The lighter one is better than the other one. But they both have green undertones. Look for something a little more blue
    ...See More

Kitchen reno - need help picking tile, backsplash & countertop

Q

Comments (8)
    your pics are super tiny and sideways. have no idea what the kitchen layout looks like because we can't see it. forget the backsplash tile for now. that comes last after everything is installed. (and that arabesque mosiac is a tad outdated) Ditto the hardware. wait. the style you picked is better suited to a more modern cabinet. color is fine but that super long handle is better suited for large drawers or pantry cabinets. what color white are you painting? you're getting dark floors but tile in the kitchen? why not continue w/the wood? I just painted all my cabs and put down hardwood. I love it. Right now, get one of your doors painted. Take that door with you (and your flooring piece) and go pick out a countertop you like. nothing else matters until you do that. Using the wood flooring will open up many more options than that porcelain tile you picked. post better pics. show us where the wood floor is w/the dining room. (can you get more of that wood? maybe in chevron design? )
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

Could you post a sketch of the first floor and some details on your family, etc? (tell us more about the wok kitchen!). I don't like how the fridge/freezers are in the corner in A--seems too deep in the kitchen and not enough room to open the door in the corner. B and C are OK, but I think can optimize something better if you give more information.

shaotungmommy thanked caligirl5
  • 7 years ago

hi, caligirl5, thank you for your comments. I'll attach an entire floor plan for the kitchen level for you to take a look. I can't edit the original post anymore.

We have a small family but we love to cook and eat at home. The wok kitchen is going to be the main work horse. Most of the serious Asian/Chinese style cooking is going to be done there so to contain the oil/smoke/steam/deep frying/smell what-not, and to keep all the cooking mess/chaos in a closed-door wok kitchen. It's really a work kitchen, not for showing or socializing. The main kitchen would be where we prepare for breakfast, light lunch and light dinner, and for doing homework, paying bills and for socializing with friends and visitors etc.

I don't know if you can see the plan well. But the kitchen area is at the right lower potion. The kitchen is open to the family/breakfast room and with a formal dining room (but we use it as kid's playroom) next to it.

Again, thank you for your comments.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is the clean-up sink under the large window non-negotiable? Does that window have a much better view than the window on the side? It appears the location of the window on the side is flexible, so if it's moved down and made larger would that be better?

• 7 years ago

Hi, Mama goose, thank you for your comment. I did a little sketch and realized that if I put a 36" cooktop at the location you recommended, it would leave only about 18" space to each of the two sides for wall cab. It seems a bit tight. And the larger window actually faces East so it lets in very nice morning sunlight. I'd be reluctant to let it go. The other smaller window looks into adjacent houses on the hills. The view is good but does not let in the magical morning sunlight.

Do you like the corner stove layout at all? I know you said you don't know much about corner stove/hood. But I'd like to hear about your opinion about this specific design if you have a chance. Thank you.

• 7 years ago

I didn't draw in uppers on the range wall because I'd suggest leaving them out, and using a free-standing chimney hood, centered between the wall and the window. Kind of like this rough illustration, but your island would be oriented the other direction. This hood is centered between windows, but I tried to alter it to simulate the bump in. I'd also recommend a hood 6" wider than the cooktop/range, to help contain steam and grease, but that might be too wide for the space, unless you make the window 6" narrower:

You can store almost anything in a drawer base, just as conveniently, or more so, than in an upper cabinet--spices, baking staples, cookware, etc.

I've always liked both of NHbaskets kitchens with corner ranges, and in a large kitchen where you have storage in the pantry and wok kitchen, I think the corner range would be fine. I don't care for the way it relates to the island and the bump-out, with the base cabinet just kind of jutting out there. I also don't think you have enough prep space where you need it, facing the range.

Have you read the 'New to Kitchens' thread? I think I linked it in your other thread. It explains the relationship between appliances and work zones. The NKBA recommends a minimum of 36" of prep space beside a sink, but 42-48" would be much better. Also, the fridge, prep sink, and range should form a triangle, or similarly direct path, with no other zone between them. Your clean-up zone and dish storage are between the range and fridge in the plan you originally posted (second one posted on this thread.)

Here's another idea, which doesn't address the zone crossing, but it does give you more prep space across from the range. The hood would be the same as the above chimney hood, with no uppers. You could have pull-outs on each side of the range, with open shelves filling the voids. This plan eliminates the counter to the left of the range (as you face it), except for the shallow cabinet between the corner and the window--maybe you could use that for display. The range could be pulled out so that the cabinets start at the corner, to increase the counter area landing space and width of the pull-outs. (Blue line.)

I changed the shape of the island slightly, and made the seating overhang 15" deep--the NKBA recommended minimum for counter height seating . The seating side would be 8', and the side facing the fridge/freezer would be ap 7' (I'm guessing). You could have extra storage in the void between the cabinets, or if you have a pet, leave a gap there for a 'cave'.

You give up a lot of storage space with this plan, so if it doesn't appeal to you, that's OK. Better to explore all your options before the contractor arrives.

shaotungmommy thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 7 years ago

I think the fridge is getting far away from the work zone in the corner range plan. NKBA recommendation is max 9' for each leg of the work triangle.

shaotungmommy thanked caligirl5
  • 7 years ago

Thank you, Mama Goose. You put in a lot of thoughts for my question. I really appreciate your input.

I'll talk to my architect about changing the window... it's leaking also and needs to be repaired/replaced. The window looks like this.... with a dome shape on the ceiling.

The top half-circle part of the window lets in morning light for a good 3-4 hours in the morning. It makes the whole room feels bright, warm and golden.

I'll study your recommendation and the points you raised in your comments. I sincerely appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

• 7 years ago

You're welcome. That's a pretty window. The late afternoon sun turns my kitchen golden, about the time I am fixing supper--always gives me warm fuzzies. ;)

• 7 years ago

After seeing the pic of your vaulted ceiling and the way it frames the sink, I took a second look at the above plans. I think plan C could work, if you remove the little stick-out on the island. With the extra floor space, a helper could work in the clean-up zone, without interfering with prep or cooking.

If the second DW won't fit between the clean-up sink and the wall, you could put it on the corner of the island. I'd suggest keeping the DWs near each other, because it will be easy to forget what is where, or dirty/clean--unless this is a kosher kitchen, then the island would still be a good location for the second DW, and the dishes for those meals could be kept in drawers to the right of the trash pull-out.

I made the long counter 18" deep, mostly to add 6" beside the range, but also to make the aisle wider. The island could be moved over a couple of inches to leave more space in the fridge aisle, too.

• 7 years ago

I like this last plan. Lots of storage and flows well. Love the window over the sink.

shaotungmommy thanked Karenseb
  • 7 years ago

Dear Mama Goose, Thank you again for your input. Plan C is actually our very first plan. Ha ha. It feels like we are going a full circle.

But why making the counter 18 inches deep? I thought the aisles should be plenty wide between 3'6" to 4'. Our current aisles range from 3' to 4'6", and they feel just about right. Is counter 18' a bit too shallow to work on? Just wondering.

I think it comes down to whether we want to have more cabs for the kitchen (Plan C, 19'6" long for upper cab), or want the kitchen to look more unified (Plan B, Corner Stove, 15' long for upper cab). The lower cab perimeter are pretty close comparing Plan B and C.

Thank you again.

• 7 years ago

I am going to only address the wok kitchen. Perhaps you should flip the location of the woks with the sink. I know the window is an issue, but you really want to have room on both sides of the wok for countertop to place your prep to grab and toss and to be able to place completed dishes without having to spin and cross to countertops. With the current plan, you only have room to your left for these items. You have to cross the area in order to set hot food on the counter behind you. Wouldn't it be better to have counter space on each side so you can move from uncooked items on one side to cooked items on the far side without having to spin?

Cooking with woks is all about prep. The actual cooking is fast and furious without a lot of time to step away.

shaotungmommy thanked homechef59
  • 7 years ago

If you have a prep space on the island, and secondary prep by the clean-up sink, will you need work space on the long wall? I mostly made those cabinets more shallow to add some space to the left of the range--it would look more centered, but it's not necessary. Yes, if the cabinets are standard depth, the original aisle widths would easily be within the NKBA recs.

• 7 years ago

Dear Homechef59, Thank you very much for your comments. I completely agree with your recommendation to move the woks to the window side so I have more prep area. My dilemma is that I need a window to improve the air circulation. You know how warm it may get in a small, closed kitchen. And the city would not let me add a window on to the other wall. That's why the kitchen layout is how it is. Luckily, I had some experiences working in tight wok kitchen with limited prep area. It's doable. Just not very convenient.

As to wok stove, do you have any recommendation? Thank you.

• 7 years ago

Dear Mama Goose, Thank you again for your comments. I see your point about making more space to the left of the cooktop. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

• 7 years ago

If you love the light - and I totally understand that - why not make the east facing wall a window wall with transoms? No uppers, no obstructions, minimal walls, just a framed view (you could even remove the lowers and have a wall of glass). Even if you are planning to do something similar in your family room. You may not have ocean views from the kitchen, but you should absolutely have light!

shaotungmommy thanked eam44
  • 7 years ago

Dear Eam44,

Thank you for your comments. These are really gorgeous pictures. Thank you for making the efforts to send them to me. In our case, we are limited by the fact that the window is facing a street. The issue of privacy is a concern. The other thing is that the other side of the kitchen/family room/great room has large floor-to-ceiling windows and french doors facing nice views. So we probably will just keep the window the way it is and enjoys the wonderful light in the morning.

Thank you again for your comments. It's really nice to hear from you.