SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tccsp11

Dull spot on quartz counters - any advice?

housebuilding126
7 years ago

We have relatively new quartz counters. They are Q quartz from MSI stone. We have been very happy with them thus far. However, today, I had a little spot that I couldn't get off. I looked on the MSI website and they suggested using Bon Ami as they said it was an approved cleaner that wouldn't damage the surface. I wet a little and put it on a soft cloth and lightly cleaned the area. Well, now I am left with a dull spot on my counter top. I really angry about this because I used a product the manufacturer said wouldn't hurt the finish. You can tell the finish is marred because it feels differently and you can see the dullness. Any suggestions? I placed a call to the installers, but I am kind of upset about it. It is on the island and is super noticeable with the way the light hits it.

Comments (50)

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

The entire countertop would have to be buffed to get an even sheen, and even then, it won't be as shiny as it is now.

I can't believe MSI would recommend Bon Ami. Stick to your guns.

• Related Discussions

Dull spots in Brazilian Cherry

Q

Comments (5)
    What you probably have done is removed the top layer or two of finish that was put on the floor (at the factory if it was prefinished, or at your home if you had a flooring professional finish the floor in place). Brazilian Cherry floors can be finished with a matte finish all the way to a high gloss, so it is difficult to tell what you are dealing with without seeing a picture of your floor. I would look for a product on line called BonaKemi. They make a prefinished flooring repair kit that can help restore the shine back to your floor. If you need further help you can use the Live Chat for flooring that is offered by the pros at FindAnyFloor.com. Even as a flooring pro myself, I ask them questions all the time to help my flooring crews out on the job sites. Good Luck. Here is a link that might be useful: Brazilian Cherry
    ...See More

Dull, light spot on quartz-is it fixable and how?

Q

Comments (6)
    Who was in your house while you were gone? Why would they be using a strong acid like a metal cleaner, or a strong base like drain cleaner? The guests owe you the new counter! #bringsophieback https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5513253/bring-sophie-back#23104977  https://help.houzz.com/s/profile-support?language=en_US 
    ...See More

any advice on quartz seam

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree, it doesn't look good and what a shame to have a seam and such a small piece attached. We can't see the rest of the kitchen but it seems likely there may have been a better location for the seam. As for the width of the seam, I'd agree on that too - it looks a little sloppy. Start by asking the company to come back and lay out a plan to make it better. Is there any more of your slab left that they might be able to cut a new piece and make a better seam?
    ...See More

Dull spot on silestone suede quartz

Q

Comments (1)
    Rewash the whole counter. You e just described one of the standard drawbacks of suede counters. You have to wash, and hand dry, all of them, at the same time.
    ...See More
  • housebuilding126
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am not sure I would polish the entire counter top or risk ruining the finish over it. I can really only see it in natural light. I wonder if there is a product that might help polish it a bit even if it doesn't restore it to perfect, but also wouldn't damage it. I wouldn't risk damaging my cabinets to remove it either.

• housebuilding126
    Original Author
    7 years ago
  • mayflowers
    7 years ago

Your fabricator needs to issue a warranty claim. Usually a manufacturer's rep will come out and look at the counter. MSI is relatively new to the quartz business and carries some Breton-made quartzes, but they also carry Chinese quartz made with Chinese technology. I am not convinced the Chinese is the same quality. I've been told they cure the resin for a shorter period of time and at lower temps than Breton. That's part of the cost-savings. It may look good but only time will tell how it performs.

My fabricator cleaned the epoxy off my new Caesarstone countertops with Barkeeper's Friend and acetone and it dulled the resins. He said the sales rep told them to clean it with BKF, so he was just following their "expert" advice--as you did. After 2 1/2 hours using polishing creams and fine pads, he gave up on blending it and replaced the countertops. About a year ago I thought my seam looked a little dirty so I put a tiny
    bit of Bon Ami on my fingertip and gently went along the seam. Welll,
    it's a little dull now but only I notice it because I'm the culprit. It
    is not obvious like the area that my fabricator ruined because it's
    not on the peninsula, which is backlit by a window and a dining room
    chandelier. A dull spot on a backlit counter is much more visible than on a perimeter counter. Lighting makes all the difference.

housebuilding126 thanked mayflowers
  • housebuilding126
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How did the replacement of the counters go? Did it damage your cabinets at all?I am really worried about the cabinets being damaged in the process of replacing it if they replace the entire countertop (no seams, solid slab).

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

I have one spot where there's a depressed area where something was inserted under the counter. It's not noticeable. I have cherry cabinets, which is a soft wood.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

housebuilding126:

The odds of damaging your cabinets by replacing tops is very low.

• Jessie Rocheleau
    6 years ago

Hello. What was your outcome of your counters? I have MSI Q as well and on my final walk through I was told it was just dirty. Now that I'm moved in I can clearly tell it's dull markings all over my island. Especially when natural lighting hits it, it's everywhere. Waiting on someone to come look at it but can only imagine the battle this is going to be. Not impressed at all

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Jessie:

Give your tops a nice acetone bath in small sections. Careful, it's flammable.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

An acetone wipe down doesn't hurt engineered stone.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts, what do you mean, "OMG"? Acetone is used by many fabricators to clean the counters after the install. It does not hurt the quartz at all. I have used it myself.

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Chess contact Silestone or any other major manufacturer and check.... not just google it. Just because there is a huge assumption it can be used, does not mean it will not void their warranties... try a claim and see what happens.

Yeah and neither does vinegar left on the surface overnight.

Photo is from vinegar left on the surface overnight, on marble it will be alot worse.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

By now, I've figured out that these companies are prohibiting EVERYTHING to cover their ass. I don't really care what the warranty says - there would be no claim for damage because wiping it with acetone does not do a thing to it. I am not talking about pouring it on the counter and leaving it. And I am certainly not talking about marble.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Actually, pouring acetone on estone and leaving it won't do much either. Acetone evaporates too fast.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Not if it is trapped under something...

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Okay, don’t pour acetone on your counter and leave something sitting on it to prevent it from drying. Oh and don’t take a blowtorch to it either. Or bang it with a hammer.

Really? Those are all extremes of purposeful abuse. these companies need to cover themselves, liability-wise, so they are clearly calling out everything that could, when applied or used improperly, cause a problem. Common sense goes a long way here.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Chess this is common amongst stone fabricators let alone what information they give their clients... so relevant yes... You would be very surprised what we see on a daily basis.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I’m sure you do see a lot of crazy stuff. But I’m not going to refuse to drive because of all the stupid sh$t other people do - if you get my point. :-)

• joshuasamah
    5 years ago

Question for Mr. Corlett our resident expert! I had Compaq Calacatta Unique installed and noticed several dull areas, worse when light reflects across the counter yet the sheen is the same. I have only used water to wipe down the counter. My fabricator had the Compaq rep come out. He agreed to replace the counter and supplied fabricator with a new slab. I had similar dullness around my sink cutout which installers buffed out using acetone and a lambwool type buffer.

since this is a waterfall island installation I am worried about damage to the cabinets, sink and newly refinished floors. I asked the fabricator to send her installer out again to try to buff these marks out before we replace. The guy she sent out wouldn’t repeat previous process and proceeded to use a sandpaper like material on the spots which made it duller and bigger.

Is it possible to polish the counter in place? Would the Regent Stone’s Quartz Renew work or in your opinion is this a lost cause?

To add insult to injury I am meeting with the rep and fabricator today at 2pm because the fabricator said the new slab from Compaq has the same marks as the one installed where the suction cups were attached. Help!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

The Quartz Renew could be used in place.

• joshuasamah
    5 years ago

Thank you for getting back to me. Using the Regent system is it possible to restore the sheen now that the installer basically sanded and removed the factory finish? I don’t want to request the fabricator use it if it’s questionable and I end up having to replace it anyway. As always I trust your judgment

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

It's entirely up to the customer as to how good a refinish is. It is possible to get an acceptable finish with Quartz Renew, even after the factory finish has been altered. Let him take a shot, please. You've really got nothing to lose.

• joshuasamah
    5 years ago

Got it. Now I will ask the fabricator if they will try. Sure wish you were in the NY metro area or we could clone you

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

joshuamah:

Thanks. Even though the repair business pays more than fabrication, the sink replacement business pays even more than repairs and I am the Stormy Daniels of the sink replacement world.

• joshuasamah
    5 years ago

Omg Fabricator and Compaq rep never heard of the Regent Stone product. Getting me a new slab

• picamillo
    5 years ago

I had a "contractor" install white quartz countertops in my new kitchen and renovated baths, less than a year ago. From the start, dull marks and rings appeared even though I was extremely cautious and diligent about cleaning. It appears to me that ANYTHING that spills or is left on the counters leaves a dull mark, even a milk spill, and so I am wondering if this was a cheap composite product, perhaps from China, and what I can do to salvage these counters? I would hate to replace them after a year, but I do not want to throw good money after bad..Is there a fix for this situation?

• Chessie
    5 years ago

picamillo, Without knowing what the "situation" is. I'm not sure how anyone could help. Your experience does not reflect a quartz product. Why did you put quotes around "contractor" - was he not qualified? What brand of quartz did you purchase? Have you contacted him?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

picamillo:

Pull out a drawer or two and see if there is a manufacturer's name on the bottom of the tops, please. And some pictures too.

• PRO
    5 years ago

picamillo what cleaning products are you using to clean it?

Also what did you contractor recommend?

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Quartz-Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts, how is this issue fixed? I’m finding myself with something similar on my quartz. Although I’m not sure what caused this.

• User
    5 years ago

This is my countertop.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

First picture looks like teenagers that knew they screwed up and tried to fix it before it was noticed.

• willlawhite
    4 years ago

I have the same problem with my Caesar Stone countertop. We have no children at home. The tops are cleaned and dried multiple times daily. I’ve asked the installer to file a warranty claim.

• PRO
    4 years ago

jsayco this looks to be a bleach damage. Damage is not a stain and needs to be professionally repaired Though Diamond Quartz Polish will fix the issues, if the etching is light and not rough to touch,

• PRO
    4 years ago

willlawhite what are you cleaning them with and do you have a photo. NOTE that all the marble look quartz are finished to a higher polish level. Hence they will damage if you clean them with anything abrasive or caustic..... As the polish level is generally around 70gu compared to 38gu with ice snow (Caesarstone) or similar.

• willlawhite
    4 years ago

For the most part I’ve cleaned with a mixture of water, dish soap, and a little vinegar. I wipe it down with an absorbent cloth immediately after cleaning. I’ve used soft scrub with bleach for a few small stains, I don’t rub it in, but just let it sit until the stain disappears then wipe with a damp rag. Caesarstone says soft scrub is ok to use, but I find that it makes the area it was used on lighter so I try not to use it. The installer was out today and tried, with little success, to clean with denatured alcohol. They will initiate a warranty claim. I am disappointed in this product.

• Fran Schiavo
    2 years ago

Try pam or another cooking spray.

• alkollmann54
    2 years ago

I have the same issue...our tips are from MSI as well and are 1 yr old this month. I have only used dawn dishsoap to clean and looks terrible. Reside looking and looks filthy. Can't get any of it to come off. We have a water softener and filter so I don't think water is the issue...

• april_espinoza
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I also have dull spots/rings on newly installed quartz purchased by my contractor from MSI. No amount of cleaning or wiping with a dry cloth takes the rings away, and the counter has a very dull texture when I clean it. Suggestions on what would remove this?

• alkollmann54
    2 years ago

April_Espinoza
    I had a sales tech come to my house last month. He had no answer for the countertop being how it is. I am getting a new one fabricated and installed on MSI expense, but I do have to repay a plumber for my sink/dishwasher hookup.
    You are correct, as time has gone on, the top is getting worse. You can see ring spots of every glass put on it, dull spots/smudges...I have no idea why it is like this. I'm leary on getting the new from them because I am wondering if thats just their product. I have never used a harsh cleaner or sponge. It will get worse as time goes on...im glad I contacted MSI bc they are backing the product

• april_espinoza
    2 years ago

Alkollman54

An MSI rep is coming out with my contractor tomorrow to have a look. I hope they back but they would have to replace both kitchen slabs as they wouldn’t look the same from two different lots - a little worried they won’t back it and make it right. At this point im fine paying a plumber for the extra hookups if they’ll fix the counters 😉

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"...they would have to replace both kitchen slabs as they wouldn’t look the same from two different lots"

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your layout in relation to the problem areas as well as their consistency between batches.

• Mary Espinola
    2 years ago

My newly installed countertops have dull spots. i watched the installers use the ”dust” (that was created when they drilled the hole for the faucet) and water in a paper towel to wipe the counters. They said this is typically what they do to remove their pencil marks, but some of the dull spots are exactly where the pencil marks were. Is it possible that they rubbed off the finish by doing this?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Is it possible that they rubbed off the finish by doing this?"

Guranteed. Stone slurry is a last resort; they should have used an eraser or acetone. Better yet, use masking tape then the pencil.

Make 'em fix 'em please.

• HU-442925411
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have similar problem with my white quartz countertop, little lemon juice creating etch mark, marks are very visible. I think quartz just the new fad, natural stones are the best. I was never inclined to use quartz, but saw the trend in every house so went for it. Most of the quartz don't have quartz crystal has they claimed, it is basically made of many industrial waste product including glass, concrete etc and the resin is worst part of it, it reacts with any household acid/alkaline product and creates etch marks, resin has lowest hardness so rubbing quartz by little harder scrub create dull marks.

• Layla E
    last year

What was your end result? We’re you hopefully able to remove the dull spots?

• Janay Ortega
    10 days ago

This is all you need Quartz Renew Snakeskin Revealer. follow the product steps

• Janay Ortega
    10 days ago

Quartz Renew : Snakeskin Revealer. i read every single comment. This product i posted is the 1 real answer.