SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie77777

Luxury Vinyl "Wood" Planks: What would you purchase??

J Milner
11 years ago
Based on your experience with and knowledge of this product: If you were going to purchase for a kitchen, casual dining room, entryway and hallway, what product exactly would you purchase? I believe these floors are typically "floating", with "lock-together" system. Planning on DIY install. Please give me details!!! All advice is welcome. Thank you.
Mannington Adura
Karndean
Armstrong Luxe Plank
EarthWorks
Other Brand - Please provide details.
I would not recommend this type of product and I will explain reasoning in the Comments below.

Comments (710)

• imagiadler
    6 years ago

Has anyone had experience with paradigm longboards? Finally found the color tone we were looking for and supposedly totally waterproof. Cloud nine is color tone we chose. Any comments or experiences would be very much appreciated

• PRO
    Shaw Floors
    6 years ago

Hi @lynprui34, we’re glad to hear you’re interested in our New Market vinyl flooring for your home! We wanted to pass along some info surrounding this type of product as you make this important decision. LVP is naturally water-resistant and some styles are even waterproof, like Floorté, which blocks water at the seams. A lot of LVP options, including the New Market planks you are looking at, have a very realistic wood look. This is a good opportunity to have that look of hardwood with the functionality for it make sense in all rooms, including areas that could experience water/moisture like the bathroom and kitchen. Please let us know if you have any questions!

• Related Discussions

Wood-look porcelain tile or Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring?

Q

Comments (53)
    I vote for floating, click, wood look, luxury vinyl plank. I especially like the style with knots and chatter marks. Lay it throughout the whole house, on the diagonal, with no thresh holds. That's what I did. I can clean the entire house in approximately five minutes with an electric leaf blower. Porcelain tile is more durable however it is more expensive to buy, more expensive to install, and more expensive to uninstall. Also, some tile is extremely slippery when wet whereas wood grain LVP is not slippery at all. Five years later I am happier than ever I chose grey driftwood luxury vinyl plank for a house with dogs, kids, beach sand, and lots of wet feet. If the house gets inundated from storm surge and ocean water gets inside, I can unclick the LVP, clean and dry the subfloor, and then reinstall the same LVP and it will look as good as new.
    ...See More

wood floor or luxury vinyl plank?

Q

Comments (3)
    Absolutely agree with Jan - LVP is just plastic - I don't even think it can go over real wood. Put the REAL thing in your kitchen and refinish to a different color if you must.
    ...See More

Installing Luxury Vinyl Plank next to Porcelain Wood Tile??

Q

Comments (7)
    What did you decide to do in your bedroom? You wood porcelain tile is so pretty. Do you know the brand and color it is? I’m struggling between LVP and wood like tile too.
    ...See More

engineered wood or luxury vinyl planks

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, in general the higher mills = more durability. As you have a thicker top surface to protect against indentation or scratches. Here's a white oak laminate that you may like. I've recommended this product as an installer for clients who were initially looking for vinyl. The reasons why I like to recommend it to my customers: 100% waterproof (submersible for 24 hrs) and has the highest durability rating possible (AC6 - which means it is recommended for heavy commercial applications). The high durability and moisture resistance lends itself favorably to be a recommended "pet proof" product. On the other hand, SPCs are also a great alternative to vinyl planks as they are more rigid in nature and tend to be more durable (most of them you will notice will advertise "petproof" as a selling point).
    ...See More
  • Patricia Templet
    6 years ago

I know this is an older thread but wanted some advice on an SPC/LVT by a fairly new company Lockwood floors selling under the brand name of Neptune. The planks are coated with a quartz-enhanced urethane wear layer to protect against heavy foot traffic scuffs and scratches. It is tested to withstand extremely high heat and did not delaminate in controlled testing. There is a very impressive video of the flooring on youtube. The rigid core is made of 100% virgin material and contains 60% limestone and what gives it its strength, rigidity, and waterproof properties. They claim to be 3 times more rigid and 10 times more impact resistant than standard LVT or WPC. It also can be installed in over 6400 sq ft without a transition. When exposed to temps in excess of 144 degrees after 6 hours there were no deformations. It got a lifetime residential warranty and a 15-year commercial warranty. We did consider putting it in our bathroom but since have decided to do tile. We are going to put this in the Kitchen though. Before we do I would like some feedback on to whether anyone has heard of this product or have used it. I particularly would like advice from Fantastic Floors and Cancork flooring.

• Nonof Yrbiz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A year and a half ago I asked for advice here and got plenty, thank you all! Disregarding much of it, I ended up getting Karndean loose lay plank installed a couple months ago (right after hurricane Irma hit). It went in fast and easy directly on the terrazzo, no underlayment, no glue, very little tape. I’ve already had water intrude under the front door and one of the dogs has peed on it. I was able to lift the planks, clean everything and replace the planks easily. The door has been repaired and the dog survived. I love the look. Its nice to walk on. It’s very quiet. Dropped breakables don’t always break. It seems impervious to our excesses. Only time will tell for sure but we are pretty destructive here and I think I’d know by now if it were going to suck. Just wanted to let y’all know and thanks again.

• Blaze and Piper's Mom
    6 years ago

Great to hear your comment on Karndean LL. I’ve had my Cambridge in the living areas (1000sf) almost 3 years and couldn’t be happier. In fact, I just received my shipment for 400sf additional to install tomorrow. Good luck. I think you’ll be pleased with your choice.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago

WARNING....we had Modeleo Embellish installed..DO NOT use this brand...they have no edging that matches....they use another company to match, which doesn't match!

• Susan Smith
    6 years ago

Anyone install Smartcore Ultra LVP plank flooring- Lowes product? How is it holding up?

• zannej
    6 years ago

How much does the Karndean cost and where is it sold? I don't have a lot of places in my area that sell vinyl plank and local sales tax is 11% so I need to get something inexpensive.

I saw something at Samsclub that looked interesting https://www.samsclub.com/sams/engineered-vinyl-whiskey-barrel-oak/prod22070556.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2&pid=_Aff_LS&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-iRS58j7T.EMhIsMZBmgwkg&pubNAME=Skimlinks.com

Anyone ever heard of that brand?

• Pj Bob
    6 years ago

Has anyone used southwind authenticplank or their harbor plank. I see someone else asked as well and received no response. We live in a high end area and it seems many interior designers are putting it in the very high end homes. Thank you just curious because we are considering it.

• kalenayoung
    6 years ago

@Pj Bob

we had the Southwind product installed in a rental condo and it looks beautiful. I can’t tell you about durability because we haven’t been back in the unit. The planks were large in size but that ended up not detracting from the look.

For best results:

a 8 mil or more WEAR layer

FINISH layer with either aluminum oxide or ceramic beads **this is really important**

minimum of 3 mm thickness-anything less will “Telegraph”, or show any unevenness from the underlying surface.

Unfortunately salespeople rarely know what I’m asking about so I just ask for the spec sheet.

The maximum wear layer I found at Home Depot was 6 mils.

Good luck!

• B V
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread. Is anyone still here? Thinking of doing the Kardean. New construction with concrete basement floor. My installer says he does not need to sand prep. I think he does to be on the safe side. Can this be applied directly the the concrete floor with minimal prep? Lastly, does it fade? This is a walkout that does get direct sun sometimes

• Chantal M613
    6 years ago

We keep getting comments. I have ordered metroflor.

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

BV it either needs to be prepped or it does not, why do you think it does?

• Chantal M613
    6 years ago

We are putting in a beautiful wood-look LVP made by metrofloor in the kitchen. What should i do for baseboa

rds?? Any good ideas?

• donnashull
    6 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with the Krause Entrend LVT? I am looking at the Urban Artistry Line.

Fantastic Floors mentioned the product in August 2017....any comments?

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

Donnashull, Sandra with Fantastic Floors - It is a beautiful product, no Phthalates, Krause is a great Canadian company.

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

Chantal, that looks beautiful, any pictures? Most people do white MDF - flat stock is popular right now.

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

kalenayoung I do not agree on the 8 mill being mandatory unless you are talking about including the pad. Wear layer is WAY more important. For some situations a 5 mil is a better product, if well made.

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

Patricia, sorry I missed the old post - I hope your job went well! I have neptune is my showroom, no issues although it is not the most popular visually in my area ;)

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

FYI, If not known by all. Shaw purchased Cortec so the new shaw planks and tiles are AMAZING ;0 I did not like the old patterns for my taste. Good move shaw ;)

• donnashull
    6 years ago

Sandra. Thanks for the comments. What kind of customer feedback have you gotten, if any? Positive or Negative...

Urban Artistry is 12 mil wear layer...what are your thoughts on 12 vs 20mil for average household use? No pets at this point, 2 adults in the house....

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

12 is fine for a lot of people, 20 is better and now we have even 20 =) I say, treat it like you would hardwood - felt pads etc.

• Sandra loa
    6 years ago

Meant to say 30.

• donnashull
    6 years ago

Thanks Sandra

• Trudy Peterson
    5 years ago

I'm looking for advice on what rugs and pads safe for Lugury vinyl flooring??

• Sandra loa
    5 years ago

Trudy, Typically they will have a tag that says safe for vinyl floors - some of the cheap or older styles will still turn them yellow. When in doubt, add a protective pad that is specifically made safe ;)

• Sandra loa
    5 years ago

Donnahull, specifically feedback of what kind?

• Sandra loa
    5 years ago

I found the best description on this natural handyman site:

There are two possibilities, depending on whether your floor is vinyl or linoleum.

1) Small rubber mats and throw rugs with non-skid backings have certain additives in the rubber, called antioxidants, which help the rubber stay supple and flexible for many years and many washings. Unfortunately, these antioxidants also can react with linoleum and vinyl flooring, producing a characteristic staining or discoloration.

Unfortunately, this staining is not removable, so the best defense is a good offense... don't use any rubber-backed rugs on your vinyl floor unless it is clearly marked as non-staining to vinyl floors!

By the way, this problem is not limited to rugs. Rubber feet on stools and rubber wheels on microwave carts can also cause this problem. Metals, hard plastic and wood generally do not cause this sort of staining.

2) There is a second type of discoloration that is peculiar to linoleum, called "blooming". Linoleum's base ingredient, linseed oil, oxidizes when exposed to light. This reaction brings out the "true color" of the floor, according to Armstrong Flooring. However, if the floor is covered with a rug or refrigerator, the area may appear yellowish. Fortunately, the true color will reappear if the area is exposed to light again for a length of time.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

With my LVT in the kitchen and LVP in two bedrooms, I've been advised not to use rubber backed rugs and mats. Love both, BTW.

• Crystal Pait
    5 years ago

Having a hard time. Fixing my 91 yr old hardwood will bust my budget. LV will save it. Kitchen, dinningroom and living room. Open concept. Want to stay somewhat period. What would you do? Fix the hardwood and eat it or go LV.

• khegrat
    5 years ago

My new Shaw Luxury Vinyl Plank floor

• PRO
    Fantastic Floors
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hey Everybody! Let's respark the conversation! Just in case you haven't seen the new vinyl stairs yet, I've attached some pictures! THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This is what we used in our coastal condo....we LOVE it! It is Global Gem Driftwood; Banded Olive

• Luv Seabrook
    4 years ago

Fantastic Floors -- can I get LVP stairs in Global Gem/Coastal/Sand Dollar?

• Sheryl Read-slaughter
    3 years ago

Fantastic floors---what is the name of the flooring on the steps you posted?

• User
    3 years ago

GAH LVP should be outlawed. Save your money for some hardwood or engineered wood.

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

What does GAH stand for? I love my global gem Sand Dollar flooring installed in entire house on the coast. The hardwood look I wanted would have been a budget buster because of my 1970s era home remodel. Floors were all uneven. Used compounding to level out as well as possible without replacing entire sub floor.

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

More light on this section

• User
    3 years ago

'Gah" is an exclamation akin to "gag" or "urgh."

I hate LVP with a burning hot passion. It always looks fake. It will be the 70s faux paneling of the 2020s. I would never advise anyone to put it. But I am surely outvoted and people will do what they feel is best.

We just rip our all carpeting and plastic flooring when we buy houses. But that is us.

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

Thanks for educating me on that Is1114! I probably wouldn’t put LVP in our primary home either. But I LOVE it in a rental beach property with uneven floors. And I’m getting too old to deal with the mess associated with refinishing hardwoods. I think that the wood look tile is worse looking in terms of fakeness. Oh well, to each his own!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    3 years ago

LS1114, I totally agree and would put wood-look ceramic tile in the same category.

• HU-340472968
    3 years ago

@Luv Seabrook could you link the Sand Dollar Flooring you used? Is it vinyl plank or real hardwood? It looks great!

• Sandra loa
    3 years ago

@Luv Seabrook your floor looks beautiful, ignore the haters ;) I see more crappy looking hardwood than I do anything else.

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

Thanks Sandra! Lol I hadn’t even seen those comments. I get so many compliments on that floor. I absolutely love it. It’s in a beach house. I have hardwoods in my primary home and they are really hard to keep nice looking. They are scratched all over. My LVPs don’t show any scratches. And I love the continuity of the flooring throughout my house. So there. I have both and my LVP looks better. And if I want to change it out down the road....easy peasy, compared to sanding and staining. Been there and done that.

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

Regarding the question about linking. It’s coastal gem Sand dollar LVP.

• Sandra loa
    3 years ago

2021 update, for anyone looking. Last year at the Surfaces flooring convention. Provenza won "best of show" for vinyl planks. They are, in my opinion, by far some of the best looking planks out there right now. At of everything I could choose, including real wood, I am using them in my home. As terrible as that may sound to wood lovers ;)

• Luv Seabrook
    3 years ago

Provenza does make beautiful vinyl planks. I ordered a sample in 2019 and would have used them but got a great deal that I couldn't pass up on my Coastal Gem floor.

• JyChar
    last year

My friends told me that since we have kids and our house has many windows it's best for us to use SPC (Stone Polymer Composite) vinyl floors than the WPC vinyl floors. The thicker the thckness, the better it is for us they said. I read online and it says that SPC vinyl is better if you have kids and your area is hot with many windows, so we only shopping for SPC in particular. We recently saw the Medieval Floors Libourne 8mm thickness SPC with 20mil wear layer vinyl planks at a store in Vacaville and we love it as its so natural looking and no wood knots as we like the contemporary clean look and they shared us 3 installed pictures of it below. We just can't stand too much knots in every planks. Anyone has installed this brand before? Any comments would be appreciated.

• Jo Bo
    last year

@fantastic floors - what is that?? Love it so much.

• Mathew Stucki
    9 months ago

Inception 200 Waterproof SPC by METROFLOR installed on our main floor. Looked great when it went in. Six months later, we started to notice separation occurring. Still getting worse and is only happening on this floor. Never had this problem with vinyl planking on our other levels.