SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamondindave

Picked/Ate my first Mandarinquat. Review.

calamondindave
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I picked our first Mandarinquat yesterday. The single ripe fruit was already on the tree when we bought it last year. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with it very much at all, but to be fair, the fruit was left on the tree for WAY too long. It was dry & kind of puffy inside. Not a good specimen for a taste test. I just wasn't sure when to pick it, having never done so before, and left it on too long.

The amount of seeds inside was astonishing. Seeds were all through the fruit. There was not much juice at all.. It would have been hard to squeeze any juice out, had I tried. I sliced it in half and my dad and I each tried eating one. The rind was thick and pretty much tasteless. I expected the rind to be sweeter. We ended up tossing it in the woods instead of finishing it.

What juice flavor was inside was VERY pleasant tasting, just the right amount of sour & sweet flavor I like. I think a correctly ripened & picked fruit would be much better and juicer. I'm going to pick the fruit at the right time next time and see if they have more juice.

Here are some pics for those interested.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus