SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hennen

Sod laid on clay now dying - how to rejuvenate?

hennen
7 years ago

Southeast Michigan, Zone 6a, Kentucky Bluesgrass.

Our house was built 5 years ago. The builder brought in a bunch of soil with a high content of clay then put sod right on top of it. We have sprinklers.

For the first two years the grass was fine. For the last three years it has been on the decline. Summer of 2016 there was a large die off. Lots of dead patches, then a TON of weeds filled in the bare spots. I pulled weeds and tried over seeding, but I am pretty sure I started too late in the season. Some grass came in, but mostly more weeds.

The lawn where clay soil was not brought in looks really great, lush, and mostly weed free.

Every year I put down Dimension as a pre-emergent and for the past two years fertilized with milorganite. I spot treat weeds with 4-Speed XT (2,4-D, triclopyr, dicamba, and pyraflufen-ethyl), though I didn’t this year since I was trying to over seed.

3 years ago I top dressed with compost and in 2016 with a compost/soil mix.

I’ve run out of ideas of my own. The only thing I can think of next is to take out the clay and bring in some decent soil, but that is drastic and expensive. Does anyone have any ideas of something to try first?

Thank you!

Comments (25)