SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjgw

Dwarf nectarine tree planted too deep? Animals stealing fruit?

cjgw
7 years ago

I planted a dwarf nectarine tree 3 years ago. I can't remember exactly how I did it but I believe I just followed the instructions that came with it. Well, although it's a dwarf tree, I'm thinking it should be taller now after 3 years. Right now, it's 4 feet tall at its highest point. I'm wondering if I might have planted it too deeply. Looking into this issue, I see some signs that this might be the case. Early on, I noticed what looked like some root shoots growing UP and coming out of the soil. The trunk itself also just looks like it's too deep in the soil. I've attached a couple of photos. Does it look like I planted it too deeply? If so, what can I do about it at this point?

We didn't get any fruit on it until last spring when it grew maybe 4 or 6 smallish nectarines. I believe it might have been attacked by thrips, as the fruit's appearance looked similar to examples I saw online. It had peach leaf curl that year as well. This winter, I treated it with some anti-fungal spray so I'm hoping that at least takes care of the leaf curl problem.

But then there's another problem. Last year, all the fruit on the tree was eaten by some kind of animal. I'd find half-eaten nectarines under the tree. After the first couple were eaten, I put some chicken wire around the tree and some netting over it but somehow the rest of the fruit was still eaten. Any tips on how can I best protect the fruit on the tree this year?

So to sum up, my questions are:

1) Should the tree be taller after 3 years?

2) Did I plant the tree too deep? Could its shortness be a result of that?

3) If so, what can I do to fix this? When should I do it?

4) What can I do about the thrips this year?

5) What can I do to prevent the fruit from being stolen this year?

Comments (11)