SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy_parr

Help with new build kitchen. Prep sink? Etc

Stacy Parr
7 years ago

Can someone help me with my kitchen layout? So we have already submitted the plans but haven't broken ground yet. Originally the idea was to create a butler's pantry in the pantry with a countertop where I can store my small appliances and do some prep. I was thinking I would put a prep sink in there, so we could make coffee, use the toaster, blender, etc in there. We had to make the pantry a little smaller to buy more room in the mudroom, plus the pantry is not as close to the kitchen as ideal. My husband convinced me he wanted to make his coffee on the long side counter, so we moved the prep sink over there. However, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to have the prep sink at the end of the island (in front of the fridge area). We are planning on doing no upper cabinets on the sink area, as I wanted large windows there. There will be uppers on the rear wall over the stove they just aren't drawn in. The island is rather large (the top will be about 88"x60") and we will have seating for at least five (around the corner I'm thinking) . I will do my primary prep work there. The long wall will have an integrated desk which is continuous with the remaining countertop (we will put a cutout underneath and have a barstool as a seat) so I can use it for a buffet area for foods and such when we have guests and parties. My husband wants a small wine fridge but I'm worried that space is going to seem tight. I'm leaning towards doing mostly drawers as lowers in the entire kitchen. I HATE clutter on countertops so I'm trying to maximize everything to reduce that...I actually worry about having dishes out to dry (our dishwasher always leaves plastic ware pretty wet and we have 3 small children) and was wondering if I could put in a faux drawer that is actually a drying rack ? I've done a search and not turned up much there.

a few questions: do you think I will actually do any prep in the pantry? It sounds good in my head but I'm worried the space may actually be too small to really do so

Where would you place the prep sink?

where would you put the microwave and trash?

the original plans had the dishwasher to the right of the sink, we had him move it, but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. ?

any other general input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (12)