SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atara_berliner

Anyone have serious experience with LED grow lighting?

atara berliner
7 years ago

Hoping someone here can help -

A year and a half ago I started a project to try and raise citrus from seed to fruit in NY by giving them better than usual growing conditions in this area. To that end I installed a small 8x8 greenhouse with decent insulation and basic heating to grow them in. Although the greenhouse sits in a far north corner of the prop and therefor receives plenty of sunlight through out the day, I purchased an LED fixture to give them supplemental light as well - especially during the shorter winter days - hoping to try and speed up their maturity by providing better conditions. The LED was an expensive 1000w equivalent with modes for different light spectrums and timers - specifically I purchased this light - KindLED K51000.

The problem was and still is that no matter how high i place the light above the plants and no matter how low i set them (Ive gone down to 10% of their capability) the lights seem to scorch the plants and actually appear to be stunting their growth . I have tried them on and off for the past year and a half, and although the trees are overall flourishing, it is mainly when I REMOVE the lighting that they do well. When the lights go on - as is during winter - they simply seem to scorch the leaves and prevent them from growing.

Needless to say it has been frustrating as I want to be providing the trees with more red spectrum lights and overall would like them to acclimate so during the winter i can give them much longer daylight hours.

The light company was at a loss to explain why this should be happening (in fact originally they attempted to sell me 4 fixtures that they said I would need to light my 8x8 space well!) and are insistent that it must be some other factors causing this. But I have been experimenting with them for a year and a half and it is absolutely clear that it is the lighting that hurts the plants. Ive received some advice from botanists I am friendly with but none had real experience with LED lighting - they seem to think that its TOO much light for the plants since the greenhouse is well lit without them. This might be plausible, but even during the winter - during periods when they were ONLY on during dark/nighttime hours - they still caused the burning. Also, the company as well as a marijuana grower I consulted who does have experience with the lights claim that theres no way the lights could be "too much" for the trees.

The light hangs at most , about 3 feet from the tops of the plants and I place the taller ones off to the side so they only receive indirect light.

Additionally, I have tried placing light diffusing cloth (double layered) over the lights to make them less extreme - and STILL had the burning.

So for now, I have taken them down altogether in the hope that my plants are just too young for such intense lighting , but I really want to know whats going on especially as the light was such an expense and I'm currently getting no use from it.

So, any ideas?

Comment